Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are You A Once Only...Or Over And Over >

Are You A Once Only...Or Over And Over

Are You A Once Only...Or Over And Over

Old 04-15-2018, 07:06 AM

I have not sewn the same quilt pattern more than one time. But when I look through pictures of quilts I have made I find I lean to small pieces and bright colors.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 AM

Sometimes, if I found a pattern difficult but I like the finished quilt, I will do another one or two in the same pattern to kind of "ingrain" it on my brain. Then there are the patterns I just love and use as my "go-to", such as Atkinson Designs Lucky Stars pattern. Some patterns I make once and never again; like when I designed a cross and crown of thorns wall hanging for my brother, then I destroyed the pattern because it was JUST for my brother.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 AM

I only make a quilt pattern once. I don't even like making quilt patterns that use the same block over and over again.

...Well, except for the period when I made 5 I spy hexie quilts for my nephews and nieces. Never again. I think the only thing that saved me from "death by boredom" was that the hexies were pretty different from each other and I used a different color for the setting triangles in each quilt. I told my siblings that any future children they procreate will get something else just as cool. :-)

Last edited by lmanna; 04-15-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I have made a couple of designs again but mostly it's one and done.
I agree. The Log Cabin block is timeless with so many variations as is the Lemoyne Star. Love Trip Around The World, but for a specific pattern it's usually one and done. I love learning new blocks and techniques.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Another one and done’er. There are just too many blocks, sashing variations, block variations, and paper piecing patterns calling my name.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:56 AM

I prefer one and done but seems that when someone sees one there is always some one else that wants one like it. Such has been the case of the attic window with the deer panel. I have made 4 Q. size and every man wants one. Like every one else my bucket list is to long.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I have made several patterns several times. if you find a pattern you really like to make go for it. Being happy in the doing is the important thing.

My favorite go to patterns are Trip Around the World, Path Through the Woods and Churn and Dash. I make these patterns all the time between more complex or difficult ones. For me they are just fun, easy and finishable with the added bonus that they look great too.

peace
Old 04-15-2018, 12:07 PM

I have come to the conclusion that I like gifting quilts more than making them unless a certain pattern “calls” to me. Dresden plate, Irish Chain, and TAW are my “favorites to work on.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've made several designs more than once, sometimes varying the setting, always changing the look with different fabrics.
This sounds like me. I definitely do not ever make the exact same quilt twice. I have a couple patterns that I go to when I need something faster and easier... like the D9P, alternating 9P and squares, and 5 easy pieces. As a rule, though, I most enjoy drafting my own patterns on graph paper and making each quilt unique to the recipient.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:08 PM

There are so many patterns I want to try that I don't often do the same pattern over unless I want it for a gift someone wants.