Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know it's time to quit for the day when ... >

You know it's time to quit for the day when ...

You know it's time to quit for the day when ...

Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Okay....by how much?? :-)
I went from one corner of the quilt to the other while quilting a pattern with no bobbin thread. I left everything right there, turned off the machine and went to bed. Had a good laugh about it the next day, but not that night!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Booo Bad time. Those things always seem to happen in the evening, so I try very hard to do my cutting in the morning when I am fresh, and my mind more alert
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Oh honey, I've been there, done that so many times I've lost count. I once cut strips for a quilt, then discovered that they were not large enough and I had to cut more. I usually make these stupid mistakes when I'm tired, so now I try (notice I said TRY) to quit when I'm tired - tomorrow is another day and a better quilt.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 AM

Haven't laughed this hard in a long time! Thanks Folks.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 AM

You flip the edges back to trim the 1/4 inch paper piecing flying geese and inadverently cut their little wings right off. I turned out the lights and went upstairs to bed.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM

I've done this exact thing. It was on a pattern that had to have pieces taken from 4 different piles. they all landed on the floor in a mess. I also went down one side of a binding with no thread in the bobbin.
Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Or chain-piecing 15 pairs of squares (4 1/2") with no thread in the needle. Don't ask
Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Been there, in fact, the other day I was cutting up 9 patches for an EB pattern and instead of cutting a straight line (even though I had a cutting edge) I went off to the left into the block. Luckily, it turns out I didn't need that block, so it will go into the scrap bag.

In another case, it took me 5 tries to finish sewing the binding ends on a small quilt. Every time I thought I had it, it turned out I had sewn it either backwards (facing the wrong direction), hadn't measured the length correctly (too long, then too short), or twisted. It took me 3 days of trying, I would try it twice each time and then decide I better find something else to do rather than get more frustrated. I had another binding that it took 2 tries. For some reason I was having trouble finishing bindings that week. It did get better.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM

We all must be related!!! LOL........I haven't done all these but enough of them to be counted in the number.....so glad you all now make me feel 'normal'......... LOL

Jennifer
Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 PM

I was quilting a queen size quilt on my first machine that I ever owned. It was a Janome that was brand new $200. I was at quilting retreat. I was burning up my sewing machine from high speed quilting. You could smell it. Pedal to the metal was still going very slow. I just threw everything down, turned off my machine, got up, said "good night", and went to bed. The next morning my machine was fine and I started again. Everyone got a good laugh out of it. And over 10 years later, it is still brought up. Bought a new machine shortly after. I just quilted a king size on my machine with no problems. I am ready for a new though with a deeper throat since I tend to make larger quilts, it seems.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:54 PM

This is great, hearing everyone has made the same boo boos I have......thank you! I did something worse, after ripping, sewing, ripping and sewing again I decided I was too tired to go on so I went to bed and had a nightmare about sewing on the binding wrong, redoing it and sewing it on wrong again! Now how do you escape that?