Are you quilt worthy?

Are you quilt worthy?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
When I make a baby quilt for a friend or family member there's
a poem that is part of the label.

A Baby Quilt
Please let me cuddle with your new baby, it makes me feel loved,
Don't hang me on the wall, I'm afraid of heights.
Please, don't put me in the closet, I'm scared of the dark.
I'm meant to be used,thrown up on, peed and pooped on and
thrown in the washer and dryer. Don't be afraid to use me as I was intended.
Thank you,
your baby quilt.
I love this! Hope you don't mind if I borrow it.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 AM

I made a quilt for our oldest son and he cried when he called me to say thank you. I also do charity quilts and with those you need to let go and hope you have made someone smile.
And there are those I would make a quilt as a gift and others that I never would consider. So this just means to me...go with your heart and what keeps you smiling and sewing. It is our choice how, when and what we do to keep us sewing and sharing our gift of quilting.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 AM

I would ask "Do you allow all your pets on the bed (or wherever the quilt is going to be."
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM

When I give a quilt, I always say that Every stitch is a little I love you. I think that we have the responsibility to teach people that are used to store-bought, that a hand-made item need a special treatment. Once, a friend of my DH stopped by, he had a quilt in his car trunk, he was going to use it to cover furniture while he was painting . I asked him to have a look at the pattern, I told him how much time and love had been put in it. When, he came back he told me that it now lays on his couch, that he wraps himself in it after a hard day work.( He is a SWAT policeman.) We have the right of wanting our quilts to be appreciated and put to good use , but we also must educate.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 AM

I don't think I am quilt worthy. After giving my first blanket to my soldier, I think few civilians are worthy.

There are a few exceptions, I think most animals are quilt worthy. Kids, too. HARD working folks always have my respect as well.

I don't care whether its loved and appreciated or sent to Goodwill. I just want to think while I'm making it that the recipient, who is in the middle of a struggle right now, might think for just one second that someone else appreciates their sacrifices. Even if it is expressed through a dumb blanket. It's important to know when to give money and not a craft item.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM

I agree with Leatheflea-when I knit something-I think about how that person will take care of it-so the non-responsible ones don't get alpaca or expensive yarns-and the kids who will lose their scarves or mittens get acrylic.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nanakathy
I agree with Leatheflea-when I knit something-I think about how that person will take care of it-so the non-responsible ones don't get alpaca or expensive yarns-and the kids who will lose their scarves or mittens get acrylic.
Well, when I knit I never use wool of any kind as I am highly sensitive to it, as is my family. I can't stand the feel of it on my hands, I get all itchy. I knit baby blankets for Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia for their NICU. I know they are loved there. I also sew for Quilts for Kids; I know they are appreciated also.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

They need to take a mental exam and then given a page or two of questions on how they will care for the quilt and what useful purpose will it have to them? It could be a 1000 word essay along with the test. They would then have to listen to a lecture on the care of quilts and what work, time and expense went into making a quilt. If they fail the test and continue to ask for a quilt, they will need to spend 4 hours per wk for the next six months meeting other quilters and just hanging out at the LQS. If they have the quilt and violate its care, they will need to do community service work.

Originally Posted by leatheflea
After reading a post on here yesterday of a quilter that was frustrated by people wanting her to make quilts I started thinking. I too have been in that situation over and over again as I'm sure many of you have also. Hang in there with me I'll get to the point in a little while.
Do any of you remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaines contraception device "The Sponge" was being discontinued? She went on a big search for these things and found a whole case. Thats all she had to last her for what seemed to her forever. So before she would "use" one of these she would ask the other participant if he were "sponge" worthy and why he thought he was.
So this is where I get "Are you quilt worthy?" I spent hours of my life making these quilts, I shed blood, endure shoulder pain, neck pain, butt numbness, crossed eyes from concentrating on every stitch, and many hours researching on "The Quilting Forum" and you want me to just whip one of these babies out of my hindend for you. Most of the time I don't take requests for quilts, I've done 3 upon request outside of my family. One turned out not worthy. I got the quilt back after about 3 months, badly abused by the kitty, and smelling like the liter box. I washed it 3 times before I could begin the repairs. I still have this quilt after 2years and he wont get it back till he's worthy.
I think with owning a "homemade" quilt comes some responsibility. So before making and giving I ask myself is this person quilt worthy? I keep a mental application in my head. If you could give an application what questions would you ask? My first one would be ....Do you think it would be appropiate to line the liter box with my quilt?

Would love to here what you might add to the application.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM

I agree that some people are not quilt worthy. When my son married, I put labels on the backs of the quilts stating that they were HIS, given in honor of his marriage. Guess what, they divorced, and he was able to get the quilts back because they were given to HIM, not her. Worked for him and me!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM

you know I just said that to someone - I make them and give them away - and do not have one BEAUTIFUL one for My home.............what's up with that!! people know I quilt and when they come over they see my sewing room and work in progress things..........only have a few kids quilts that are layed on and abused - but loved dearly (wouldn't even show anyone!!!) I take pics and save them on a file in my computer so I remember the ones I;ve made!! helps a little!!! LOL!