Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your favorite sewing room idea >

Your favorite sewing room idea

Your favorite sewing room idea

Old 05-29-2010, 04:43 PM

Seeing pictures of your wonderful ideas is great! The idea seems to "register" more. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:59 PM

@carollady: it took 25 years for all three kids to move out.........:-)
one room turned into grandchildrens room, one into DH (second) office room and one into MY sewing room.

First I had all of the empty nest syndrom depressions but in the meantime I am quite happy with my new freedom............and so much money left over to buy fabric!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 PM

Tools...I love coffee mugs and have a mug behind my machine that has the required quilting tools...redesgn tool..some peole call it a seam ripper...rotary cutter...1*6 ruler and marking pens. Use your wall space...shelveing units to store fab and ufos. Don't be afraid to move stuff around until you are happy with the layout. I HAVE to have a tv on during the day...just a thought.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 PM

There are really great ideas here! Thanks everyone for sharing. Athomesewing you have a sewing room to be envied. Wow, you did an awesome job there.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:57 PM

I have a 10 X 10 room also and I had trouble finding a way to store my thread (I have a lot of it) so when hubby put in 2 cabinets for my fabric, I took one of those spice racks that you put in your pantry that goes floor to ceiling, I attached it to the side of the cabinet, lined it to keep the spools in and now I have all my thread where I need it. I also bought one of those over the door shoe holders with the clear plastic slots and that is where I store my scissors, cutters, small rulers, seam rippers, etc. They are nice an neat, easy to see and out of the way. I found a bread slicing rack like they used to give you when you buy a bread maker and I use it for my rulers.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:59 PM

@ granny_59... hmmm my son is 23 and my daughter is 20.. sigh.. getting closer maybe? They have given me bits and pieces of the freedom when they are gone (daughter to college, son with girlfriend) That I didn't struggle to much with the empty nest.. I am struggling with them both being back home....lol
Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Oh, my goodness! So many great ideas. I am going to make a list of the ideas that will work best for my little room and I will keep refering back to this thread to refresh my memory so I don't forget anything! I love the pics. Without a doubt this is the best forum on the web! Honest.

I am so excited about getting started... but all my company has arrived so I will be busy for another day. After that, I will get started tearing this room apart. Fun and family tomorrow, then work and fun afterwards. I'm going to take pics of the progress as I go (boy is this going to be a mess for awhile!)
thanks ;-)
Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 PM

I, too have a small sewing room with 6 tall file cabinets and 2 curio cabinets. I've managed to put a stay in place ironing board and a small desk with my sewing machine in the room as well. I have a small glass rectangular table that sits 90 degrees and touching to the left of my desk. I use this for cutting and assembling and to hold my quilt as I'm working on it with the sewing machine. My chair has roller feet and slides from desk and sewing machine on around the corner to the glass top table to cut, etc. I also use the table and chair to scrap book. Works well for both hobbies. :)
Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 PM

I have a small room also. My DH made me a table that had two sides that lift up to make me a long table that can be left down when not needed. It is on rollers so I can move it around. It sits up to the table that my sewing machine sits down in so it's a nice workspace that doesn't take up too much room
Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59
great topic, I love the pegboards.
I also like my stuff handy so I made these.
I added binding to plastic and formed pockets by sewing it to the background fabric. Then I put some batting on cardboard, put the fabric on it and stapled it on the back.
Granny 59...I LOVE that magazine holder! May I ask how you made it? That is exactly what I want for my room. I saw something similar at the container store ... yours is very nice!! Kim in Madison WI