Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yardage purchases when buying for your  stash >

Yardage purchases when buying for your stash

Yardage purchases when buying for your stash

Old 02-16-2015, 06:01 PM

Apparently I qualify as a bigamist too. If it's on sale and I like it, I buy the rest of the bolt. I figure if I get 8 or 9 yards I can just about make anything with it. And, like several others, I have way too much stash. I'll never make all of it up before I die, but I have 2 daughters that will love to get it. And, no....I can't get rid of it. Some of it is just too pretty. Maybe one day I will start letting some of it go, but not yet.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 PM

I buy in the 1-3 yard range too, unless it is solid white or black which I buy by the bolt.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:50 PM

I buy 1/3 yard minimum nowadays, as it's more versatile than 1/4. If I really like it but it's pricey, 1 yard. If I like it and it's a good bargain, 2 yards.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Sometimes a print just cries out to be a back some day, especially if it is on sale. If I have backing in mind I will buy 5-6 yards.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:45 PM

I buy fat quarters at the lqs, and project specific yardage. But if I see a fabric I love, I usually buy 1-2 yards, depending on price. I always have tons of ideas racing around in my brain, so I know I'm going to use it sometime, someday, some way!!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM

my problem is I like EVERYTHING! It's a problem. LOL! If its a focus, then as much as I can comfortably afford, then fill in with one yard co ordinates. I try to get a few matching fabrics all at the same time. I'm still building a quilting stash.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:24 AM

I buy enough to make sure that I don't run out of what I am working on. If I need 1`-1/2 yds for binding I buy two yards, If I need 3 yards for backing I'll get four yards because I just may decide to do the binding in the color of the backing. I really don't buy more than I need. Plus a little more in case of a mistake. Which, of course, we have all been known to do one time or another........I am mostly another!!!!!!! This way I have all my bases covered. Edie
Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 AM

For me sometimes it's the price. If its a fabric I like and think I will use it in several quilts or as a backing I buy as much as I can afford. To add to stash I buy either fat quarters or 1/2 yard. If it's a sale - I buy all I can. Lol
Old 02-17-2015, 05:14 AM

Your question is a good on Skhf. What I found after some time as a quilter that if I LOVE the material I will purchase that 2 -3 yard cut. From time to time I will also go by how much is left on the bolt. If I buy all that is left and can get a good deal on the yardage, I'll buy it all. I once bought 10 yards of something that would make a good backing but because it was in a bargain area and I took it all I got it for $3 a yard. Really nice quality and something appropriate to use on the back of my scrappy quilts.

I also have to say that I have a large enough stash that I seldom buy fabric just because I like it any more. I am trying to discipline myself to use what I have and only purchase what is needed, when it is needed.

Happy shopping and enjoy this craft. You will find your passion and learn so much as you try new methods of being creative.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:20 AM

Iread somewhere if you like it buy 1 yard, if you love it buy 3 yards.