Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you like this too? >

Are you like this too?

Are you like this too?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 AM

I relate! I bring good supplies, start out great, then fizzle. Once I get home I do good work. Still, I love workshops because they get me started on something I wouldn't have done otherwise and I usually learn something good == a new technique, a new way of thinking, a new tool. It's also a good day of socializing and making new sewing friends.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by misskitty5 View Post
Jennie and Me--you are certainly not an oddball because I can so relate to getting more sewing done by myself and in my own environment too. I may be a little anti-social but I have been to more than one class where the fastest one in the class made me feel too rushed and then frustrated because I am not a fast sewer. When this happens I just don't want to play anymore. I have also been in classes when the "fast" person finished the class was basically over. I do love the tutorials and youtube videos available as I can go back as many times as necessary to get a technique more clearly explained/shown.
...I just don't want to play anymore...hehehe...I get this way too...
Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Swap Hosts

I love the camaraderie, but I really like sewing by myself. I sort of get "in the zone" and don't want to be distracted. You're not alone.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 PM

I love retreats because I get so much done. But as for classes. I seem to get real frustrated and do the most stupid things. I teach so this is very humiliating to me. I do as much as I can to get the technique down then I finish (ha ha) at home. Some times I just listen and take notes and watch.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

absolutely, can I relate?!
I CAN'T sew and talk and if there are ppl around, I am going to talk
I like solitude for sewing...pure solitude!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:10 PM

I feel the same way. Our sewing club has mini-retreats after our meeting each month. With 12 or more women setting up machines in the small space that we have, it gets pretty crowded. I am claustrophobic and it unnerves me when I try to sew under those circumstances. I love the friendship and socialization, but I prefer to sew at home.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hookem View Post
I don't do the guild thing, not to say I live in the boondocks, but it's two miles to my mail box. I just started quilting this past January, but with the help of the kind folks on this forum and the helpful information on the internet, I've come along pretty well. A hearty thank you to all!

By the way, I'm a 68 year old man.
Hookem, I am delighted to see a 68 years young gentleman learning to quilt. My husband is just starting to become interested in quilting. He started out digitizing machine embroidery designs for me. I love machine embroidery, but I'm not really into computer digitizing. Now he is starting to talk about making a quilt with some of his embroidered car designs. I told him to go for it. He is 68 also.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM

It's too much trouble to pack up the sewing machine and all supplies, set them up at a table that is either too high or too low, sit in a chair that is too high or too low, discover that I have left scissors, rotary cutter or other indispensable item at home, beg or borrow the item from someone better organized, eat a cold lunch or supper or both, pack everything and drag it to the car, get it home and take it inside and try to find all the things that are now hopelessly out of place. The fellowship is great and seeing what other people are doing is fun and inspirational, but I have about given up sewing there unless the piece is limited to handwork. froggyintexas
Old 10-14-2014, 01:27 PM

I too only like to sew at home -alone. - piece and quite ! That is why I don't belong to a group ! I also do not like dragging all that stuff along just to sew a cole hours!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:21 PM

Yes! As much as I like to get together with my quilty friends, I find I would much rather sew in the quiet of my home. I do bring hand sewing along when gathering with groups or even just a few friends.