Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 AM

i am always surprised at prices of fabric remenants that some pick up--ours are $3.00 and up--i still buy but it does seem high priced for donated items.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 AM

I agree, i have gone to many of these types of stores. It is always cheaper to buy new. What a shame. If they lowered prices then they could actually sell and help people.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 AM

Good Will is using some of the retail brain games. Most have a 50% off Saturday once a month sale so they can still get the regular price and you're supposed to believe you got a bargain and the money you spend is helping the handicap. A few years ago in TX, big scandel where Good Wills are franchised and the money made went to the owners and only a small percentage went to programs for retraining. I do not know if all Good Wills are owned indepentantly but I go to church operated thrift shops first for reasonable prices, even Salvation Army and Habitat have priced out of my means. Moosegirl
Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Good will and Salvation Army "thrift" shops are gonna price themselves right out of business. We have a lot of thrift shops around here that get more business than either of those.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Our G/W is just as bad. I just bought a new night stand at Lazyboy for 89.00$. I do give all of my used thigs to a place called Save A Child.They are trying to open a store here.Not to the G/W.I gave to them last year they went to see what my things were priced at. Holly Cow. They had 24.99 for a pair of my daugters shoes.I only payed 19.99 for them on sale. go figure.!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Goodwill is owned by the Salvation Army and they are high, but you might find a smaller locally owned or church owned store that might not be so high.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 AM

We had something similar going on at the Goodwill in our town, turns out that the person running it was a crook and he had been stealing from the company. He was a "leading citizen" here in town with a very well known name, had been police chief at one time. Goodwill organization did an audit, fired him and removed their name altogether from the business. Now the same place is run under a different name and the items are priced what you would expect for donations. I've never run across any fabric there, though.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 AM

I find good buys at St. Vincent de Paul and a thrift shop run for the benefit of Viet Nam Vets. I seldom go to Goodwill because as everyone has said the mark up is unbelievable (most of which was DONATED). I think they may do that so that they can post a sale (50% off) which makes it more realistic (maybe).
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgrammyt2
OMG!!!!! How do they expect to be able to help ANYBODY
The Goodwill sells to the general public to fund the cost of there building and pay the wages of the employies. If a needy family is in need of things like clothing furniture etc they are given a vouger to pick out what they need for free.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by rexie
Goodwill is owned by the Salvation Army and they are high, but you might find a smaller locally owned or church owned store that might not be so high.
GW and SA are separate organizations. They both have thrift stores.

Now the REAL rip-off is those "Planet Aid" collection boxes. Make you think it is some kind of a charity helping poor people - WRONG!!!!

here is just one story about what they really do
http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=9234