Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgrammyt2
OMG!!!!! How do they expect to be able to help ANYBODY
Has anyone really met someone they (Goodwill) actually helped? MY DH went to their 'employment' office and got nothing. BTW- Did anyone see the art masterpiece they had donated to them last year? Anybody ever hear how that windfall was distributed? I did not think so... :oops:
Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM

that is how our goodwill store prices look!! but not to long ago we had a thrift store open up and right now there prices are not to bad
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa
I had to check and see where you were from, I thought you must have been at my local Goodwill. They are a little hoytie toytie in my opinion!
This baby is heartbreakingly beautiful.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM

The key is not to donate anything to those stores. The one in my area(Goodwill) has a literal mountain of clothing in the back--when you take a box of clean, folded clothing, they just dump it on the pile. Also, they pull out the good stuff and hold if for their antique sale, at which the prices are impressively high. I realize those are marketing techniques, but it is insulting to both contributors and buyers. I personally have found great good deals at garage sales in the summer.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I believe it. About 3 years ago, I went into a goodwill store and found a couple handmade 100% cotton pillowcases, with no price, so I took them up to the register to see how much they were, $1.98 EACH, I said, no thank you and haven't been in there since. I think that Good Will has gone "up scale". I was in a different one than the above, and they had a decent looking hutch, $1700.00. People this is a thrift store, I think the head of the company is forgetting what a THRIFT store is.
How can they forget, where they don't NEED to shop. Check out the paychecks they take home!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by rexie
Goodwill is owned by the Salvation Army and they are high, but you might find a smaller locally owned or church owned store that might not be so high.
GW and SA are separate organizations. They both have thrift stores.

Now the REAL rip-off is those "Planet Aid" collection boxes. Make you think it is some kind of a charity helping poor people - WRONG!!!!
Yow! Who knew.
here is just one story about what they really do
http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=9234
Old 02-25-2011, 12:53 AM

I used to give to the Salvation Army and good will until I saw 60 min. that airs on Sun. evening. I was shocked to learn that what we donate is sorted out and some items are packed together to look like cotton bails. They are sold to other third world countries where people buy them. Now I just donate them to our church or take them to a soup Kitchen place where a homeless person can use them. Here in Tucson we have places that have homeless teenagers that always need clothes for school.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by p38flygirl
our s has the same problem...prices way too high...
Considering that everything is donated, the prices don't make sense.
They are all in competition these days because of "retro"" being the big thing. Still think they need reminding what "good will or charity mean". Used to be they were there to help people who were doing it tough. I think on this board alone there are quite a few who qualify and through no fault of their own.
Unfortunately they have lost sight of what these places were about and just chase the $$$$$ these days.SAD!!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 AM

we donated a stove to habitat this year. Should be a decent right off i hope for taxes. While I was there I saw a antique rocker and I almost bought it. It needed a little fix, but my other half can do that for me. I did resis buying it. I just might go back and see if it is still there.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:18 AM

My Mom used to work at the Salvation Army. She says that the clothes that don't sell are ragged out. This meant that they were sold for rags. I don't remember who she said buys them, but they are sold and recycled into something.