Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yikes!  what size? >

Yikes! what size?

Yikes! what size?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 AM

I have several quilt racks and both hold full sized quilts without a problem. My advice would be to make sure the holding bar sits far enough away from the wall to give room for the folded quilt to hang on it. Some rods are too close to the wall to get your folded quilt tucked in there. Good Luck! Remember to cover your rod with some scrap material as you dont want your quilt sitting on the wood.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Hi :!:

I was just reading quilting forum and I saw you ladies live in NW Ohio :-)

I live in Maumee Ohio--I usually go to JoAnne's and the Quilt Foundry. :D

It would be nice to get together sometimes :D
Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Hi :!:

I was just reading quilting forum and I saw you ladies live in NW Ohio :-)

I live in Maumee Ohio--I usually go to JoAnne's and the Quilt Foundry. :D

It would be nice to get together sometimes :D Yolanda
Old 11-06-2008, 04:39 AM

Hi Yoya, sounds like our Ohio clan is busy this month. I'm waiting for a special order from JoAnne's for window seat cushions. I've been searching for the material for over 3 years! Had my heart set on it, then couldn't find enough. I got 5 yards out in Montana this summer, but that's not enough. Maybe they'll call today.

And speaking of quilt hangers, I saw one somewhere that held the quilt by pressing the top between 2 long boards that sort of screwed/clamped together. Does anyone have something like that? Or have you seen a pattern for one?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:20 AM

i've seen the compression bars all over the internet, but i haven't seen a pattern nor do i know how they work. interesting concept, though!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 AM

this is about the pinching ones.....my husband made me one and it's a pain in the neck to change quilts. you have to hold the new quilt up straight while you're pinching or it doesn't hang straight and then you lose the top edge of your work. when you hang it up it's heavy and your arms get tired.

the better one he made for a different wall was this. he got nice wood, stained it to look like woodwork. screwed a backboard to the wall painted white to disappear and used brass screws to attach the 'woodwork' board to the white board at both ends for feature hardware. it hangs butted right against the ceiling where woodwork would go. he made the whole thing 10' long. i'll never hang a 10' quilt, but the board sticking out looks planned and like an accent. i slide the 'woodwork' board through the sleeve and it accommodates every size. it's nice because every time i finish a quilt, whatever size, i get to see it a while before it goes away. at the change of seasons. i put on whatever one i'm not using. i love it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM

butterflywing - would love to see a picture! this sounds like something maybe i could do myself!

thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by fabricluvr
butterflywing - would love to see a picture! this sounds like something maybe i could do myself!

thanks!
okay, this is another one of the same type. i'm showing this one because i have a pic. on this one the backboard and the frontboard are both white. it has a quilt on it but i hope it shows the board. it's in my living room.

it's pretty dark in this one, so i hope you can see it. if i turns out bad, i'll take ones of the other one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21859[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21859.jpe  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 PM

fabricluvr.. you can definitely do this yourself with help only on the holding it up. he drilled holes in the backboard before attaching it to the wall. he used anchors to screw the backboard to the wall. here's where you need help. screw through the backboard and the wall to attach the backboard firmly. that never comes off again. he drilled holes in the ends of the front board and drilled matching holes in the backboard, but he didn't screw through yet. at this time we slipped the frontboard inside the sleeve. now you need help again. with someone holding one end, you screw the other end through both boards loosely. go to the end being held for you and screw that firmly. go back to the first end and firm up the screws. make sure you center the quilt as you go.

does that make any sense? one person can do the building, but you need some help in the holding.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
does that make any sense? one person can do the building, but you need some help in the holding.
ahhh, now i get it. there are two boards, but the top/front one goes through the sleeve on the quilt. hmmm . . .

thanks for the idea!