Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which is your preferred backing? >

which is your preferred backing?

which is your preferred backing?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 PM

[quote=just_the_scraps_m'am]
I really like this method.

And I like to use scraps from the front to make a backing, too.

But best of all is a wide backing with no seams.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM

I made my son a quilt when he retired from the Navy 3 years ago. I didn't have enough fabric for the backing so I got the bright idea of spelling out his name with semaphore signal flag blocks. I got pictures of the flags by doing a google search. I made the blocks 16" and it was just enough to make up the difference. He thought it was a great idea!! Certainly was one of a kind!!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM

if your quilt is over 90" your choices are limited. you can have multiple seams or you can buy wide backing.

if your fabric is 42" wide (and most are not 45" anymore) you need more than two runs side by side to get the width you need for a king or even a generous queen (long drop).

i need 9 yards for a generous queen (98" square*). that includes the extra on the sides for the quilting frame clamps. i lose a lot in the width in the beginning (about 16-18") and a little gets trimmed away at the end and becomes part of my stash. even on sale at $4.00 py it still costs $36 for the backing alone. i'm always on the lookout for that price or less for something i think i can use in the future as a backing. wide backing has to be less than $12 per yard with shipping to compete with that price. it's usually the shipping that tips the scales.

*i have a sideboard on my bed and quilts look odd if they don't at least hit the top of the sideboard.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM

The Flynn method sometimes saves quite a bit of fabric. It's not difficult to do once you "get" it. Another big advantage is that the seam is diagonal, so seams are never folded on each other. Nor do they roll on top of each other on a quilting frame. (With frame quilting, if the Flynn method won't work, I prefer to have horizontal seams for the same reason.)

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113973@N05/
Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM

i never could get the math for a 98 x 98, or round it up. or math for anything, really.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Just made a quilt for a good friend and used the extra wide muslin. It was white but no seams! Quilt was 80 x 100. Bought the backing at Joann's using my 40% off so it only cost me $12.00. And I had a enough to add to my stash for white blocks for applique!! Going to get some more for a Christmas quilt top I made year before last.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM

wow! how did you do that? what was the original price? i never saw that here.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Can't remember the original price but I bought 3 yards and had a bunch left over. I was looking for muslin because of the cheaper price and the salelady showed me the extra wide stuff. They have it in other widths too. I just needed the 104" for the length and 3 yards was wide enough for the width. It sure saved a bunch of money and with the coupon it was almost half the original price. Going this week or next to get enough for the backing of another quilt top for myself. It's about the size of the one I just did so I will be getting the same width.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 AM

sounds good. i usually like 3.5 yards for the length for squaring it up, especially from joanns. their wide backing shrinks some but i can still use it. but, if it starts at $10 a yard and goes to $6 with the coupon and i need 3.5, isn't it still costing $21? did i figure it wrong? i trust the width to be square, but i don't trust them to cut. and even at that width, it hardly gives anything extra on the outside.
if the quilt is 98" and the fabric is 104(?)" that only leaves 6" to divide between the two sides. 3" isn't a lot.

UNLESS, the muslin was less $$ and they let you use the coupon. here there's nothing less than $9.99 and if it goes on sale, i can't use the coupon.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 PM

It wasn't on sale. That's why I could use my coupon. I can't remember the original price. I do know that my quilt was aproximately 80 x 100. I had plenty with 3 yards. The cost might have been more but I know it wasn't over $15. I hope to get to Joann's in the next couple of days cause I have a 50% off that is only good till May 2 or 3. I'm going to purchase the same fabric so I will let you know when I do. I also preshrink all of my fabrics and I had plenty left after quilting it.