Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blessed by DH's Talents

Blessed by DH's Talents

I am so fortunate, and benefit greatly from my DH's carpentry & furniture design talents. When our youngest son and our grandson moved to their own place I wanted to convert one of the bedrooms into my sewing room and get out of the family room. My husband converted the dead space between the closets into storage cabinets, built in a book shelf/entertainment unit, made a permanent design wall, then built a twin daybed with underneath storage, and a beautiful multipiece sewing table with my big machine recessed. For Christmas 2013, he designed and built a cutting/storage station, and this Christmas added a matching ironing/storage station. We could never afford to purchase the top of the line sewing units I've seen advertised, but mine (from what I've seen at the shows and in stores) far surpasses these, because they are built for me and my needs. So thankful for him! Do you have a builder you have benefitted from? Show us your "blessings"!
    m? Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4152
Size:  1.79 MB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4133
Size:  1.67 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  428.5 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4078
Size:  421.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 4162
Size:  1.76 MB
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Power Poster
    Custom built is always better than ready made! What a wonderful job he has done!

Blog Entries
    A blessing indeed!!

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed.

Beautiful cabinets, unfortunately I'm married to an amazing man, who's a D I dont'r.

Thanks-he is amazing, as are so many of our spouses and significant others-for a million different reasons!

Blog Entries
    Wow that is wonderful you are very blessed!

Blog Entries
    looks nice sure wish it was not upside down

Very nice! You are so lucky to have him. I'm sure he enjoys the woodwork too. You both help each other with your crafts. The pieces all look great. They are much nicer than anything you could have bought. My favorite sewing table is the little table my grandfather built for my grandmother. It has two little drawers on the right side that are so handy. It is nice and sturdy.

Blog Entries
    My husband is also an amazing man. He has outaged his desire to do carpentry but will help me with whatever I may need. When we (literally) built our Wisconsin home ourselves, we had contracted our kitchen cabinets to be made by his cousin. After 8 long months with no progress, he decided to build them himself. While waiting for official cabinets to be built, he made me a huge center counter top out of plywood and set it on 2 horses. After the kitchen was finished, he was going to burn the plywood top. Of course, I had a better idea. We took 2 dressers and set the top on them for my sewing room cutting table. It is amazing. Now he is going to build me the PVC pipe stand to hold up my quilts while FMQing. Can't wait for that. We are both so fortunate. Here are a couple of photos of my sewing room and my kitchen cabinets. Here are some photos of the kitchen, my sewing table and a table that he made from a slab of a dead oak tree that he took down. The tree was 260 years old. Older than the USA!

Name:  CIMG4442.JPG
Views: 3632
Size:  759.4 KBName:  CIMG2922.JPG
Views: 3574
Size:  910.1 KBName:  CIMG4445.JPG
Views: 3573
Size:  815.3 KBName:  CIMG3793.JPG
Views: 3592
Size:  1.61 MB

lue
    WOW!! Hubby does have talent! Do you rent him out?? Beautiful work.

Gorgeous!! I love hearing about hubby's and son's that can use their hands to create beautiful things to help us! I don't have any pictures but my son's made my girlfriend and I each a Big ironing board. And my husband dropped my machine down into a large used desk that we had purchased.
    Kelly

He did a great job.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ladies. All of the work is beautiful. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Your sewing room is a dream. The cabinets are beautiful.
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

Littlebitoheaven your kitchen is gorgeous! Love the way you incorporated the great windows too. Your cutting table idea is brilliant- hope this gives some a great DIY idea. Hey people- places that carry plywood etc (yes, Lowes & H Depot, but many local lumberyards etc too) will cut a plywood sheet to your measurements. Check out thrift centers etc for dressers-well built sets of shelves, kitchen cabinets-whatever your needs are and space allows. If you don't have a cordless drill/screwdriver borrow or rent one. Screw the ply wood to the tops of your storage units (you will need to do this in the room where it's going to be. Will you need to move it at all? Consider getting locking, heavy duty casters to put on your storage units. Also before you attach the plywood sand it if it needs it, wipe it down with a damp cloth and "paint it" with satin polyurethane. **2 thin coats, letting it dry completely in between. Screw it onto your shelving units with flathead screws. Oh, and download an App- I use iMetalbox for my iPhone with a "level" or borrow a level along with the drill/screwdriver so your cutting surface is level. Little bit has a great idea-see the leopard print material? You can fit some great rolling plastic drawer or bin units under there! The table from the felled tree is GORGEOUS! And worth a fortune folks- you can't touch a tree like that now, there are so few of them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Super job! !!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Am in love with your rooms. Can I come to visit for a long time?

Blog Entries
    Here is a photo of the (tree ring) table finished. My DH wanted to mark special dates in history on it and did so. The land we have has been in my DH's family for 110 years. Always owned by family and now we are fortunate to have 15 acres of the original land. The other side is not marked in any way but finished as the top is.

Name:  CIMG3844.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  894.8 KB

Blog Entries
    You are so lucky to have a husband who can build beautiful things. Mine can't build a paper box.But, he can make some pretty quilt tops.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

My DH will try to make things for me if I really explain it well enough. LOL His dad never let him do fix em ups, and he didn't have shops class in school. Its called trial and error, but he does get it done.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Your husband did a great job! It is certainly nicer to have a custom built work area!

Power Poster
    very n ice!!!
    QUILTNMO

Wow! Looks like he did a great job! You are so lucky to have a carpenter for a husband.

My husband and son do all sorts of woodworking for a hobby. My husband made me a cutting/ironing/storage table to my specs and a spinning wheel made from 100+ yr. old walnut barn beam. Our son is making this horse barn (1/9th scale for our DGD) Both are amazing self taught carpenters.
    Name:  DSCF4288.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  1.56 MBThe pegboard panels slide out and store rulers.
    Name:  horse barn in final stages.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  91.8 KB
    Name:  spinning wheel.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  846.9 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast