Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by tjradj
I'd give my left arm for good fabric at $8/yd. Here in SW Ontario, quilt store fabric is $15/meter and up. Batiks are even more.
"Cheap" stuff is $10- $12/Meter (just bigger than a yard)
Warm and Natural batting is $69 for a queen size package.
Needless to say, I wait for sales.
With the Canadian $ being so close to par with US right now, it's almost worth the tank of gas to shop over the border, and I'm 3 hours away!
You're welcome to come and shop here; we're about 45 minutes south of Niagara Falls. Right now most of our current lines are $8.40-$8.60 / yard, some of the future groups are going to have to be $8.80 but none of the 44"-wide goods are priced at more than that. We just don't want to cross that $9/yard boundary if there's any way around it. And we also have less expensive fabrics in the range of $5 - $7 / yard. We're only open weekdays 9-5 (that's the benefit to us workers, for being a mostly-online business - we get to have weekends off).

But you won't want to come shopping right now 'cause of the snow. Give us another day or two to get cleaned up! Thought I do see some blue sky... gee, that wasn't in the forecast!

:thumbup:
Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

yep, we are all going to stock up on fabric before it gets too high.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Don't forget to sign up for your mail to home coupons, they have a 40% off a single item and that covers I cut of fabric. I also take the coupon down to staples or office max and make 4 or 5 color copies of the coupon and use then thru out the week to get all of my fabric for a project, also good on notions etc. The gig is you can only use one coupon per transaction so if you have multiple things and want to use another coupon you have to take your stuff to the car and come back and get your next cut of fabric or other items, but it is well worth it.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 AM

From what I've heard, the cost of cotton has gone up because of China buying as much as they can. The old supply & Demand thing.

I know from our experice buying fabric for the store, the cost of cotton fabric has increased 25 to 30% in the last several months, and it doesn't look like it is going to stable out either.

We still sell fabric at between $4.50 to $7.95 (batiks) but may be forced to raise it in the future.

We will hold the line as long as we can, but we have to repurchase fabric to replace what we sell.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm with you. Now I know why I built up that stash! Made 22 quilts for family members last year and didn't buy any fabric - all from my stash.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM

For those of you who have been building your stash over the years, you're very lucky. For those of us who are beginners and have no stash, it will be costly to continue quilting, especially for those of us who are retired and on a fixed income. I will try to buy fabric on sale in order to continue to quilt because I'm really enjoying learning. It will be a good idea to buy some Christmas fabric after the holidays when it goes on sale.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 AM

Just FYI - we went to the Ava MO Walmart yesterday, and was told that they were in line for a remodel in June. Of course I asked him if they were ripping out the fabric dept and he said that they originally WERE, but for "some reason" they were leaving it in with a new look..... do you think that "some reason" was maybe perhaps getting an overload of %$#@ complaints of eliminating that dept?? Good job ladies! - oops! men too!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The prices at JoAnn's has gotten more ( alot more) than I think the quality warrents.
I agree. That is why I only buy when it is at least 40% off!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by QazyQltr
Darn keyboard ... meant to say CAN'T afford to quilt
Knew what you meant! LOL!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
For those of you who have been building your stash over the years, you're very lucky. For those of us who are beginners and have no stash, it will be costly to continue quilting, especially for those of us who are retired and on a fixed income. I will try to buy fabric on sale in order to continue to quilt because I'm really enjoying learning. It will be a good idea to buy some Christmas fabric after the holidays when it goes on sale.
Surfergirl: You think like I do! Just pulled some Christmas fabric from my stash, and it is salvage dated 2004. I probably bought after the holiday, for less than $3/yd. I have sewn for such a long time, I was always buying fabric for one reason or another, but usually had more projects than time and energy!
My DD claims my stash will outlive me! Thinks I could sew full-time for the rest of my life just from my stash!
I'll give it a try! Penny