Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Sewing Machine? >

Your Sewing Machine?

Your Sewing Machine?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM

I love my mid-line Brother with the needle down feature. I do have an old singer with a good stitch but rarely use it as I get too frustrated with out the needle down The best invention on the newer machines...the rest I could do without.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM

I never pay attention to the other machines in class. I have a Janome 6600P and love it but need a smaller machine to tote. I don't like the Janome Jem but a lot of other people do. I hear it is a workhorse and very reliable. Just not a lot of options.
Diane/Wyoming
Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM

I have two Brother machines. I love them both.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM

If you're happy with it, then don't let other peoples machines or comments affect you.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 AM

I have a Pfaff and 2 Singers and a Kenmore. I went to a retreat and took my Featherweight. Several people came over to ask whether that was the only machine I had brought. After talking for a while they were impressed. The next day one of the husbands dropped in and she brought him over to show him the Featherweight so he would know what to look for at auctions so she could get one too. I look at the heavy machines that others bring to retreats and most of them are doing only a straight stitch. If I know I am going to need a zigzag stitch I take the portable Singer which has some fancy stitches too. Use what you have and feel sorry for all the weight the other have to carry in with fancy machines.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, the fancy machines are nice, but not very portable. I've been thinking of buying a smaller, less expensive machine to travel with and take to MIL's when we sew together.
In the end it's the talent of the seamstress/quilter, NOT the sewing machine!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Don't feel badly about your inexpensive Brother machine. If it sews the stitches you need for the class, then you are fine. I know the feeling though. For years I went to a week-long sewing conference. Almost everyone there had Husqvarna-Viking machines. They looked down on my Bernina Artists 200 and it probably cost more than most of their machines. I love my Bernina and I got over the others looking down on it. At the last conference, I did notice that several people had newer model Berninas and one person even had an Elna so I wasn't alone anymore.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM

I have one of those fancy computerized machines. But the only reason I have it is because my old faithful finally died on me. I had it for over 25 years and it sewed 2 little girls clothes and numerous quilts. My husband told me to find a really good machine becuase I worked on it so much. So I did. I got a Pfaff Creative 4.0 and do not regret the decision. The only drawback is that it is so big and heavy that it is hard to take to classes, retreats, etc. I am thinking of getting a littler machine for that.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 AM

I'm like everyone else if it works for you don't worry about it The fancy machines are nice but if you don't need all the fancy stuff on them then it is a waste of money. It's like buying a Cadillac to drive to the mailbox and back.
Enjoy the class and be happy that you can make just as lovely quilt as the rest.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM

I just started getting involved in my subdivision's weekly sewing group and took my Featherweight(I have a BAD back & can't carry heavy objects) to class and was shocked at everyone's machines. They had the HIGH end machines(money was evidently NO object for these ladies) and I only had the OLD machines(White & Kenmore) that are in cabinets so I didn't get involved before until I acquired my Featherweight. The next week I went to class three other ladies brought their Featherweights. They all said they were tired of carrying their HEAVY good machines to class when all we do is straight stitch sewing anyways. I just consider all the extra money that I can spend on fabric. Sure I'd love to have a high-end machine, but being on disability this will never be in the budget unless my hubby wins the lottery and we both know this won't probably happen either, lol!!