Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you aFabric addict & quilt book addict? >

Are you aFabric addict & quilt book addict?

Are you aFabric addict & quilt book addict?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM

I'm there with all of you. The best quilting book ever in my opinion is All About Quilting from A to Z from Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, Quiltmaker Magazine and C&T Publishing.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

some ladies have sent me some quilt books and fabric and I love them all very much. so I guess I am a collector of both now. Penny
Old 03-16-2010, 05:56 PM

My first passion is buying fabric. My second is buying books. Now if I could just put them together and MAKE something!! It's kind of like a treasure hunt when your in a fabric store. Can't possibly leave without finding something to bring home.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Guilty. Books magazines, and free pattern websites. I need more stash, but my DH doesn't think so.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM

I have plenty of fabric, but probably not as much as some of you! Quilt books are a different story. I have so many!
I was glad to read that some of you collect cook books and quilt books. I have tons of cook books. I read them like novels. I have too many magazines, too. I buy more at quilt shows, because if I haven't read it or don't have it, it is new to me. Maybe I can pass some of them on to others at our quilt show. The last show that I went to sold magazines 10/$1.00. Of course, I bought ten!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 PM

I am both, I can spend hours looking at books, dreaming about how I could sew each and everyone. Of course I always over estimate my abilities (time). Then there is the fabric store, once I walk in, it's like a black hole, I get lost, and can't find the door, usually when it's new territory or a very good shop. (I love fondling the fabric). ;)
Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

I don't know what came over me recently but I donated a ton of quilt books I've had and not even looked at for a long time. That's a big deal for me b/c I am such a hoarder!
But in the last few months my husband and I have been longing to simplify- I don't know how long it will last but I don't miss one book I got rid of. I still have too many but for now at least there is some free space and a sense of accomplishment. As I went through them I knew which ones I no longer wanted or that they served their purpose with me. My fabric is a different matter altogether :D I'm not buying much but I really want to use up a lot meaning I want to make more quilts NOW !!! :D I have 3 boys and want to have at least several for each of them. At the rate I'm going they will have only one if we're lucky!
I also got rid of a lot of polyester batting b/c I hand quilt and don't like using it.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM

I honestly don't remember a time when I didn't love books. As a child, thanks to the Bookmobile, it wasn't unusual for me to read 300 t0 400 books over the summer. Yes, I had chores but my Mom always made sure there was time to read. My parents were also voracious readers and most of my siblings. Because we lived in a small rural community, I traveled the world in those books.Then when I was twelve, I discovered sewing and the benifits of making my own cloths. Thus began the love affair with fabric. In the mid to late sixties 5.00 would buy enough material for a dress and a skirt. No matter how hard things were (and believe me they were) my Dad could always come up with a 5.00 so that his "baby" could have a new outfit. From that meager start, the legend grew to a major stash. I consider myself the Will Rogers of fabric stores. I never met one I didn't like!!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honey
I honestly don't remember a time when I didn't love books. As a child, thanks to the Bookmobile, it wasn't unusual for me to read 300 t0 400 books over the summer. Yes, I had chores but my Mom always made sure there was time to read. My parents were also voracious readers and most of my siblings. Because we lived in a small rural community, I traveled the world in those books.Then when I was twelve, I discovered sewing and the benifits of making my own cloths. Thus began the love affair with fabric. In the mid to late sixties 5.00 would buy enough material for a dress and a skirt. No matter how hard things were (and believe me they were) my Dad could always come up with a 5.00 so that his "baby" could have a new outfit. From that meager start, the legend grew to a major stash. I consider myself the Will Rogers of fabric stores. I never met one I didn't like!!
I love your post!! Sounds like your parents had their priorities in order and you were a lucky daughter :) And I agree w/your Will Rogers quote also!!! :D
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm always checking out 2nd hand stores for quilting and cook books, find teasures every so often and feel great at the low prices!