Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, it does matter

I find that if I take a photo of the blocks on the design wall I can see mistakes better than with the naked eye before they get sewn together.

Well Ladies, Over the short time that I have been quilting I have come to learn almost everything that has been quoted.

Actually I should have learned this, but did I? may not so good as I still keep making these same mistakes, particularly pressing on when I am tired :roll:

Maybe1day

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have learned that patience is a virtue especially when it comes to quilting. Being in a hurry does nothing but make a mess.
    Amen to that!
    Ditto!

I've learned that like toners the site to just take my time and enjoy the process. I also learned that people may not appreciate the time and effort of what goes into making a quilt so it's best to just let it go instead of dwelling on it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have learned that all of you matter, and all the help you give and all the kind words. you are all great. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    If you keep making mistakes, or the same mistake over and over again, just walk away and take a break! This also works for me when I just can't figure something out.
    I totally agree with this response. And don't be hesitant to pick out stitching that isn't right. I've never regretted it unless I found I had it right in the first place. LOL

I have learned that it never hurts to ask a question as long as you are asking this group I have learned that everyone here is willing to help and also willing to admit that they may be wrong after all everyone does things differently and no question is to silly THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT

Blog Entries
    I've learned that the "man on the flying white horse" is my BFF. 8->

I agree with all.

I've learned to NOT use the rotary cutter when tired...>OUCH!

I'm with you. I'm doing a simple 9 patch, but I'm taking my time. Ironing (with starch) enjoying the feel of the fabric and how nicely things are matching up (most of the time). Maybe the artistic side of me is enjoying things more.
    bdrbi
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Quote Originally Posted by DRogers870
    I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the process, and not be in such a hurry to finish.
    Wow! Me too!

Thank you all so much for your tips and advice. My sewing room and computer room are all in one so I check the message board several times aday while I am in here quilting.I was in some what of a slump but hearing from all of you has given me brand new inspiration! Susie Sew-a-lot

Measure twice, cut once.

Blog Entries
    I have learned that I really do matter to the folks on this site and that quilters respond with great compassion, understanding and helpful suggestions when I feel inadequate about my quilting.

Bev
    I've learned that x amount of hours spent on this board are equal to x amount of hours I am neither quilting nor doing housework. I've also learned that it'll all work out ok in the long run and I can stay on the quilting board as long as I want to as long as no one mentions it to my DH. 8-) :-D

Quilting should be enjoyable. It is okay to make simple patterns. Changing fabrics and colors can make a big difference in the look of the finished quilt. Once in awhile we should try to stretch our skill level, but not so often that we forget to have fun.

Blog Entries
    I've learned that it is important to RETHREAD my machine EVERY time I sit down to sew. That means even if I just leave the room for a minute. It saves time in the long run. It's amazing how many gremlins are just waiting for us to turn our backs.

I learned about the re-threading from my Pfaff dealer -AFTER an expensive repair. She told me it could have been avoided if I just did that one simple thing. You may NEVER have the problem I did, but why take a chance.

And always check to be sure you presser foot is DOWN before you start to sew. That rat's nest of thread on the under side of your sewing project is just WAITING to happen ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries
    I learned that ripping is part of making something I'm proud of.. and that I'd rather rip than look at something that should have been taken out for the next umpteen dozen years!

I've also learned that one of the sweetest thing you can do is when you hear your friend say "OH NO!" is to put down what you're doing and help her rip!!

I have learnt to enjoy each process.
    I have learnt that I have a lot to learn.
    I have learnt to be thankful for the day I found this board - all this expertise and no question is silly and no one is judged. Love to you all.
    Colleen

Hi CQ,

I beg to differ. You are experienced now. Look at all you have learned and how well you can state it. I know you won't repeat those errors. Unfortunately many quilters never go beyond making those error ... and never to learning how to avoid repeating them.

Maybe we could call you a moderately experienced quilter.

ali

Power Poster
    All of the above.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    I have learned to measure and measure twice before cutting fabric.
    But I have to remind myself to make sure the measurement is correct! Too many times I've measured twice, but incorrectly! :-(

Blog Entries
    I have learned to always press the piece as sewn, THEN open the piece and press seam towards the dark fabric. The hardest thing for me was to press, NOT iron.

I've learned that no matter how many quilts I make,i'll always have material. I think it multiplies while i sleep.

Yes, I am learning that you have to square your material very accurate before cutting, otherwise you end up with pieces fraying away in front of your eyes !!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast