Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: Yellow Brick Road Pattern

  1. #1
    Senior Member Janet My's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    624

    Yellow Brick Road Pattern

    I want to make a yellow brick road quilt. I tried to do a search here but this new board does not seem to be working as well as the old board in the searches. (Unless I'm doing it wrong... can't see how... a search is a search.)

    Before I go out and buy the pattern... I wanted to check if anyone has a free one.
    (I always seem to buy a pattern only to find it the next day on here. LOL Figured I should ask 1st.)

  2. #2
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,479
    If I remember correctly there is no free pattern for this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Janet My's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    624
    Thanks so much Stitchnripper... You have no idea how many patterns I have purchased only to find the directions here on the forum. By the way... I love your screen name.... I'm currently sitting here ripping out some quilting I did that just didn't come out like I wanted it to.

  4. #4
    Super Member patchsamkim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fox Valley Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,937
    Yellow Brick Road is a pattern published by Terry Atkinson. It is not available for free.

  5. #5
    Senior Member quilter711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    513
    Blog Entries
    47
    I did a web search and could not find a free one. You might want to check on this board to see if someone would be willing to sell one. Good luck!!
    quilter711
    Nancy

  6. #6
    Super Member Jackie R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Louis Cnty, MO USA
    Posts
    1,046
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet My View Post
    I want to make a yellow brick road quilt. I tried to do a search here but this new board does not seem to be working as well as the old board in the searches. (Unless I'm doing it wrong... can't see how... a search is a search.)

    Before I go out and buy the pattern... I wanted to check if anyone has a free one.
    (I always seem to buy a pattern only to find it the next day on here. LOL Figured I should ask 1st.)
    Try to Google for a free yellow road pattern - probably would be a lot faster than trying to figure out this site.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Janet My's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
    Try to Google for a free yellow road pattern - probably would be a lot faster than trying to figure out this site.
    Jackie... I did that already... so... from what I'm reading here... I guess I may have to bit the bullet.

  8. #8
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,121
    That's correct, there is no free pattern for that particular quilt pattern, however there are many many free patterns on the fabric company sites, and some of them resemble the YBR. I bought the pattern and made one because it was the "rage" at that moment, but didn't really find it anything to write home about. Sorry I gave my pattern away already.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    not only is NOT free...but the ATkinson designs has really strict Copyrights on their patterns. You can not even use them to make a quilt to sell!

  10. #10
    Senior Member KerryK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Heart of Dixie, Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    not only is NOT free...but the ATkinson designs has really strict Copyrights on their patterns. You can not even use them to make a quilt to sell!
    Ya know, I totally understand and respect Copyrights, but I think not being able to sell a quilt made by their pattern is a bit over the top, IMHO! Looks like they would like their patterns to be seen by as many as possible! Can you give them away??? Geeeezzzzz ...

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,159
    I've never seen it free. I bought it and hated it. i think the reason for that is twofold; one i am color challenged and even though I had the LQS staff help me with fabrics, i couldn't make it work for me, two, after i cut the fabric, I felt like the directions dropped me off a cliff without a parachute! The directions suddenly became extremely vague to me.

    Now, I am the very logical type, worked as a systems analyst and usually can figure out directions, no matter how poorly written. Someone on the board suggested the pattern was too easy for me so I thought I was missing something in the directions and made it hard! That's possible, but I'm not usually a victim of 'analylsis paralysis'. My conclusion is that it was a case of fabric overload - too many fabrics/colors to co-ordinate and my brain just couldn't handle it!

  12. #12
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,060
    I made the pattern with just six fabrics instead of the recommended number....which I don't remember. I was very pleased with my quilt. I found the instructions a bit difficult, but I am not a real experienced quilter.

    Let me see if I can find a picture of mine. I was very pleased with the final results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Super Member JanTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    1,469
    Here's a thread showing one I made. I like the pattern and will use it again. Also taught two friends to quilt using this pattern. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t132228.html

    Have also used Turning 12 and Cheaper By the Dozen with similar results.
    So many quilts, so little time.

  14. #14
    Super Member SaraSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    AZ/Utah border
    Posts
    3,192
    Thanx for the photo Dina. The pattern is not to intense, but the colors you have are great!
    Absolutely nothing accomplished.
    The perfect day for a panda...

  15. #15
    Super Member Grandma58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    1,424
    I did it as well and I found it to be the most complex complicated not a bit clear nightmare pattern, oh and I hated it as well. I would not have gotten through it of some one at my local quilt store had not been often available to help. Of course I can not follow directions at all so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    I've never seen it free. I bought it and hated it. i think the reason for that is twofold; one i am color challenged and even though I had the LQS staff help me with fabrics, i couldn't make it work for me, two, after i cut the fabric, I felt like the directions dropped me off a cliff without a parachute! The directions suddenly became extremely vague to me.

    Now, I am the very logical type, worked as a systems analyst and usually can figure out directions, no matter how poorly written. Someone on the board suggested the pattern was too easy for me so I thought I was missing something in the directions and made it hard! That's possible, but I'm not usually a victim of 'analylsis paralysis'. My conclusion is that it was a case of fabric overload - too many fabrics/colors to co-ordinate and my brain just couldn't handle it!

  16. #16
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet My View Post
    Thanks so much Stitchnripper... You have no idea how many patterns I have purchased only to find the directions here on the forum. By the way... I love your screen name.... I'm currently sitting here ripping out some quilting I did that just didn't come out like I wanted it to.
    Janet, I spent some time yesterday helping a friend rip. Somehow I find it oddly satisfying. I should have put that in the thread "5 things we don't know about you"...

  17. #17
    Super Member franc36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,497
    I recently purchased the fabric to make a "Yellow Brick Road" quilt. I could not find a free pattern so I purchased one.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    233
    Here is a link to a free Brick Road pattern.
    http://www.how-to-quilt.com/patterns/brick-road.pdf

    And also a link to Wickedly Easy, which is similar to Brick Road. http://www.byannie.com/media/images/...s_patterns.pdf

    I have never done either of them, but would like to some day.

  19. #19
    Power Poster joyce888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    10,656
    Blog Entries
    1
    They're right about it not being free. I have the pattern and have made it but it's not one I'd want to part with just yet because I know I'll use it again (that's my intention anyway). If you have someone close to you that quilts, maybe it's a pattern the two of you could split the cost and both could use.
    Joyce

    Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

  20. #20
    Super Member SaraSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    AZ/Utah border
    Posts
    3,192
    Thanx Denise!!
    Absolutely nothing accomplished.
    The perfect day for a panda...

  21. #21
    Jim
    Jim is offline
    Super Member Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bardstown, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,241
    I figure if I buy it I paid for the right to do with it as I please...if they want me I'll give'em my address...maybe
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

  22. #22
    Super Member katesnanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,412
    Blog Entries
    15
    Thanks Denise.

  23. #23
    Senior Member sept97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    560

  24. #24
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I made the pattern with just six fabrics instead of the recommended number....which I don't remember. I was very pleased with my quilt. I found the instructions a bit difficult, but I am not a real experienced quilter.

    Let me see if I can find a picture of mine. I was very pleased with the final results.
    Dina, your colors are absolutely beautiful. I love that pattern, but I know my fuzzy brain would never get through the whole thing. Love yours!
    One step at a time, always forward.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Phyllis42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    high desert of AZ
    Posts
    593
    Blog Entries
    23
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6850815_dire...oad-quilt.html
    found same as sept97

    Has some helpful hints

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.