Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 162

Thread: Is your sewing area 'inviting'?

  1. #126
    Super Member mar32428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Winter PArk, Florida
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    The other night I noticed my sewing area was a disaster zone with STUFF laying allll over the place.
    (I'd been busy in it lately :) ;-) )
    It didn't 'invite' me to sit and relax and work on any sewy/quilty thing :shock: :shock:

    So I TIDIED UP my sewing area for a couple of hours. I went from here to there and put things where they belonged.
    Emptied the trash. Combined 2 boxes of like fabric into 1 larger box. Cleared off my horizontal surfaces.
    Even sorted out my threads into like color groups (blues, whites, blacks, etc). You know that type of clean up.

    Last night I felt 'invited' to start a project in this cleaned up sewing area where everything was in the place it belonged.
    I had clean, open horizontal surfaces where I could spread out the new project and not lose any of it.
    It was SOOOO NICE!!!! It was SOOOOO ENJOYABLE to work in the area.

    Just thought I'd pass that on in case you don't feel 'invited' into your own sewing area.
    Always, to me.

  2. #127
    Super Member mar32428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Winter PArk, Florida
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    The other night I noticed my sewing area was a disaster zone with STUFF laying allll over the place.
    (I'd been busy in it lately :) ;-) )
    It didn't 'invite' me to sit and relax and work on any sewy/quilty thing :shock: :shock:

    So I TIDIED UP my sewing area for a couple of hours. I went from here to there and put things where they belonged.
    Emptied the trash. Combined 2 boxes of like fabric into 1 larger box. Cleared off my horizontal surfaces.
    Even sorted out my threads into like color groups (blues, whites, blacks, etc). You know that type of clean up.

    Last night I felt 'invited' to start a project in this cleaned up sewing area where everything was in the place it belonged.
    I had clean, open horizontal surfaces where I could spread out the new project and not lose any of it.
    It was SOOOO NICE!!!! It was SOOOOO ENJOYABLE to work in the area.

    Just thought I'd pass that on in case you don't feel 'invited' into your own sewing area.
    Always, to me.
    You notice, I didn't say cleaned, just inviting, even in chaos.

  3. #128
    Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,684
    My room is inviting. It's inviting me to come in and clean! I guess that is why I can't settle on a new project. I need to clean up from the last one.

  4. #129
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,762
    My sewing room is inviting only to me..... oh, and the grandchildren. They always seem to find things to fool with -- and of course they like to turn on the TV and sit at the sewing machine to watch. :o)

  5. #130
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,762
    My sewing room is inviting only to me..... oh, and the grandchildren. They always seem to find things to fool with -- and of course they like to turn on the TV and sit at the sewing machine to watch. :o)

    Oops! What happened? Sorry!

  6. #131

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Posts
    153
    My sewing room is so small and so compact, that one thing out of place and it looks like a disaster! The only way to get more space is to invade another room - been thinking a lot about it lately!!!LOL

  7. #132
    Bev
    Bev is offline
    Super Member Bev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    The other night I noticed my sewing area was a disaster zone with STUFF laying allll over the place.
    (I'd been busy in it lately :) ;-) )
    It didn't 'invite' me to sit and relax and work on any sewy/quilty thing :shock: :shock:

    So I TIDIED UP my sewing area for a couple of hours. I went from here to there and put things where they belonged.
    Emptied the trash. Combined 2 boxes of like fabric into 1 larger box. Cleared off my horizontal surfaces.
    Even sorted out my threads into like color groups (blues, whites, blacks, etc). You know that type of clean up.

    Last night I felt 'invited' to start a project in this cleaned up sewing area where everything was in the place it belonged.
    I had clean, open horizontal surfaces where I could spread out the new project and not lose any of it.
    It was SOOOO NICE!!!! It was SOOOOO ENJOYABLE to work in the area.

    Just thought I'd pass that on in case you don't feel 'invited' into your own sewing area.
    You and I must be kindred spirits! I work on projects for a while, and then my sewing studio (my new word for my sewing room) just gets too messy for me to stand it. Then I'll take the time to get everything super organized and in its place, and I am SO motivated to work in it. I think I do better quality workmanship on my quilts even, when my workspace is tidy and organized. Does that make sense????
    YUP!

  8. #133
    Super Member seamstome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,337
    My sewing room is usually inviting. I love sitting in there and frequently just sit in there even when Im not sewing.

  9. #134
    Junior Member Sharon Chaffino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upland, Ca
    Posts
    107
    My sewing room is a disaster as well, and it seems like I don't really get enough done. I think you have hit upon the answer. Thanks for the suggestion. Time to do the housework.

  10. #135
    Junior Member oldhag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    My sewing room is usually inviting. I love sitting in there and frequently just sit in there even when Im not sewing.
    I call mine my sewing boudoir. (It doubles as my bedroom). I have to keep it tidy so the bed can be found. All the clothes we wear are stored in the laundry room because, well... you need more room for fabric than you do for clothes. That's where you throw the dirty ones out so you may as well get dressed there too.
    I do sit in my room and stare at the fabrics when I am between projects. It keeps me calm and sane.

  11. #136
    Super Member Lyncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Buckeye AZ
    Posts
    1,251
    I seem to be the "out of sight, out of mind" kind of personality. I straighten up after a project, but I need to see things so I remember what I've got!

