Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a dedicated quilter? >

Are you a dedicated quilter?

Are you a dedicated quilter?

Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Maybe WalMart should look at these #s and expand and improve their sewing dept. instead of getting rid of them. It is getting harder to find decent supplies and fabric at a reasonable price.
Our Walmart fabric dept is closing this week. Many great bargains such as 100 percent cotton for 56 cents a yard. Went fast. I asked the clerk why are they closing the fabric department. She said they do make money on fabric but need that space for electronics.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Ran across this article this morning while having coffee!!!

http://www.quiltersvillage.com/conte...erica-2010.pdf
Yes, I'm dedicated! This might be helpful in an insurance claim, if there was a fire or whatever. Do think?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Wow! I a fairly new quilter and pretty dedicated--but somewhere I have to come up with about $60.000!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
interesting. on the other hand ...

"dedication" to the art is measured by how much we spend? that's downright insulting. not to mention elitiste and unfair.

dedicated quilter IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion): one who will find a way to quilt - without busting the family budget - no matter how high or low the family income is.
One can be a dedicated shopper and not really be much of a quilter. Some people fall in love with fabrics, books, and quilting supplies but spend little time using the things they buy. How much money you spend on quilting does not necessarily reflect dedication. Many quilters are dedicated but do not have large budgets for supplies yet they make many beautiful quilts. Your love of the art and the finding time and places to quilt reflect dedication, not money spent. I agree it is an insult for anyone to think that way. If you love quilting, manage to acquire fabrics, even if they are given to you and do what you have to to have time and space for quilting, you are a dedicated quilter.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM

at my house!

hugs, blue...
Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM

I have to quilt.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 PM

They do not know the real meaning of 'dedicated' anything. They obviously dont know much about quilters who are heart and soul into their craft. They are dedicated to money and i pity them... besides everbody knows Normal is just a setting on a washing machine!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Well I haven't read the article yet, only the thread, but if spending is an indicator, I am a dedicated quilter. By any other criteria, I am not. I don't mind piecing, but I don't especially enjoy it either. I HATE to quilt. Which is why I have a large bin full of unquilted tops. But I like the finished products, so that is why I do it. I really enjoy the process of genealogy more than quilting, and switch back and forth.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Maybe WalMart should look at these #s and expand and improve their sewing dept. instead of getting rid of them. It is getting harder to find decent supplies and fabric at a reasonable price.
Totally agree!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Totally agree!