Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, it does matter

Gosh I always square my material and yet there are some fabrics that no matter what I do they will fray like there is no tomorrow anyway. Very frustrating!

Maybe1day

I found out that no matter hoe careful you are when sewing a scrappy quilt the edges never line up and when you come to squaring the quilt you end up cutting a lot of fabric off that you could have had for something else--a waste of time sewing them on.
    Also when trying to sew sashing on and stippling up to it the sashing has a bad habit of wrinkling up as if I stretched it when sewing.

I learned to shut the rotary cutter guard when finished cutting. OUCH.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    I have really enjoyed this topic, reading all of the comments and advice. I am a real newbie - I swore that quilting was one of the things I would never do - and here I am all wrapped up in it! I did have a question - what kind of starch are you all using? I went to Hancock's and looked for a product called Best Press, and I guess it goes out the door about as quickly as it comes in. So my next step is to go to the grocery store and try to find something until the Best Press product is back on the shelves. I saw "Magic Sizing" in Target - would that work for starch? Or do you folks have something you like better? Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana
    ShirlR: I read recently on a different topic that Magic Sizing was better than starch because it won't attract bugs. Also, have read on this board that Wal-Mart has a product called Mary Ellen's (spray starch, I think) that many give the stamp of approval. Hope this helps. :-)

seemingly in the land of infants & toddlers!
    Quote Originally Posted by DONK
    I've learned that no matter how many quilts I make,i'll always have material. I think it multiplies while i sleep.
    LOL!! My DM wanted to use up the 'scraps' she had left after making 5 quilts for all the women in my DS' family. Each quilt had bits of the same fabric w/different extras added (if you know what I mean) She just finished her 4th quilt w/the 'scraps'!! And we're not talking scrap yardage here, but truly SCRAPS. What a hoot she is! Talk about mulitples - any quilt she makes becomes multiple!!

Blog Entries
    Best Press is really called Mary Ellen's Best Press. Mary Ellen is the same one that use to (maybe still does) have the HGTV show with all the household tips.....I can't remember the name of the show. I don't remember seeing a starch @ WM with Best Press or Mary Ellen on it. I buy the concentrated STA FLO and dilute it to my desired strength. Best Press is expensive and doesn't go very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    ...that at a certain point "being random" just ends up looking like a mess. There's got to be some ORDER to things, even if you're going scrappy.
    Thank you so much for saying that.

:wink:

I've learned that sometimes the slower you go when making a quilt/wallhanging the quicker you will finish it. For me, speed seems to equal mistakes which mean a lot of seam ripping.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaB
    ShirlR: I read recently on a different topic that Magic Sizing was better than starch because it won't attract bugs. Also, have read on this board that Wal-Mart has a product called Mary Ellen's (spray starch, I think) that many give the stamp of approval. Hope this helps. :-)
    :-D Thank you so much, Brenda! Not attracting bugs is really important when we think of quilt preservation! Wow, I hadn't heard that yet. Again, thanks loads! Shirley

I've learned your all the best. I check this board several times a day and learn something new everytime.

If you don't understand the directions just keep reading them until a light goes off!!!

To my sewing room I go,
    simple quilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    I can't see very well and "need" good lighting!
    and never sew in the evening as my background fabrics always get flipped!
    last night it was the WOW on my DWR quilt!
    so this morning I am ripping!
    Here, we call that "un-sewing". :-)

[quote=CompulsiveQuilter]I'm plugging away at a scrappy row-by-row sampler, and with each row I've decided to follow one more "rule" learned from you guys and a multitude of books.
    I've learned, YES, starch matters. I even starched the noodles I used.
    I've learned, YES, mark carefully. I eyeballed a row of flying geese on the small stars and the result ... well, you can figure it out
    I've learned, YES, you must square each block (and sometimes the components of each block)
    I've learned that YES, I should test my 1/4" seam and mark my machine. And I thought I knew my machine so well!
    I have learned that if you don't square up blocks that it is a pain to put a top together. Each seam that you make a tiny bit over steals from the next row that you have to attached to and eventually there is no fabic to attach the border too. No fudging.
    I have also learned that its important to have good rulers, sharp scissors and rotary cutter and for Gods sake do not cut fabric with a rotary when your tired. I have seen too many veteran quilters make a emergency trip to the doctor to get their wound sewn up. I also learned when you finish a big project you need to change the needle and do not wait until the old one breaks.
    You sew best when you have the same thread in the bobbin as well as on the spool for your project. Polyester stretches. It used to screw up my old Singer til someone told me that the bobbin does not like polyester. It can mess up the calibration. It costs $175.00 to have your machine calibrated and cleaned these days.
    What you sew late at night when your tired may well have to be ripped out in the morning after you have rested.

I've learned that YES, you should re-check the design wall after a good night's sleep.
    I've learned that NO, I'm not an "experienced" quilter. At best I'm a "confident beginner" who got in trouble with being lazy and over-zealous.
    What have YOU learned that really matters?[/q

I agree!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have learned that patience is a virtue especially when it comes to quilting. Being in a hurry does nothing but make a mess.
    I agree!!!!!

I've learned that it is well worth it to rip an inch from a piece of fabric and take all the time I need to be certain that it is on the straight of grain before cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    I've learned that a funny clicking made when the needle insert the fabric = replace the needle.
    I've just learned that too!

I've learned that when I "listen" to what my machine is telling me, we are the best team in the world! She tells me when I'm about to, or have already, screwed up. If I ignore her, she'll make me pay. And pay. So I guess I've learned she is the Alpha and I'm her servant.

And I've learned to challenge myself to sometimes make something I'm not wild about but someone else might really like, and to do an even better job on it than I might with something I'm very excited about.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree with that too. I have gotten so frustrated and kept trying to work on it but finally walking away and taking a break and come back and it all clicks together most of the time.

I really have to be careful to cut correctly or I end trying to figure out how to use the mistake I made. To be patient.

Blog Entries
    I need to print this out as my Mantra---before \i start sewing!!!! Thank you

I agree !!!!

I've learned that at some point you have to stop "shopping" and start quilting......LOL...I have just return from holidays with another load of "had to haves" from the quilt shops I visited along the way!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster
    Once again, sage advise from all! I have learned so much just even reading this topic.

I've learned that I can wrap clothesline with fabric and read the posts at the same time!
    I am wondering what wrapping clothesline with fabric is all about. Also, I too have learned so much from all of you. This is the greatest quilting site I have found. Thanks to all of you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    I've learned that x amount of hours spent on this board are equal to x amount of hours I am neither quilting nor doing housework. I've also learned that it'll all work out ok in the long run and I can stay on the quilting board as long as I want to as long as no one mentions it to my DH. 8-) :-D
    Bev, years ago my DH also would mention his disapproval of how much time I spent on either the computer or some other thing I enjoyed that maybe did not think made much sense to him. I think some families want you to be constantly doing for them and get jealous of your spare time being spent the way you choose. After years of dealing with that I got fed up and asked them if they enjoyed the meals, clean house etc. Of course they replied that they did. So I informed them that unless I could relax and do something that was just for me (no matter what it was) that I was not going to be as good at serving them. They could make their choice. That was the end of that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast