Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 AM

Here in Florida I find Goodwill and Salvation Army to be rather pricey. I shop at St. Vincent De Paul. I find their prices to be much lower.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Thrift stores are also now "trendy" and that makes their prices go up also....there are alot of articles on the net about remaking thrift clothes for the younger generation....it's the in thing to do!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Where I live the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores are both high, but we also have an Abilities Unlimited where I buy a lot. I was in there yesterday. They had books 2 for a dime (any book). VHS movies 15 cents each. I bought 3 or 4 bags of fabric scraps for $1.00 each. They run a sale on something different every day. Saturday is 1/2 price day and Mondays are 25% off. There is always a lot of folks in there shopping and they move the stuff pretty fast. They also stock it as fast as they move it. I also donate to them. I rarely go on there that I don't buy something.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 AM

I'm in Oklahoma City and I agree with everyone, I never go to Goodwill anymore because they are so pricey. I'm not going to pay those prices for stuff in that condition. I do go to garage sales every once in a while, and the other thrift stores here are okay if you wait until the 50% off day.
Oh well, everyone seems to think their junk is valuable.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 AM

my local salvation army used to be pretty good but the just upped there prices at the start of the year by at least a buck or two on all the clothes i have two growing kids and usualy buy second hand but i might have to go yard saleing this summer for clothes for them
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 AM

Good grief. That is awful. Whoever is in charge there doen't know beans about pricing.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Believe it or not I use to be a pricer for Salvation Army in CA back in the early 70s. I don't know how they do it now but the pricing was up to one person in the store for everything but clothing. There were a lot of elderly people shopping in the store so I priced everything according to what they could buy on fixed incomes. The merchandise sold fast, had to because the truck came once a week with more stuff and we had all the donated non clothing that that came in every day. The clothes always came from the truck, hung on hangers, cleaned with price tags. The store marked each item that didn't sell down 25% until it reached a yellow sticker price of 75% off then it went back to the truck to be repriced and sent to another location. The SA here definitely over prices items. Honestly the people working there are super nice but don't have much savvy about how to sell anything. Goodwill has silly overprices on dumb stuff and underprices on really good stuff. I bought a high quality lap quilt frame there for $2 and there was an old sequined dress with sequins falling off was $25. The pricer doesn't have a clue. There are a few thrift shops here that have real thrift shop prices, I love browsing in those.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 AM

The Goodwill store in our closest town is like that. We didn't buy ANYTHING last time we went. They even had canning jars and they were more expensive USED and without rings/lids than if I bought a case new. The Salvation Army store generally has better prices.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM

We all have to be savvy shoppers. I to fine the prices of clothes/housewares to be high at these stores.But I shop on half price days.It's a good thing.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Same for ours here, that's why I rarely ever stop anymore. Maybe it's because they are out here in the suburbs and they think people will pay more ? Some clothing is cheap but the household items are so overpriced. I believe in recycling and reusing all that we can, but why buy iffy things when you can buy NEW at Target, Walmart or Marshalls for the same $ ? I don't get it :roll: