Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite sewing room idea

Okay company is gone the fun is over and it's time for me to get serious.... so this morning I am busy! I knew it would get worse before it gets better. And I have way more books than I thought I did!!! I have given my daughters a lot of my books (already read) but darn, I love my historical research books.
    :-( So the are staying. I'll work it out. Here are some pics of my new mess. I can barely get to my computer to send this post. :hunf:

shelves are empty
    Name:  Attachment-76678.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  42.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I woulod keep those wonderful, big desks. One for your machine(s) and one, raised, for your cutting and pressing table. They both have great drawers for tools, thread, etc. The area that would be on the right side of your machine is where I keep the tools I need when I am sewing(and things I need for that particular item I am working on). I have a small lazy susan I keep there. Those bookcases would be nice for your quilting books and maybe have room for the other books you want to keep. I can't wait for you to post the finished room.

If you get really cramped for room you could put those bookcases back to back like a room divider and free up wall space.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flikkem
    If you get really cramped for room you could put those bookcases back to back like a room divider and free up wall space.
    What a great idea!

I don't have time to read through all of these wonderful ideas but plan to come back in the near future. Here is my idea: get some of the Stash Tamer boards that Mary Jane was selling. They are wonderful! I spent the better part of my free time for a couple of days and got all my stash onto the boards. Now my fabric is standing up instead of laying down and I can see what I have. My fabric is stored in a very large cabinet that is pretty deep. Before I had a hard time seeing what was in there but no more! Now I have it all standing up and can even put some project baskets in front of my stash and just pull them out of the way when needed!

Diannia,I'm so glad you told me about those! I do want to get some boards. Tell me how do I reach this person?? I've only been on QB for about a month and some of it is still new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltluvr
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have not read all of these suggestions so sorry if this is a repeat, but my favorite ideas that I used in my sewing room is the picture rail right up by the ceiling so everything is movable, and the pegboard on the chains so I can move it anywhere I want anytime I want.
    What kind of picture rail is that?
    Actually I went to an Amish man and he had made this trim with a small rabbit in the back. I don't remember what it was intended for. I turned it upside down and attached it to the wall. As long as it has a ledge to hang the hooks from you can use almost anything. Makes it able to move anything anywhere in the room at any time.
    It's a really neat and practical idea. Love it. Thanks for the reply!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A long table would be my joy. God bless. Penny

definitely get a comfortable chair that can be raised or lowered so that it is the right height for sewing for you - feet flat on floor; shoulders relaxed etc.

Yes, a good chair is a must. I love my computer chair and it will stay in the room.

I have been looking over my list of ideas that all of you have given me and there are only a few more things I need. The room is almost ready. I cleaned the carpet, windows, curtains, etc. Moving furniture is a back-breaker.... uugghh. I'm doing stretches a few times a day to limber up. Dang, this old furniture is heavy! I have a solid oak hutch to sit on the back of the desk, but I'm going to bribe and bake for a few brawny grandsons to help. DH and I simply cannot do that kind of lifting anymore. If I have to give it up, oh well, I will. My fabric is all stocked on shelves, and looking rather pathetic in comparison to everyone elses. I don't know why I thought I had so much.

I haven't left the house since last saturday! So tomorrow I will go shopping to see if I can find the few things I'd like to have. If I can't find what I want, I'll add them later.

Thanks again, QB buddies!!

FINISHED!! :thumbup: And I do like it! sorry about the lighting in the photos, this room is always bright even on a cloudy day, which it is cloudy at the moment. So I lowered the shades in a few of the photos.

I swapped out 2 pieces of furniture but other than that, it's all the same, just moved around. The armoire needs to be refinished, but for now, it's fine. It has a lot of space inside.

As you can see, my stash is pathetic. :-(

Before pics are on page 2 (I think?) and the messy stage pics are just a page before this one.... I should have looked before I uploaded these pics.

I like having everything in one room... well, except the large handquilting frame is upstairs in a bedroom, and my floor stand frame is in the livingroom by my comfy chair.

I think it looks great! Congratulations on getting it finished in such a short time.

impressed....

Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    FINISHED!! :thumbup: And I do like it! sorry about the lighting in the photos, this room is always bright even on a cloudy day, which it is cloudy at the moment. So I lowered the shades in a few of the photos.

I swapped out 2 pieces of furniture but other than that, it's all the same, just moved around. The armoire needs to be refinished, but for now, it's fine. It has a lot of space inside.

As you can see, my stash is pathetic. :-(
    It's a beauty!! Now you can go in there, shut the door, and feel as though you're at a retreat.

Thank you. It was a lot of sorting, very little pitching, and bought nothing.... yet. I now have room for some real stash! I kept holding myself back thinking that I just didn't have any place to put it. But apparently I have more room than I thought. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    Thank you. It was a lot of sorting, very little pitching, and bought nothing.... yet. I now have room for some real stash! I kept holding myself back thinking that I just didn't have any place to put it. But apparently I have more room than I thought. :mrgreen:
    Time to fill 'er up!! That's the best part.......next to quilting it, which is almost as fun as finishing it, but then when it goes to a new home the happiness you feel is pretty good too..............

OK, so it just starts with the fabric.

Room looks great btw. You got it done fast too.

I have to admit, knowing I was going to post the "results" here on the board was very motivating. I just didnt' want to put it off. I sort of felt obligated in a good way! :) So thank you all for motivating me... otherwise, it would have taken me longer.

Blog Entries
    I know I am blessed with the space I have for my sewing room. DH let me have free rein when I moved here 13 years ago so I designed just what I wanted. So my sewing studio has sky lights and large windows on 2 sides. One wall is all cabinets (like kitchen cabinets). The counter top serves as my cutting board with a large self healing mat always in place. 2 of the upper cabinets serve to hold anything quilt related that is smaller than 1 yard of fabric but larger than a FQ as well as other quilting supplies. The large pantry cupboard holds over 3000 yards of fabric right now and is jammed to the gills. In addition to the stash cabinet there are fabrics any number of other places including on top of the cabinets. I also have my bathroom right between the cutting board counter and my computer desk. This was also built in at the same time. Around the other walls are a love seat that has many purposes including storing UFO's I have 5 sewing machines in this room and one more in the living room (I ran out of space). I also keep a small refrigerator in here.There is always a WIP on the counter/cutting board. Oh yeah, in the lower cabinets there are 10 pull out drawers where I can store all kinds of rubber stamps and stencils and such. I have thread racks everywhere and I have made several racks that you can pull out like a drawer and find the thread you want. I have taken doweling and put thread spools across the top of the bathroom door. Makes for easy storage. (I have several thousands spools of thread many for my embroidery machines). Of course this room is always in motion. Always threads and even right now a top I am sewing together lays on the floor. Oh did I mention I spend 90% of my day in here. Here are a few pictures.

stash cabinet (can't get the whole thing in the picture)
    Name:  Attachment-79795.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  77.5 KB

counter/ cutting board and cupboards
    Name:  Attachment-79796.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  40.6 KB

one of my sewing machines
    Name:  Attachment-79797.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  35.5 KB

Julia,
    wow, that's a lot of cabinets! I really like the colors in your stash.

Blog Entries
    What you saw in the picture is under half of what I have. I was blessed a couple years ago to purchase about 2000 yards of fabric from a quilters estate. (There is most likely much more than that). For $400. My sister also purchased a great deal. When I added the new fabrics to what I already had I was more than overwhelmed. I decided that only on a rare occasion would I ever half to buy fabric again. I still have crates of fabric I haven't even opened yet. I have enough fabric to outlive me! And yes I have already drawn up a clause in my will as to who will get it. One of the local quilt guilds so they can use it for charity quilts.

Charity quilts... that is a wonderful thing to do.

Blog Entries
    Like I said somewhere else I am a fabric-aholic and I know it. Even if my sister and my 2 daughter's decided they wanted some there would still be a great deal left. But neither of my girls quilt (at least now anyway) and my sister comes and robs my stash anytime she wants. Many quilting friends just come by to find that special piece and enjoy it. Of course it is always a bunch of fun when someone says, "this is more fun than going to JAF for fabrics any day!"

Wow, a lot of excellent ideas. It'll take me awhile to read through this thread but I wanted to post and at least get updates.

There really are a lot of ideas and I tried to use as many as would fit in my 10 by 10 room. I want to get some racks for spools of thread to put inside the hutch doors behind the machine. And I'm on the lookout for a wooden caddy to carry my tools with me when I do my handquilting upstairs. I also want to raise the cutting table with some casters. But this is such a good start that I'm enjoying it for awhile "as-is". :-D

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast