Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift? >

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Old 05-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Nope - once I've given it the person can display or not. However, my GOM got really upset once because one of his sisters returned a quilt to him, saying she didn't want it because it wasn't "her" colours. Shame, and it was a really pretty floral quilt. He did the floral thing thinking it was more feminine and spent quite a lot of time on it. Fortunately, one of his other sisters went bonkers when she saw it, she LOVED it, and took it home with her. She and her husband are now on a trip around Australia in a caravan, and the quilt has gone with them!! That cheered GOM up, but I don't think he's really over the hurt yet.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I kind of felt bad this year. I gave a little girl a quilt for graduation and she barily said anything.She said there wasn't a quilt at their home is the reason I made her one. Oh well I got enjoyment out of making it.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 PM

I once made a wall quilt for my stepson for his birthday. He and his dad are avid hunters, so of course the quilt was a hunting theme. I figured he could hang it in his man cave. When he opened the gift he asked me "What am I supposed to do with this?". It was obvious he didn't like it, but I thought it was rude. Lesson learned.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Once I give a gift it is no longer mine. I do not have a say and whatever they do with it is up to them
Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 PM

I once made a christmas wall hanging for my DB and SIL, as I was wrapping I decided to add chocolates, then on a whim just wrapped the chocolates in the wall hanging, wrapped ribbon around and it looked nice with no paper I thought. They undid the ribbon, unwrapped the chocolates, thanked me and threw the wallhanging in the garbage with all the paper.

next time they just get chocolates LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I just love the people who put everything away "for good". I love to have my best stuff where I can enjoy it. Things I am gifted with are nice reminders of the good and generous people in my life. As for what others do with what I give, it's theirs to do with what they please. Gifts with conditions aren't gifts.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:56 PM

The way I see it, the only thing I expect when I give a quilt or anything as a gift is "Thank You". The gift is the recipient's to do with whatever they want, no explanations or reasons necessary.The same is true for gifts given to me. I can display them in any part of my home or outside of my home. Or I can put it in storage and only take it out for maybe 1 month or 1 week a year. That's the good thing about gifts. There should be no obligation or responsibility attached to it.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

I don't really care if they "display" it or not, but I do expect a thank you. After the thank you...what they do with the gift (of any kind) is their business. But..no thank you....no future gifts...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Made two quilts many years ago .... one for my dad and one for my mom. Dad loved his, mom did not. When my dad passed away I asked if I could have his quilt back. She said yes and I could have hers back too.

Did not surprise me but still hurt. So I bought another suitcase and brought them both home.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:36 PM

My 7 year old niece made her first quilt, a large 4 patch, probably 40 x 36", was very proud of it. Then she discovered it was too small to cover all of her.

Her dilemma was deciding whether to give it to her 5 year old sister, her 2 year old brother or to the dog!

Her 8 year old brother gave her a piece of good "big brotherly" advice, "Don't give it to the dog. He'll chew it up in one day!"

I managed to keep a straight face, but it was tough.

So, no, I don't get upset if someone doesn't like or display something I make for them. Life is too short and all that stuff.