  12. #137
    Dee
    Dee is offline
    Super Member Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    3,618
    When my project is done I pick up everything and prepare for the next. But I usually tidy up each time I'm done for the day. Stuff all over gets me upset.

  13. #138
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I organized my room, now I can't find a darn thing and I don't feel comfortable in it.
    So, I started a small project, pulling things out and "messing up" a little and I'm right back at home. Guess I love chaos......
    Yep, thats me. Only at this point it is beyond "messing up a little" LOL It needs some TLC

  14. #139
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,224
    I love my sewing room. I took over my youngest son's room right after he was married! He came back from his honeymoon and they came over. Neither one could believe what I did. I painted the walls-put flowers on them!! and moved in big time with all my sewing stuff. They said "boy you didn't waste any time!!" When my room gets messy though then it is discouraging, so I have to get the gumtion to clean it. I posted here a couple of pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  15. #140
    Senior Member newbiequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    No. Calif
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda
    I love my sewing room. I took over my youngest son's room right after he was married! He came back from his honeymoon and they came over. Neither one could believe what I did. I painted the walls-put flowers on them!! and moved in big time with all my sewing stuff. They said "boy you didn't waste any time!!" When my room gets messy though then it is discouraging, so I have to get the gumtion to clean it. I posted here a couple of pictures.
    WOW - after the flowers, the 1st thing I noticed was the great thread display! What a lovely, inviting room. My "place" looks like a cave after seeing this! You did a fantastic job.

  16. #141
    Super Member JeanieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    4,271
    Great room! I also took over our son's room. Just finished it up with new paint and flooring. I am enjoying it so much!

  17. #142
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greendale Twp: Midland, MI
    Posts
    216
    Well, my sewing room is inviting to me, but not to others that are neat-nics.
    I have a large sewing room, 14.5' x 40', plus a 12'x12' storage room with shelving units.
    The last 4 years I have not been able to really get into lifting, cleaning nor even sewing or knitting on my machines.
    I'm sure you all know how any flat surface becomes a magnet. Daughters have offered to help but this is something I want to do myself.
    The way I have been feeling better the last two weeks I feel pretty sure that I'm going to be able to start sewing like I used to. I am so anxious to be able to spend hours in my "inviting" sewing room.
    The trade off is that my stash has been growing. I love those online fabric stores!
    Ya'all drop in for coffee and some sewing time with me.

  18. #143
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce
    Well, my sewing room is inviting to me, but not to others that are neat-nics.
    I have a large sewing room, 14.5' x 40', plus a 12'x12' storage room with shelving units.
    The last 4 years I have not been able to really get into lifting, cleaning nor even sewing or knitting on my machines.
    I'm sure you all know how any flat surface becomes a magnet. Daughters have offered to help but this is something I want to do myself.
    The way I have been feeling better the last two weeks I feel pretty sure that I'm going to be able to start sewing like I used to. I am so anxious to be able to spend hours in my "inviting" sewing room.
    The trade off is that my stash has been growing. I love those online fabric stores!
    Ya'all drop in for coffee and some sewing time with me.
    Hey Joyce! I live just 1-1/2 hours or so south from you, I would love to have coffee with you!

    Our sewing rooms/space needs to be inviting to each owner. So long as we like what we have and can be happy in that working space. Perhaps it is not all that we would like it to be but it suits. That is what is most important.

    I just made a full pot of coffee! Come on over!

  19. #144
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine-ly Florida
    Posts
    3,897
    Matilda- the flowers, the thread (oh, I've never seen it dispayed like that...so lovely and so much!) and the computer monitor that matches the flowers.
    You have a very nice space...it seems to be inviting me in!

  20. #145
    Super Member katiebear1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    lexington ky
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I love organization. I pick up before leaving my sewing room for the day. That way I get to start in a neat sewing room the next day.
    Me too. And I vacuum once a week.

  21. #146
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,762
    OK Joyce and Mathilda, I can smell that coffee waaayy down here. Wish I could join you.

    The only thing I wish I had IN my sewing room is a table top -- preferably one clear of clutter.

  22. #147
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,761
    I have to keep mine cleaned up, it drives me nuts if I don't clean up after each project.

  23. #148
    2wheelwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    879
    I have to have it clean as well. I just can't stand to go in there with everything a mess. Makes me really stress, and not want to be there. So I straighten up before I leave it every day. The current project and it's "stuff" stays out, but everything else goes back to its "place" so I can find it next time.

  24. #149
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greendale Twp: Midland, MI
    Posts
    216
    Okay, Matilda and GailG, we can have our cyber coffee break together.
    Matilda, you and I can actually have coffee together.
    By this fall I would like to get my sewing room cleaned up to where it is my sewing room again instead of a drop off for everybody's "stuff".
    Then I would like for those close enough to have a get together. We actually have quite a few of us close together, and some who don't mind driving.
    I have a number of different machines and would be happy to share including my knitting machines.
    I love teaching and would be happy to share "how to do's".

  25. #150
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,475
    At the moment mine must be very inviting cause I have 2 of my daughters, my son, my son-in-law and my Dh here in with me. They are all on computers, three of them are playing a game with each other, One's researching wedding stuff and Dh took a break (that's why I'm on here right now) He was playing a game on this computer. My son has taken over a quarter of my sewing desk for his laptop.
    I love having everyone here in the room with me!!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.