Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 AM

Good topic. I don't frequent the stores here locally as I've never found anything that I considered a bargain. But recently with all the conversation here on the board about finding fabric, I decided to try again. I also needed to find a "gag" gown for a Murder Mystery Party so I went this week to several. At the first christian Catholic thrift, there was no organization and I couldn't find anything!
They did have several gowns hanging around the perimeter, but was asking $100 for them and they were dirty.
The second christian ministry thrift has a special $1.00 for all clothing, but again I found nothing. But their clothing was hung and arranged by size and grouped in types so it was easy to look through them .
The third Hospice thrift was beautifully laid out, clean and they had a little more upscale product, but they were expensive. Shirts $4.99!
Goodwill #1 is a bulk warehouse with everything dumped in large bins which you have to go through. I don't have enough time or patience to dig through this stuff looking for a needle in a haystack.
Goodwill #2 had several things that I purchased for our Murder Mystery Party---a mans dress jacket, tie, shoes for $5.73. A womans long dress, a womans new with tag satin robe and a pair of shoes $ 8.73. But, they also had gowns hung and they were not pretty but priced at $99.00 each!

The last place I went is a private thrift store. Boy, were they expensive , but I still found items of interest including fabric. I bought 6 yards of new cotton fabric $6.00 12 skeins of embroidery floss $ 1.00 and 2 evening gowns $14.00---I thought this was a great haul!

So, if you have lots of time and patience I think you can still find some good bargains, but it does require stamina and determination.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 AM

Gee - I sure hope that our GW stores and our SallyAnn stores don't hear what's going on around the rest of the country. I always donate to both of them and was in GW last week and bought a California King (80/20) sheet for $2.99, 3 Queen sized (one all cotton and the other 2 80/20) for 1.99 each, a Stephen King hardback and a Dean Koontz hardback fpr 1.00 each, a teapot (I collect them) for 75¢ and on top of all that I also got 20% off everything because I'm a Senior. Complain? Not this old lady ......... ;o)
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Renee, are you from Greeneville, TN? The only "Goodwill" store there lists themselves as a "retail" store and they have mostly new junk at very high prices. I went once, interested in buying. I went a couple of other times just to laugh at their ridiculous prices when I was bored!

Quilted Peace
Old 02-24-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter
Would this happen to be the Cookville, TN Goodwill store?
No it was Murfreesboro
Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lynda in TN
Renee, are you from Greeneville, TN? The only "Goodwill" store there lists themselves as a "retail" store and they have mostly new junk at very high prices. I went once, interested in buying. I went a couple of other times just to laugh at their ridiculous prices when I was bored!

Quilted Peace
No this was Murfreesboro Tn....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Our Goodwill is expensive too. I think they are waaay out of line,.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 AM

I agree, the prices at Goodwill are crazy.
I use to stop in when ever I passed one, find and old piece of wood furniture, for $10, take it home, clean and paint it.
Now they are asking $50 or more for the same beat up thing.
As for house ware, forget about it, you can buy new cheaper.
Don't go in any more.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 AM

Our local Goodwill charges at least as much as any regular store for items that are not even new. It's sad, because I was under the impression that they are supposed to be a NON-profit organization too.
I work at a nonprofit (Homeless shelter, soup kitchen and food and clothing giveaway) and we give away everything that is donated to us, whether it's food, clothing or furniture. I can understand them charging a token price to cover the cost of expenses but they have taken it to a new level all together. I can't understand how they can still operate under the label of 'Non Profit".
Now I wait for the yard sales!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Those prices are a reflection of what the store manager has set. Our Goodwill has prices much lower then those. Maybe email the main corporation some of those pictures and prices. they are ridiculous!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 AM

I have seen the same type of stuff in Ardmore OK, and Durant OK. for about the same price. I used to be able to get fabric for a pretty decent price but the last time I was in there, they wanted $3.00 a yard for s"crap". So I dont waste my time anymore.