Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you teaching your talents to someone else? >

Are you teaching your talents to someone else?

Are you teaching your talents to someone else?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

As I learn, I share. I help out our customers all the time. Some are already into quilting, some just starting. Today I had a customer who picked out her 2 fabrics and when I asked her how much she needed???? She said enough to make a twin size quilt. She didn't have a clue. HELP! I just LOVE it when they don't have a clue. I really LOVE it when they have never sewn and want to make a quilt, and have done NO research.
Oh there are so many who could use a teacher. Hats off to all who share.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 PM

My daughter is 3, and I already have a machine for her to learn on, I can't wait to take classes with her, and watch her create. Saying that, I hope she enjoys it as much as I do!!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Yes, my sister. We began our lessons about 2 years ago and she has made a few 4 patch quilts, mostly baby quilts, and one lap sized log cabin for herself. Just the other weekend I showed her how to make a simple pinwheel block, she's making her grandson a quilt for his Big Boys Bed. Next lesson is adding inner and outer borders and after that she wants to learn how to make chinese coin blocks. Her interest wanes sometimes as she also likes to knit and since she works has limited time for knitting and quilting. She thinks I'm a master quilter even though I've told her it's no where near the truth but it's nice to be someone's role model. May in Jersey
Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 AM

I love to get new quilters started I have taught many at quilts shops and guilds now once in awhile someone comes to my house to learn a techneque and I am happy to show them
things are so expensive now a days that it is hard to get the young people involved but when one shows up they are welcome
Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM

I am fairly new to the board and wasn't aware of the "adopt a newbie" I'll have to check it out. One of my two friends that wanted to learn bought fabric to make a bed sized quilt. I tried to talk her into making something small but no she wanted a quilt for her bed. We picked a simple trip around the world pattern. She did not have a sewing machine so we were working on hand piecing (all the more reason for learning something small)I think she may have gotten one or two rows done. She keeps talking about getting started again so the interest is still there, but the ambition is lacking. I'll keep working on her. :hunf:
Old 03-07-2010, 06:11 AM

My 11 year old daughter who is also catching the quilting bug! She also likes to make fun things like pencil pouches, cell phone holder, gift bags for her teachers. I too am learning from her!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 AM

I just taught my niece. She always made cloths.She moved in with me awhile back. Now she has made a table runner, placemats and is now working on her first quilt.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 AM

I have a class on Tuesday nights here at school. So far 3 adults and 4 students. And I have three 'adopted' newbies.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Is your friend who's doing the around the world by hand starting at the center or along an edge? And what size are her squares?

If you do it by hand, I think it's really easier to start at the center and just add one color at a time in stairsteps around using one continuous thread. I'm to the last few rounds at the corners on mine. Definitely a lengthy project (2.5" squares, queen/king size), but well worth it, as I'm considering this one my triumph of color coordination...a collection of greens that "shouldn't" have looked right together but are coming out gorgeous (if I may say so myself!)

Tell her to hang in there...it really is worth all the time and effort. When the sides of the diamond get really big (more than ten squares per side) it helps to set a goal of just getting one side done today or this week, rather than "oh my goodness, how can I get 4x19 done in this lifetime...and I'll still have to work my way out to the corners...it's not even halfway done..." Ask me how I know??? Mine almost became a card table cover at one point!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 AM

I am teaching my 10 yr. old GD to sew. She loves it. Also I was at a quilt retreat this weekend with seasoned quilters. We were all teaching each other different ways to accomplish the same objective. Many of us are self-taught quilters and accomplish what we want to, but many times there is an easier way to do it.