Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 AM

Hmmm! That's interesting. I will have to check the one near me out this morning. I have 2 in opposite directions of me. One doesn't take furniture. But they have a nice quality of clothing. I take all my stuff there. Will have to check prices and see if they have gone up. I usually buy bags of stuffed animals for Gus and Heidi for $2.97 for a big bag. The other one out where a lot of Amish shop has total junk; skeeves me out to shop there. Haven't really checked prices on furniture type stuff; but the clothes are horrible.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 AM

I check the Goodwill regularly, but am a very particular shopper. They don't have the quality here that they did 10 years ago- maybe people aren't cleaning out their closets as often with this economy, and I agree with you all about prices having gone way too far up.

That said, I do love $2 Tuesdays they have in Feb and in August to clear up seasonal merchandise. I spent $20 there last Tues. and came out with 2 pr pants, 2 light jackets for biking, 2 sweaters(l was new with labels), 1 Tshirt, and 4books. The men's dept is usually better than the ladies. You have to shop carefully, be picky, and get lucky.

I have also been known to talk to the manager if I wanted something that was priced too high, and gotten a price reduction.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 AM

I went to our local Goodwill, looking for books. You are so right, their prices are crazy for their stuff. So is the Salvation store. I go to the Catholic thrift store when I'm looking for a piece of fabric.Also go to the Army base one when I go get my meds.Going there today.I did find buckets, for $1.00 each, going use them for feeding buckets. Books are okay priced.Best bet is hitting yard sales when the weather permits. Blessing ya'll.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagoat
I went to our local Goodwill, looking for books. You are so right, their prices are crazy for their stuff. So is the Salvation store. I go to the Catholic thrift store when I'm looking for a piece of fabric.Also go to the Army base one when I go get my meds.Going there today.I did find buckets, for $1.00 each, going use them for feeding buckets. Books are okay priced.Best bet is hitting yard sales when the weather permits. Blessing ya'll.
If you are looking for the white plastic 5 gal buckets, get friendly with the folks at your local bakery or grocery store bake dept. Donut filling and frosting come in those, they may give them to you.

I used to go to a Waterfront Rescue Mission TS, very large, they had like a 6 ft wall in the back to separate the work area from the sales floor. You could see over it, they literally had MOUNTAINS of donations in plastic bags that were either coming in or going out, couldn't tell. And their prices were way too high.

Maybe they are like us, they just like to play with fabric :wink: and would rather keep it that sell it.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 AM

The prices here have probably doubled in the past year. Actually it wasn't the prices that made me quit going in to Goodwill. The merchandise has gotten to be real garbage. Badly torn and stained clothing, broken furniture, books falling apart, most of the goods are disgusting anymore.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 AM

I also went to the goodwill the other day and the prices I could have added 10.00 and went to target or wall mart to get about the same thing!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 AM

I stopped by ours this week and apparently someone raised the prices beyond reach. I was shocked - they're much higher than they used to be.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 AM

Would this happen to be the Cookville, TN Goodwill store?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

wow, that is crazy! i stopped by a local thrift store and picked up a 2-drawer filing cabinet, in good shape-(not even dings in the paint) for $7 and it had the keys with it...i have donated to good will a few times but really have not shopped there, i frequent the women's resource center thrift store and challenge mountain (where the money goes to local handicap programs like special olympics), and the habitat for humanity re-store...the big national ones (goodwill, salvation army) i tend to avoid it seems like they over price and have less quality. i think location probably matters, some may be better than others in different areas
Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 AM

I have found here in the Tennessee Valley area that the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are the most expensive.

I don't shop them anymore and will frequent the mom and pop stores..

They have outpriced themselves as far as I am concerned...