Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your sewing area 'inviting'?

My sewing room invites me to do many things.

One of them is to have equal time with this computer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    I prefer a clean sewing room when I start a new project. It only takes a few minutes to throw the scraps in a bag, put the thread and bobbins away, change your needle and clean the fuzzies out of the machine and empty the trash.
    That way I find all my tools I need for the next project.
    You and I would get along GREAT!! :thumbup:

My sewing room is your sewing room anytime.
    I love to share.
    I'll come sew in your room when I come to visit my daughter. OK?

Quote Originally Posted by pieces
    My sewing room is always neat. Can't stand clutter, I put rulers away after I finish using them. After sewing I put my nips away, my box of pins. As I sew and trim threads they go straight to the trash. After I finish with a project the fabric goes back into the bin or scrap box. I have pictures on the wall and a small quilt hangs on the wall at my sewing machine.
    In homemec we were told 'a place for everthing,
    and everything in its place'. And I have continued this throughout my house, sewing room included. :thumbup:
    That is exactly how I like to do things. I have a little Shark Vacuumn in my sewing room and pick up all the treads that missed my trash bin after sewing for the day too. Love it that way.

I have a multiple hundred dollar cat hammock in my sewing room. I bought a Gracie and have a practice peice on it. Anytime I am in there both cats must be on it lounging. I really don't mind now but when I put on a real quilt I must find a way to keep thim off. Otherwise my room is normally in a huge mess. I am with Teri. If I put things away I can't find a thing.

Is my sewing area inviting? ABSOLUTELY...it's in the kitchen! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Anything 'untidy' is never an invittation to enjoy any creative endeavor, especially in a sewing room. I can't understand how anyone can enjoy working in a mess. Guess I'm just weird that way!

Quote Originally Posted by dottientx
    Anything 'untidy' is never an invittation to enjoy any creative endeavor, especially in a sewing room. I can't understand how anyone can enjoy working in a mess. Guess I'm just weird that way!
    I guess there are a lot of weird quilters if thats the case. LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK, I just had to share these great little words of wisdom from Singer on this post: Sewing Advice from a 1949 Singer Sewing Manual. Maybe it will make you smile too...

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing.

Think about what you are going to do.

Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically.

Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade.

When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

Put on a clean dress.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.

Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals.

Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on.

If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.

Creative chaos is comfortable to me!

My stash is everywhere... I used to sew in the basement so people could not see my mess. Hubby complained about not being together so now I sew and mess up the livingroom. The basement area is still clogged/stacked with fabric, batting etc. If we have a family function I say basement is off limits, don't go into the spare bedroom (everything get shoved in there) and threaten to put up crime sceen table blocking off the areas with do not enter or even look at.

I am beginning to wrap fabric on the foam boards and when hubby goes hunting in Oct. I plan to make a huge effort on organizing.

My dream is to make the living room once again livable and not look so paniced if someone knocks on the door. Hubby is getting tired of visiting on the front porch.

Work full time-commute 2 hr a day and enjoy my quilting as relaxation. But am worried that HORDERS could discover me and want to film.

Happy sewing....

Quote Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    OK, I just had to share these great little words of wisdom from Singer on this post: Sewing Advice from a 1949 Singer Sewing Manual. Maybe it will make you smile too...

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing.

Think about what you are going to do.

Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically.

Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade.

When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

Put on a clean dress.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.

Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals.

Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on.

If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.

Oh my goodness, Do I have to put on a clean dress??? I don't even own one. Would clean capris or jeans work?? HE HE HE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I organized my room, now I can't find a darn thing and I don't feel comfortable in it.
    So, I started a small project, pulling things out and "messing up" a little and I'm right back at home. Guess I love chaos......
    Oh I'm so with you on that. I moved my room from one to another, organized everything and now spend most of what should be my quilting time searching for things. I liked chaos better I think.

My sewing room is large, but I have a ping pong table for my work surface that takes up pretty much the whole room. There's enough room to walk all the way around the table, but not much more. I try to tidy up before I turn off the lights for the night. I have to stay organized. I can't stand it when I'm having to look under things to try to find some buried tool. I'm not a particularly organized housekeeper, but my desk tends to be neat.

I try to pick up before leaving my quilting room as we have a cat. Our cat loves to sit on quilts and I don't want a pin to stab him. Also I am more motivated to sew when I am organized.

Blog Entries
    Mine says,
    "Don't come in or something will fall on you".
    J J

I tidied up mine a couple of weeks ago, and I must say, it definitely helps it feel more inviting...now just to have more time! :)

I organize after every project -even vacumn!

Blog Entries
    I cannot work if things are scattered. Chaos is not my thing. I USUALLY know where everything is. You know--put it where you can find it, oh, sure.LOL Not always, just once in a while. I just forget sometimes.

MESS...MESS...MESS...And I wouldn't change a thing. Every time I straighten it up I cannot find anything and then feel guilty when I make a mess again. Vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I organized my room, now I can't find a darn thing and I don't feel comfortable in it.
    So, I started a small project, pulling things out and "messing up" a little and I'm right back at home. Guess I love chaos......
    Thats ME to a tee...

My sewing room is very inviting! I keep it neat (most of the time) and organized and decorate it with my favorite things. It's actually nicer and cleaner than the rest of the house because it's my sanctuary. 8-)

Bev
    I love organization. I pick up before leaving my sewing room for the day. That way I get to start in a neat sewing room the next day.
    Me too. Can't live with it any other way.
    I guess Im kinda OCD. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by dottientx
    I guess there are a lot of weird quilters if thats the case. LOL
    Yep, I must be weird too!!!

Currently, I live with my parents to help take care of them. Anyway, my "sewing Room" is my bedroom, T.V. room, excess kitchen storage, excess pantry space. I believe the measurements for the room is 10x12...so I would say disaster might not be a good choice for my room. One corner of the room, though is sewing. And unfortunately I do feel guilty if I try to work on any craft or sewing project if my room is "piled high". With such close quarters there is no more space for invintive storage.

I was sewing in my dining room which I enjoy because it is bright and sunny. I am fixing an extra bedroom for a sewing room. It is starting to look ok not fancy like some of the ones I see posted here. It is inviting and I'm sort of OCD and like things organized. I have two bedrooms torn apart because of this idea and my wash room in the basement where I had things. When it gets done I may post a picture or two.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast