Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your sewing area 'inviting'?

I prefer a clean sewing room when I start a new project. It only takes a few minutes to throw the scraps in a bag, put the thread and bobbins away, change your needle and clean the fuzzies out of the machine and empty the trash.
    That way I find all my tools I need for the next project.

I make a mess during a project and then put everything in order after I'm done and the whole process starts again, with the next project. I actually found yardage I bought a while ago and don't quite remember what I was going to use it for. :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I organized my room, now I can't find a darn thing and I don't feel comfortable in it.
    So, I started a small project, pulling things out and "messing up" a little and I'm right back at home. Guess I love chaos......
    I need a little creative chaos too :D:D:D

If i spent the time to put everything away i would never get to sewing! I "overhaul" my space about once a month then mess it up all over again....i call it be creative HaHa

Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    I prefer a clean sewing room when I start a new project. It only takes a few minutes to throw the scraps in a bag, put the thread and bobbins away, change your needle and clean the fuzzies out of the machine and empty the trash.
    You and I would get along GREAT!! :thumbup:

No. But I like it and know where everything (well almost everything) is.

I am one of those people who feel that they must clean up after using the room, I do leave the projects that I am working on out but they are neatly stacked. I cannot work if there is too much mess.

I can't stand clutter so I try to keep mine at a minimum. I don't like anything on my table when I'm cutting out a quilt. At the moment there's a build up of 'stuff' but before I start my next project it will be cleared off and put away or thrown away. Thread and bobbins are always in their proper place. BTW if anything falls on the floor on of our dogs tends to eat it so that's another reason to keep things neat.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Inviting: sure, since my sewing area is my kitchen, how could it not be? Maybe not my current project but the food...... :)

Yes, I keep things cleaned since the room does dual duty and I don't like not being able to find things. Plus kitchen duty is the hubbys and I don't want to find my rotary cutter in the knife drawer :)

My living room floor in my design "wall" so I keep that room clean as well.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    You and I would get along GREAT!! :thumbup:

My sewing room is your sewing room anytime.
    I love to share.

Mine is my bedroom so I try and keep everything in it's place
    even though I'd love to have my own sewing room to mess up
    and not have to pick up each and every day. :D

I have an extra chair in my space for one of my bestest friends to sit in and visit. Only problem, I have to really clean more than just my room to let her see it.

Nope! My sewing room is chaos! It has our old bed, my sons old clothes, his old toys, two bookshelves, and then my sewing desk is kind of crammed into a corner! Right now I'm sewing on the dining room table because I can actually lay my quilt on the table!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I organized my room, now I can't find a darn thing and I don't feel comfortable in it.
    So, I started a small project, pulling things out and "messing up" a little and I'm right back at home. Guess I love chaos......
    Me too! if it's clean I can't work. My sewing room always feels inviting to me no matter how messy it gets.
    I am so happy too see I not the only one that is this way :roll:

Blog Entries
    I have a quilting room but it is storage. I sew on the kitchen table. Hard to believe how much is stored under the table.

Your post is a nice reminder. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Deara,
    I love your quilting helper in your Avatar.

Mine is quite organized at the moment. Very inviting!!! Though when I am planning out quilts I pull fabrics and let them sit around to "audition" Frequently I am auditioning several quilts at a time.

Well not too bad but unfortunately I have three rather large quilts laying out on the floor. I am piecing two and DD the other. We need a place to put them so we know what part to sew where. Drives me crazy! I NEED a display wall bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    My sewing area is at the kitchen table. I've always been good about cleaning up and puting things away, so that the table can be used for other things...like eating. lol But, lately I've been working on a scrappy project that I need to leave out. Tonight, I pushed it all to one side of the table so my kids could eat, dh and I ate in the living room.

I don't have a dedicated room -- yet.
    Right now I use the dining room table and I have a table in DD room (she's at college) DH is working on building a sewing cabinet for me then I will probably take over DDs room as a dedicated sewing room. She has her own apartment at college comes home a night here and there.
    For now the dining room table would be organized chaos...we eat in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I recently cleaned my sewing room and it literally paralyzed me once I stepped into the room. Couldn't do a thing in there. NOW, I am back to the chaos. Got 7 projects going simoultaneously and happy as a lark. Anyone else "enter at your own risk!" That doesn't deter honey - he has his chair in the corner and he hangs out there watching tv or reading. Me, I would be scared of the avalanche of stuff looming at the edge of the table. Brave man! lol
    That's me, Mad!!!
    I cleaned my room, put everything away neatly, now can't find a dang thing in there! I'm hunting for patterns I KNEW I had. Knew EXACTLY where they were, now can't find them. I even made a bin for patterns, but are the ones I want in there? NO!
    So, I'm back to making it "me" again!

Mine was - I moved into a new house and vowed that I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, allow myself to start a new project without first cleaning up the room - I find that bossing myself around out-loud helps me stay disciplined ;)

Quote Originally Posted by clarerowley
    Mine was - I moved into a new house and vowed that I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, allow myself to start a new project without first cleaning up the room - I find that bossing myself around out-loud helps me stay disciplined ;)
    I refuse to have an arguement with myself ;)

I relax the best, and enjoy it the most when I start with a clean, organized space. As I work through a project, that changes a lot! (:

First off I am a neatnique. My sewing room is only 10'x10' so when ever I sew before I leave the room I straighten up. Goes back to DM she said always straighten up and it will be a pleasure to come back. I also always do dishes and make beds before I leave the house. Hate to come home to messy.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast