Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Any local thrift store is going to be less expensive. Salvation Army and Good Will truck their "stuff" from city to city and they pay a lot of their people. With gas prices going up, their prices must also. Look around for some that are associated with churches and hospitals. Our Jr League has one also that is very nice. It's a bit more than some of the church ones, but they have a lot of good brand name items. SPCA has one also and it all is local donatioins and they stay in the store.
Originally Posted by Tsanchez
The Goodwill here is more expensive now than they were just a year ago. There is a Salvation Army really close to where I live and their prices are just about as much as brand new. I have stopped shopping at either one of these places because the prices have gone up so much. We do however have a small thrift store here that I volunteer at. All proceeds go to a horse rescue ranch. Now their prices are really good. This is now the only "thrift" store I buy at any more.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Our Goodwill has ridiculous prices too. Since I do donation knitting, let them know I refuse to buy bags of yarn for $7.99. If they would use smaller bags I might be able to afford it. Will have to check to see if they changed anything. Ironically, while visiting in Hawaii 2 weeks ago, got a bag of yarn for $1.99. Go figure!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Our Goodwill is pretty pricey, too. They used to have half off days, but they don't anymore. The prices in general used to be better, too, and they had more stuff, but now there is less to buy and at higher prices. I hardly ever go there anymore. But the books can be a good deal, depending on what you are looking for. I bought a stack of books for $8 the other day that would have cost three or four times that off of Amazon.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roxanne
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Our local charity store doesn't even price anything anymore. If you are interested in something you have to drag it to the checkout counter and after the clerk sizes you up, they make up a price to suit what they think they can soak you for. Definitely have different prices for different folks...

I used to donate nice clothes there a LOT, but the last time I was in the back (warehouse) part of the store where the bigger things are sold, I noticed this huge machine like a trash compactor-- it actually BALED UP loads of clothing into gigantic 'bricks'. I have no idea what they do with these (landfil?) but the back part of the warehouse was stacked to the roof with them. My guess is they don't even look at the clothes you donate... just throw it in the baler!

I go there to keep an eye out for used sewing machines and/or fabric, but they probably wouldn't sell it to me for what I could pay.
they ship them off to 3rd world countries!
No, they actually sell them for scrap.
Yea, Our goodwill sells them to a recycling plant. For all those items you by that say "20% post consumer content", or "made with recycled fibers" Thats where some of the content is coming from. It is sold by the pound, and they make good money off of it. Our store hands out flyers asking for more clothing donations, any kind. Rather than throw out the kids worn out clothes I give them to goodwill. Better than being in a landfill.
Our prices are insane, here as well. I do not shop there. Which is sad, since our area radio is constantly playing comercials about how cheap goodwill is and How they have all Sorts of name brand items, and big ticket items like treadmills and microwaves. they must be making money if they have the funds for commercials.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Our local goodwill store has the same high prices. I refuse to shop there anymore, for we can do better at Walmart or Target.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM

I too am upset with the prices at Goodwill!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 2nd hand stores was where people less fortunate money wise could afford to buy. I think the problem is the volume/demand has increased ssoooo the prices increased also.... so much for bargains! So if it ain't cheap it ain't going home with me... lol
Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 PM

I think our Goodwill prices seem to be a bit high, but nothing like yours.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 AM

I was wondering what was the matter with our Goodwill in town. I too, could not believe the prices!!I could get sweaters cheaper in WM!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 AM

That is what gets me, is they don't pay anything for the stuff, but what they want you to give them a arm and leg for it. I go to habitatap and get better buys. I don't go to goodwill anymore.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 AM

I've checked out GWs in four states, all the stores have the same price. $4.99 for a shirt, no matter what condition it in.