Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 AM

I'd believe the prices at some of these good will, salvation army, waterfront rescue stores. I've seen them too. We have a good thrift store on base that is good and the prices are reasonable. Also had good luck at some of the shops that are operated by the local churches. Keep checking around - there are bargains out there.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 AM

When I go in to the second hand stores, i can't help thinking about my "stuff" and whats to become of it, so i usually take a box or 2 in to donate. I'm painfully storing items i don't need or want, so a little at a time i haul it in.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:21 AM

Those prices are really high. Here in Missouri in the rural area we have more thrift/resale shops than stores to shop. Theres a new one every month opening up. I guess that tells you something about the economy around here.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 AM

WOW and LMAO... I hope the ones in my area are better. I need to get out and explore them myself.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 AM

The main Salvation Army store here just had to downsize to a smaller building. They priced themselves out of existence, I suppose. I used to shop them till they got so high. Guess I'm not the only one that stopped shopping with them. We have a hospice house store that I donate items to now and shop there also. Rumor is that at Salvation Army, some employees go through the stuff to get what they want before they ever put it out for sale. That's just not right!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 AM

I agree. The local salvation army and goodwill stores are overcharging. We have a great deal of thrift shops in our area and they are much better priced.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 AM

I don/t know that the employees take stuff at salvation army, but when my husband dropped off our old matress at salvation army, the woman who came to the door remarked to him she needed at new mattress and was trilled to take it in.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 AM

My husband and I have been saying the same thing, their not cheap. Where in Charlotte ,NC. On wed. at salvation army clothes are 1/2 price. but thats when the price is what it should of been in the first place.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:34 AM

There are times at our Goodwill and Salvation Army that you can get a bargain. But for the most part, you can find new items for the same price as their donated items. Our GW wants $3.97 for pair of children's shorts. I can go to JCPenney and pay that for new when on sale.

But DD did find Lexi a tri-cycle in excellent condition for $3.97 the other day. They just want something for her to ride at the park. If the Goodwill thinks it is an "antique" piece of furiture or a fancy brand name, then they put a high price on it.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:34 AM

I noticed how high the prices were getting a few years back and stopped going to good will. The clothes they don't sell go to third world countries which is good I guess but I thought they were there so that people that don't have much could afford to buy clothing and household items and the proceeds went to help that same community in need. Apparently, I was wrong, most of the time you can get great clothes at elder beerman and jc penney on their sale racks cheaper than at the thrift stores, thats nuts isn't it. lol