Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you teaching your talents to someone else? >

Are you teaching your talents to someone else?

Are you teaching your talents to someone else?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:28 PM

My daughters (16 and 13) and I are learning together. Every summer we pick something new to learn - this past summer it was quilting!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 AM

My Grandmother taught me I have always loved sewing My Sister and I go to quilt Classes together and have so much fun . I taught my daughter to sew about 16 yrs ago and she is hooked also now my Gransons Girlfriend loves my sewing room and has learned a lot
Old 03-09-2010, 05:14 AM

I am teaching my two granddaughters (8 and 11) quilting. They have already learned how to do counted cross stitch and plastic canvas. The younger one tried crocheting but did not like it; maybe when she is older. Both won first prize blue ribbons for their doll quilts. So far quilting seems to have won out; the older one is doing a lap quilt and the younger one has her sights set on winning "Best in Show". Have to get her to go on to a smaller wall hanging, then to larger pieces step by step. Have a friend who, for her daughter's birthday party, supplied knitting needles and yarn and taught the guests how to knit (she is by the way a fabulous knitter). I find it sad that the young people are not taught needlework; it will be the only way to continue the tradition.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 AM

I am teaching my two grandchildren who live close to me to sew and quilt. My grandaughter, age 10, is particularly interested and very determined to do things correctly. It's very rewarding. She and her brother (age 8) made a cloth book for another cousin during summer break last year.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM

my Grannie started me on sewing. To my knowledge she only made one quilt and I have it. She never finished it. She did make lots of other little things though and we learned how to crochet together. Now I've taught my two oldest the basics of sewing but the only interest they have is to fix seams or hems. My 11yo dd though has made one quilt already and loves to sew. I'm learning how to knit now but I admit quilting is what I love.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 AM

My grand mother got me into quilting, she has since passed away and never knew that my daughter is addicted too. Yes we should keep the crafts alive.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 AM

I've taught friends the basics of quilting. I have taught a friend how to do needlework. I know just enough crafts that I don't mind showing someone how to do it. :)
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 AM

I have taught two people to quilt so far - two friends. One already knew the basic basics... the other started from scratch... My son has made two or three table toppers - but that is the extent of his curiosity. :) I am contemplating offering quilt classes at church for the young girls. I am looking into it. I hope it works out. If just one of them caught the bug it'd be great. I hope to teach my daughter one day - but she's not THAT interested yet.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Suz

My grandmother planted the seed when I was about 8. Since then I have taken classes over the years.

I was involved in 4H for 12 and now have one 14 year old that hand quilts better than I ever did. Her stitches are phenomnal. I've adopted her as my granddaughters do not live near. My daughter is also a newbie and doesn't live nearby either.

And I have six ladies at the church who took a handpiecing class from me recently and we plan to start up again next month. We will be make quilts ranging in size using the "jewel box" pattern. They all seem excited about it.

Yes, I have always said, "each one, teach one".

Suz
Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 AM

I have two wonderful sons and two adorable grandsons. Unfortunately, sewing inside is much too confining for them! My sweet DIL is also an outdoorsy person. However, they seem to appreciate whatever I make for them.