Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you quilt worthy? >

Are you quilt worthy?

Are you quilt worthy?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM

I love your quilt on your profile where did you find the pattern?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM

pets on the floor - not invited on my bed - love my bulldog but he snores louder than my hubby and ....well - he probably needs some BEENO - I won't say anymore!!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
After reading a post on here yesterday of a quilter that was frustrated by people wanting her to make quilts I started thinking. I too have been in that situation over and over again as I'm sure many of you have also. Hang in there with me I'll get to the point in a little while.
Do any of you remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaines contraception device "The Sponge" was being discontinued? She went on a big search for these things and found a whole case. Thats all she had to last her for what seemed to her forever. So before she would "use" one of these she would ask the other participant if he were "sponge" worthy and why he thought he was.
So this is where I get "Are you quilt worthy?" I spent hours of my life making these quilts, I shed blood, endure shoulder pain, neck pain, butt numbness, crossed eyes from concentrating on every stitch, and many hours researching on "The Quilting Forum" and you want me to just whip one of these babies out of my hindend for you. Most of the time I don't take requests for quilts, I've done 3 upon request outside of my family. One turned out not worthy. I got the quilt back after about 3 months, badly abused by the kitty, and smelling like the liter box. I washed it 3 times before I could begin the repairs. I still have this quilt after 2years and he wont get it back till he's worthy.
I think with owning a "homemade" quilt comes some responsibility. So before making and giving I ask myself is this person quilt worthy? I keep a mental application in my head. If you could give an application what questions would you ask? My first one would be ....Do you think it would be appropiate to line the liter box with my quilt?

Would love to here what you might add to the application.
Very good I agree with you. Every time I start a hand embroidery quilt i get asked whos getting it. I uselly just say I don't know yet.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bearlea
OK..on this subject I may make some enemies...I make my quilts to be used and loved...I do a great job..not always perfect but they always look good...when I decide to make a quilt for someone whether it be family or friend I keep in mind their lifestyle...I already know them..I know if they have cats and dogs and kids and so on..I know if they are allowed to get on the furniture etc...I don't judge them by that...I might not make them a beautiful Jenny Haskins quilt if they have cats to claw at it...instead I might make a beautiful Kansas Trouble pieced quilt..darker colors might not show the animal hair...There is nothing that upsets me more as to walk into a family members house and find out the quilts I have made them are tucked away in a closet for safe keeping....who is going to care if they still look perfect 50 years down the road..take it out..use it...drag it whereever you like to be..when you wear it out I owuld love to make you a new one...because I love you and thats how I show the hours I was thinking of you as I stitched each stitch...
I recently made a beautiful baby quilt..sent it to GA for my dh nieces shower...she absolutely loves it..called me up that night and kept saying she had never seen something so pretty...my mil informed me the other day that they decided to hang it in the baby's room because it was too pretty to let a baby spit up on....although the thought is nice...I made it to be used not hung...so you see what I am talking about...I always include a note about the hours I prayed over a quilt while stitching it for this person...or the reason I picked certain colors..they know the time and love..I tell them..but I also tell them to use it everyday as a reminder of my love...I will not be here forever..but my quilts for them will live on even if they become rags..they will remember the love that went into them....ok I am off my podium now....just how I feel...everyone I love is quilt worthy....they are worthy of my love which makes them worthy of my quilts...blessings
I think I saw this on this board. In any case, it's so cute, I'm going to include it with my next baby quilt.
It’s your quilt!
It’s OK if you sit on your quilt.
It’s OK if your bottle gets spilt.
If you swallow some air
And you burp, don’t despair,
It’s OK if you spit on your quilt!

There are scraps old and new in your quilt.
Put together for you on your quilt.
If your gums feel quite numb,
‘cause your teeth haven’t come,
It’s OK if you chew on your quilt!

I expect you to lie on your quilt.
If you get hurt you can cry on your quilt.
On a cold rainy night,
Don’t fret, you’re all right,
You’ll be snug warm and dry on your quilt!
Nancy Riddell
Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Never thought about worthiness. I am filled with joy when someone loves a quilt I have given them. Only one time did I decide never to make that person another quilt. One was used, within a month of me giving it to her as a rug on the floor and the other a few years old I found as a doorstop. It really hurt my feelings like a slap in the face. Oh well SDs.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by earlylace
I would test their quilt knowledge.
1. How long does it take make an average quilt? (no quilt is avg.)
2. How much does the fabric cost in an average size quilt?
3. How do you care for a quilt?
any wrong answers, they are not quilt worthy!
etc, ect, etc, you get the idea!
How about printing up a friendly "application" with these questions & answers attach to any quilted pc. we give away? Just a thought.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
you have my vote if you run for president

I'm running! I'm Running! I'm running to my sewing machine. I have a quilt to make.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I think this is a hard question because if I make a quilt for someone I do it only for people who I know would appreciate it. I would not be upset if it seams abused as long as I know they are using it and not shoving it up on a shelf. I don't even think I would get upset if a small quilt I made ended up being used to make a pet more comfortable as most families that have dogs and cats think of them as family members. I would be more upset if I know someone didn't appreciate and use my quilt for their pleasure.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I don't think I am quilt worthy. After giving my first blanket to my soldier, I think few civilians are worthy.

There are a few exceptions, I think most animals are quilt worthy. Kids, too. HARD working folks always have my respect as well.

I don't care whether its loved and appreciated or sent to Goodwill. I just want to think while I'm making it that the recipient, who is in the middle of a struggle right now, might think for just one second that someone else appreciates their sacrifices. Even if it is expressed through a dumb blanket. It's important to know when to give money and not a craft item.
Don't mean to change the subject but where is Trifid Nebula????? :oops:
Old 09-22-2010, 05:27 PM

One easily memorized answer: "No."