Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your stash is part of your estate! >

Your stash is part of your estate!

Your stash is part of your estate!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 AM

I guess I should. Somehow I don't think my quilting closet will be the first place my SIL looks when I die.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

get rid, who wants to die the richest man in the graveyard!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 AM

when my husband makes a comment about my quilt stuff my 2 step daughters say watch out that is our inheritance.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MTS
There is a Quilter's Will form out there (too early to search) where you can appoint your "Executor" and designate your wishes for the dispersal of your stash. While it's legal standing is questionable :wink: , I'm sure the family will respect your wishes.

I think the most important part is for them to realize it has some value and they just don't toss it out as a bunch of rags.

My friend actually included it when she recently redid her real legal papers, and I thought it was such a hoot I did it as well when I did mine a bit later. Her husband then pointed out the very possible likelihood that we'd both meet our ends on one of our quilting expeditions, and then he'd STILL be stuck with the fabric as I wouldn't be around to GET IT OUT OF HIS HOUSE (his emphasis). :wink:

Found it:
http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml
This "quilterswill" IS A HOOT!!!! -
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by jillaine
I have been so astounded by the wonderful collections so many of you have-- huge "stashes" of amazing fabrics, as well as quilts-- finished or not-- either made by you or others, as well as any number of quilting-related items.

We've also read posts on this board about amazing findings at estate sales and yard sales and in Goodwill and thrift stores. And many of us have commented on the apparent ignorance some people have towards the value of the stashes left behind by family and friends.

What do YOU want to happen to your stash/collection after you're gone? Is it part of your estate? Have you accounted for it in your will? If you don't have a will, or haven't accounted for it in your will, have you otherwise communicated to your family what you want done with it?

This is important to me because I am also a family historian. I have a cousin (I can't believe I'm related to him...) who when his parents died, basically put everything out on the curb in hefty bags for the trash people to pick up. Everything that wasn't large furniture. Everything. We lived across the country from each other then, and I didn't learn about his actions until long after they occurred. But I was appalled.

We can't control much once we've died, but we can make our wishes known.

Have you?
When my hubby's dad died, he pulled his pick up truck up to the garage door, and cleared a path to the burn barrel and stared a fire.

I know he had to have destroyed a few thousand dollars worth of goodies that someone would have loved. I managed to grab one lunch box, some marbles, a couple toys and a game or two. Almost got hurt doing it though. And was FORCED to throw a lifetime collection of silk ties in a burn barrel. THREATENED WITHIN AN INCH OF MY LIFE IN FACT

SO---my will says my older DD gets first dibs, my sis in law gets second dibs, then the stuff goes to church for anyone there and then to whereever!

My hubby will drop everything I own into a burn barrel if one of the gals in the family doesn't stop him. DESPITE THE WILL!
OMG what an awful thing to think someone would burn all traces of your existence.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Your story makes me cringe and cry! what a shame!.My kids
know how much my "hobby" costs and they appreciate what I have. They are going to "fight" over who gets what so I"m just going to go in peace!!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Since I just started quilting and collecting all the quilting stuff I am not sure what would happen to it. If I passed away before my mom I would want her to have everything to hold on to for my daughter (3yo) for when she is older...if I live a long life I am hoping my daughter gets into it and if so I'll leave everything to her. :)

I think my hubby knows not to throw stuff away and he would give it to someone in the family. (I would hope anyways)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM

I love it, when I used to collect books I knew my son would throw them away if anything happened to me. I am so glad I at least got one quilt my Mother made and I will tell my son about he Quilters Will. :lol:
Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Wether funny or serious this ought to make you stop and think. PUT IT IN WRITEING!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM

My stash will be divided between two of my best friends. My sewing machine will be taken by one of those gals to the girl's high school I graduated from and given to a girl who loves to sew but is financially challanged, I trust one of the nuns will find it a good home.