Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you quilt worthy? >

Are you quilt worthy?

Are you quilt worthy?

Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM

I make quilts to be used.

The first one I made however, I had thought of as being a keepsake more than a 'to be loved on' quilt. However, I quickly discovered that the young recipient felt that it was a 'to be loved on' quilt and I gladly repaired the damages (mainly due to my too scant seams and it being made from vintage fabric her mother had inherited from a deceased grandmother...hence my thought of it as being a keepsake).

Anyway, now I expect them to be loved and used. I know you can't always protect them from little brothers/sisters and the family pets!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM

I was asked once to make a quilt for someones camper.
Guess they thought they were not good enough for the
house bed.
Told them to buy me $75. worth of material (fabric,
thread, & batting.
Never heard another word from them.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 PM

One never knows. Last summer I made Baby quilt for my neice. Our families have not been close but the girls have stayed in touch here and there as I helped raise them when they were young.

Her husband opened up the quilt ans her reaction was heart warming. She looked at me and said that is just like the one you made for me that i have had on my bed all my life. I just love it and now I have one for our son.
I didn't think this girl even remembered that I had loved her so much and that her Mom had become so cold towards the family. True love is strong. Happy Quilting Ladies one never knows the impact we have on someone.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by SherrieDLux
I have always made my quilts for loved ones, but just last weekend I had my quilting teacher make a baby quilt for a fellow that works for us as he had just had a baby. I was so proud of the quilt and know the time and effort it took to make it, but when I gave it to his wife she just said "Thanks" and that was it. I was so hurt that she just didn't appreciate our gift, since she knew I am a beginning quilter and love it so much. I'm still very upset with her even now, so yes you should only give a gift of so much love to those who can appreciate the time and love that goes into each quilt we make.
Hun, she just had a baby, she may very well be sleep deprived, or frankly forget how to communicate.

I know I was dazed and more then a little socially inept at that stage.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 PM

OMG!!!!!! I was just reading this and thinking of my experience with this and could just see their faces and just busted out laughing the dog came in barking he thought i had gotten company and didn't here them come in. I love the card bit. ty ladies I needed that living alone I don't find many reasons to laugh out loud but these QB'ers can come up with some good ones. tommye
Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 PM

I don't think non quilters understand the time,effort, and money that goes into a quilt. My DGD wanted to make a quilt and as we were working on it, she made the comment, I had no idea a quilt was this much work.

I only make quilts (or anything else) for the people that are worth the time. The others I buy a gift. For the most part that is the people I love and cherish. I make charity children's quilts because I hope they make a difference for the recepient.

As far as the animal issue. If I made it for the dog/cat that would be fine. But if I made it for the human, I would feel that they did not appreciate the quilt.

I do feel if I give a quilt it is theirs and can do what they want with it, but I don't have to like it.

I always cherish gifts that are handmade, because it makes me feel loved. I know I was worth their time.

I think most of us have the need to feel what we put our blood, sweat, and tears in, is loved and appreciated.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 PM

I too have made quilts for family. And everyone of mine are used to death. My grand-daughters have used thiers so much there isn't much left. They all want a new one. When they get married they will get a new one. My great niece just got her 2nd one from me for her wedding. And she said that it was hers and not her new husbands.... Oh well they can fight over it. But all of mine are greatly appricated. P.S. My avatar picture is the quilt I made for my great-niece.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM

I made a small flannel rag quilt for a pregnant co-worker who stated she would hang it on the wall. I was disappointed. Her child is almost 2 yrs old now and she told me the other day that her "baby" loves the quilt and drags it all over the house. I am happy.
I was very happy when my granddaughter took her "French Rose" quilt to summer camp.
I will NOT make a quilt for someone I don't know (the exception being community service) or someone who will not appreciate it.
There is far too much work, blood, sweat and tears (not to mention money) into the construction of a quilt for it to go to an "undeserving" person!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 PM

My quilts have had cat whatever on them , thrown in the corner, and not appreciated by my DiL, I will not make any more quilts for her but I will make quilts for the needy, they seem to cherish what ever they get,
Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
I totally agree with everything here. I've been asked a few times this past summer to make quilts for others, some of whom I hardly know, but it never felt right.

But, a younger girl, just turning 16, was down in the dumps lately with high school life and my heart went out to her. Her parents have been friends with my father for years, even through their own divorce, and I grew up with her older sister, so I've known her since she came along as a "change of life". Last year I had made her sister a quilt when she was moving South and didn't think of it again. Her sister loves it and cherishes it so I know it's in good hands. Then, when my step-sister's fiancee was killed earlier this month and I started a purple quilt for her, this young girl was so comforting and encouraging. She loves purple (I don't) so she was helpful with the shade selection. I now know what I will be giving her for her sweet 16 later this year. This quilt feels right so I'm sure it will be fine and in good hands.
How wonderful!! I just love the stories about the "heart" on this site. These are really good people. I agree that not everyone is worthy of all the work and expense that go into a quilt. I do think, however, that the love we feel and the caring expressed when we give away our quilts means so much to the right person. I guess I would look for that "need for comfort" in someone's life before making them a gift of a quilt. I have had friends diagnosed with cancer or diabetes or something else life altering and have made a simple quilt and have been rewarded with a smile and a thank you that made all of it worth while. You just KNOW you've improved their life. And who knows how often they pull that thing around them like a pair of loving arms or weep into it in the night?