Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift? >

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I kind of felt bad this year. I gave a little girl a quilt for graduation and she barily said anything.She said there wasn't a quilt at their home is the reason I made her one. Oh well I got enjoyment out of making it.
I suspect several things were going on in the childs head. 1) She probably wanted money! 2) She hasn't learned how to graciously say thank you for something she's not crazy about. 3) Her priorities are very different from yours. When she gets older she may actually appreciate the quilt.

Had a similar experience with my older daughter and a gift she got from my sister when she graduated from 8th grade. I could not believe what she said, it was so rude! Believe me, she was set straight about how to say thank you.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:54 PM

I have given quilts and I just tell the person...if you don't want to use the quilt on top use it for a blanket as it will keep you nice and warm...As kids we would have 2 or 3 quilts on our bed to keep us warm, but then we didn't have much heat upstairs....
Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM

my quilts are custom made to the family that I give them to. they have shared with me their baby theme, a hobby, etc...sometimes it's hard to find just the right fabrics...if they don't use the blanket after all that, yes, I'm a little offended. Mine are meant to be loved to pieces!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I was offended only once. I knitted two baby blankets for my ex-brother-in-laws wife. She opened it, my ex-husband said immediately "Sue made those", and she pulled them out, looked at them breifly, and said .... wait for it ....

"what? no money?"

Needless to say I never did like the bitc ... person.
Ohhhhhhhhhh. That was not nice at all. :thumbdown:
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
I was offended only once. I knitted two baby blankets for my ex-brother-in-laws wife. She opened it, my ex-husband said immediately "Sue made those", and she pulled them out, looked at them breifly, and said .... wait for it ....

"what? no money?"

:) that last sentence made me smile.. :):)
That was quite funny. :lol:
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM

I made a quilt for my ex-roommates daughter. It had all of the colors and characters he said that she liked (Dora the Explorer). When the girl came for a visit, the roommate pointed out that I was the one that made the quilt for her. I asked her if she liked it. Her response was "well, I'm not a baby anymore" and left the room. I guess that meant NO.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 PM

For me it depends on why the gift was given. If it was something given for a special reason and they accept it, I am offended if they never use it in the way it was intended, wether that be to use everyday or to display. However I don't give quilts to people that don't specifically ask for them, except family members.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 PM

I have been quilting less than a year so don't have much experience here. My first quilts were for 3-year-old grandsons. No problem there! One of them insists that the monkeys on his quilt talk to him and play with the green dog Ryan who lives under his bed. What better appreciation can you get? :)

My Mother is a picky person. Decorator-style home - buys excellent quality and lives with it for decades. I hesitated to give her anything since we are so different. For Mothers Day I gave her two table toppers. She loved them and shows them off to her friends. So for her birthday in July she'll get a quilt. I already have the top pieced and will have it professionally quilted. So ... when in doubt ease into it?

I made my daughter a snowman-themed quilt for Christmas and also gave her a quilt rack. I expected the snowmen to be put away with winter decorations, but it's on the rack in their bedroom along with a T-shirt quilt made by my SIL's grandmother. I feel in very good company there - that sweet lady is a master quilter!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM

A simple "Thank-you" for any gift is common curtosy. But after that, if the person doesn't like a gift I give them, I tend to see it as my own shortcoming, not theirs. I have always enjoyed gift-giving and gift prepairing. Weather it's homemade or store-bought, I have always enjoyed the whole process. Trying to figure out what the person needs or wants, buying or making it, wrapping and packaging it, and then finally getting the joy of giving it to them. If the gift doesn't "fit" them, I would be disappointed in myself that I missed the mark.

Having been married less than two years ago, I know what it's like receiving gifts that aren't me. I'm very thankful that anyone would think to give us something. But we definitely received a few gifts that left us scratching our heads. One was a Waterford Crystal cake stand. The kind you can flip over and it becomes a punch bowl. It was very beautiful and I'm sure very generous. But it completely doesn't fit my husband and me. We're both much more simple than that. I would feel very strange displaying our Entimans cakes and Chips Ahoy cookies on something like that.

Months later it was still in the box, and I felt like it was a waste for it to sit around not being used. I gave it to a friend who holds a silent auction for a local charity every year. I don't know if the gift-giver would approve of this, but giving something to charity is much more my style than keeping this fancy dish around the house. I'll echo what others have wrote in that once the gift is given, what is done with it is up to the receiver.

I'm sure we've all received gifts over the years that do not suit us. And I'm sure many of us have faced pressure to use or display those gifts I just try to remember that feeling when prepairing and giving gifts to others.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 PM

LMBO!!!! I would have ditch that one, too!!

"what? no money?"