Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The yard needed mowed anyway!

The yard needed mowed anyway!

We've all had these quilts, and these bad quilting days, but honestly! This is the baby quilt I asked advice on, as I had no pattern. I will think REALLY hard before I do another quilt without a better plan. Finally put the panels together and attached to the center medallion, put it on the design wall: it's too narrow. It needs one more 6" block, in the middle of each row of course, which means taking every panel apart, taking the piano keys off the medalion, since they'll have to be longer now, etc. So, I spent the evening with my seam ripper, consoling myself that I would be much happier with the finished project. The next morning I made the 6 extra 9-patch blocks with the last of the cream colored material. When I ironed them, I realized I'd just made 6 precious 3" 9-patches instead of 6." That's when I went outside and mowed the yard.

I will regroup and finish this quilt, and post pictures, but what remains of this fabric, including the 3" 9-patches, is going into a pay-it-forward! I NEVER want to see this fabric AGAIN!

Thanks for letting me vent!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Bless your heart. I know how you feel. I have done the same thing. Hope your day gets better.

Oh I can feel your frustration. As many many years I have been sewing/quilting I still have days my brain just is not wired for anything with sissors, thread, or quilting math. The lawn was a good choice!
    Here is hoping your next sewing/quilting time is without difficulty and you can enjoy all of the reasons you love it.

It is amazing how we can goof up something simple. After making 100 quilts I can still goof up something simple and do it too often. I hope you will have a better time today.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I feel your pain. I recently took a class at a retreat. The pattern was scrappy and every othere block was a snow ball with an applique in the center. The instructor had us made 2 rows of the quilt in class and then finish the rest at home. I did my 2 rows and then after the retreat I put the rest of my quilt together. As I looked at the quilt I decided I really didn't like the pattern As I studied the quilt I realized I had not made snow ball blocks. They were just plain blocks. No wonder I didn't like the quilt. I spent the evening with my seam ripper.
    Lorraine

Yes, we all have those days. Glad when they are over.

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see the pictures so we know what fabric and baby quilt you are referring to. Got my curiosity up.

Oh man! I just did that! I got all the pieces cut for my DGD's graduation quilt, and then got word that she wasn't going to graduate in May because she had decided to pick up a second major (college). Anyway, I decided to make one of the blocks just to see what it would look like...and it was so pretty I posted it on another board. Then when I looked at the picture, there was SOMETHING WRONG! The pinwheel in the center of the block was minus a blade! At least it was only one block, but I'm glad I caught it now. I feel really bad for you. Hope you can find enough fabric to make the larger blocks...sounds like you have already put in a lot of work. That lawn mowing can really work off your frustrations, especially if you use the push mower and run!

You certainly have my sympathy! Most of us have probably been in similar situations. {{{{{ BIG HUG }}}}}

Blog Entries
    OUCH. But, at least you have some cute 3" blocks for another project completed!!!! (i know this doesn't really help, but i am trying to see the positive side)

I had one of those days yesterday...making a quilt for my newest GN and flubbed up whichever way you can think of. First I didn't have enough blocks, then when I made a few more, I had too many. Some of the blocks were pinwheels and of course, the corners are off. Then the colors I picked just don't want to meld as they should...but you know what? When I get through, this one will be her "sit and spit" quilt, and I'll make her another "girly" one a little later when I have all my faculties (??) again!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    amazing how many times I can make the same mistake over and over!! At least the lawn is done!! And you got some exercise!! Plus you have 3" blocks for something else! Hope you have enuf fabric to fix it!! Show us when your done!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    We've all had these quilts, and these bad quilting days, but honestly! This is the baby quilt I asked advice on, as I had no pattern. I will think REALLY hard before I do another quilt without a better plan. Finally put the panels together and attached to the center medallion, put it on the design wall: it's too narrow. It needs one more 6" block, in the middle of each row of course, which means taking every panel apart, taking the piano keys off the medalion, since they'll have to be longer now, etc. So, I spent the evening with my seam ripper, consoling myself that I would be much happier with the finished project. The next morning I made the 6 extra 9-patch blocks with the last of the cream colored material. When I ironed them, I realized I'd just made 6 precious 3" 9-patches instead of 6." That's when I went outside and mowed the yard.

I will regroup and finish this quilt, and post pictures, but what remains of this fabric, including the 3" 9-patches, is going into a pay-it-forward! I NEVER want to see this fabric AGAIN!

I think we have all had some of those days. It seems like there are someday's we should just stay in bed, lol....Just do it another day, it will turn out just fine. Then you will look back on it and be glad you finished it, bless you.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Here is a BIG hug just for you. Take a deep breath and turn on your favorite music before you start again.

I just discovered that I did something very similar yesterday. I can't even go back to look at it. What was I thinking?
    I truly feel your pain. Try to keep your chin up.

Blog Entries
    We've probably all been there. Sometimes it is good to walk away and do something else. It gives up courage to go back and fix it.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    Don't you just hate projects like that? Seems the more you work at getting something to fit, the less it fits. You have my empathy for your pain.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

oh I've had to set projects aside just so I could ponder about how to fix the situtation
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Happens to all of us now and again!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

There have been lots of times I have had to walk away. When I have to do a lot of unsewing, I take a break and do like you did and get the seamripping done. Things will be better. Good luck!

Hugs,hugs,hugs~~~ Now,hope you feel better.

Understand completely
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Understand, walking away is better than getting more frustrated and really making a mess. Now you don't have to worry about the lawn. (for a week or two) Bet it looks good. Mowing sometimes helps me think clearer. When you finish your masterpiece am sure you will be proud of all the time it has taken.

I am with you on this one. Yesterday I spent some time doing echo around the designs on a baby quilt panel I had started. I was feeling pretty good about doing this (as I have "hated" quilting in the past) so I decided to move on to doing meandering in the borders. I chose variegated thread and was happy with the results on the half of the border I had finished....until I turned it over and looked at the bobbin side. UGH.....nasty, horrible, terrible. What was I thinking????
    Obviously the tension was off.....the upside is that removal was great because nothing was tight. My iron has died so when I buy a new iron with steam I will steam out the holes in the border and start over. No problem as I have about 3 weeks to finish this (and another one for the same day).....darn these productive girls anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post

Ya, I've been there!
    Love 4 stchen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast