Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your favorite sewing room idea >

Your favorite sewing room idea

Your favorite sewing room idea

Old 05-29-2010, 07:41 PM

I agree with the amma about the table with drop sides. Mine is my cutting table and I usually only need one side up. My main machine and serger or on a L shaped cabinet. My design board is a large cork bulletin board covered with flannel, I can stick notes on it too. On the frame you can put cup hooks to hold some of your tools. Mine is by my cutting table so it is handy. I have tall cabints we bought from Home Depot and also shelves. If I had it to do over, I think I would put more shelves and less cabinets. Everyone has to find what works best for them. Post a picture when you get it finished.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Corry, What a great idea!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
Originally Posted by Dagny
1. A design wall is a great idea and it takes up no floor space.

2. I bought some stacking rectangular baskets at Lowes (closet organizer dept) that I use for keeping the components of WIP projects organized. I think that's been very useful.

3. You mentioned that you have two windows. You might consider locating your machine work station in front of one of them, particularly if you have a good view. The extra light will certainly be helpful.

4. Since your room is fairly small, I agree you should consider double duty equipment (e.g. cutting and pressing).

5. If it's in the budget, use a small flat screen TV that you can put on a shelf up out of the way.
Be careful about sewing in front of your window. Light dilates the pupils and can put a strain on your eyes. My eye doctor put me on to that one. I have a big picture window. When I take a break every hour, I fix a cuppa, relax and enjoy the birds (feeder outside window). Much easier on the eyes.
I didn't know that about the eyes. I sit looking out a window and have been having some eye problems, so thanks for the tip.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Melody
I am in the planning process of turning my home office into a real sewing room and I was wondering what are some of your favorite ideas that you've used to organize yourself. My room is 10 by 10 with 2 windows. So I can't go with very big with tables, but other than that, I'm looking for "anything" so don't feel limited in giving advice. I love simple things, ordinary stuff turned into new ideas. I do not have a ton of stash (like some youtubes I've seen!), but I will probably begin to accumulate more once the sewing room is complete.
I will post Before pictures, as soon as I clean up my office clutter, and also After pictures when I'm all done and settled in. I can hardly wait.
Thanks, in advance! :mrgreen:

When I did my sewing room, which is also about 10 X 10 (with a washer and dryer and washtub in it) I bought an adjustable height table from IKEA. I have a portable machine on top with an extension table. it is the proper height with lots of storage underneath the table. I also bought an Ott light and have a radio. I need music! The best part is the door - I can close it and not put my things away when I am interrupted.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 PM
JT

I'm new to this site, but just got my sewing room remodel completed this spring. One of the most important things is making sure your table/desk is the right height for your machine. I did some research before I changed my room, to make sure my hands on the machine bed put my elbows at a right angle. Really helps in not getting stiff neck and shoulders.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by JT
I'm new to this site, but just got my sewing room remodel completed this spring. One of the most important things is making sure your table/desk is the right height for your machine. I did some research before I changed my room, to make sure my hands on the machine bed put my elbows at a right angle. Really helps in not getting stiff neck and shoulders.
Thanks for the tip! My desk is too high right now. May I ask what type of table you found that works? Kim
Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 PM

One thing that was not voered, or I didnt see it. Where do you keep all of your magazines, books and patterns. Even after getting rid of a lot, I still have tons of magazines and it increase each month. Where do you put them and how do you organize them?

One more item for the sewing room. I have a small lazy susan that sits on the right side of my machine that I put items that I need when sewing. Some are in pencil holds rtc,
Old 05-29-2010, 09:10 PM
prm

I have a peg board on a wall and hang many items like scissors, hoops for my embroidery machine, quilting rulers etc. from it. As for a design wall I have purchased a tri fold display board (like kids use for school science fair projects) and covered it with flannel. Works great and can be folded and put away when not in use.
PRM
Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM
JT

We built the counter that my machine sets on. I have an L shaped work area. On my right is kitchen base cabinets that are actually built a little higher and deeper for a cutting table. Then the sewing table to the left is dropped down to about 27 inches. I have a Janome 6500, which is about 3 - 4 inches high.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:41 PM

My favorite idea in my sewing room is that we took the closet doors off and put 3 closet rods across the doorway and I hang quilts there now.