Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
**********International RR3 Group 14  "Traveling Quilts"********** >

**********International RR3 Group 14 "Traveling Quilts"**********

**********International RR3 Group 14 "Traveling Quilts"**********

Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 AM

I rec'd cdcatlovers center Nov. 4th Leota. Have alot of choices of color to pick from for sure for sure.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
Originally Posted by candlequilter
This is OK Darla's center that cdcatlover put round one on.
I need help.... Have this gorgeous piece hanging on my wall and haven't a clue as to what it needs. I can't find 5 1/2 inch blocks that will compliment it.... any ideas? I need more than just a straight border but what type of piecing border should I do? Feed back would be greatly appreciated. I have found several 6 inch blocks but that's larger than what the rules call for.
Leota, just from taking a quick look at the center, my first thought was, I'd add a 5 1/2" border of one of the colors from the center and would skip the blocks and would use applique to provide "spice". I happen to love applique though and don't mind doing it but I know others don't always feel the same way. If I wasn't going to do applique, I would maybe add a piano key border using 2-3 of the colors from the center. It's so hard to say from looking at a picture though. I'd let the center hang on my wall for few days more and let her talk to you. You know she will eventually tell you what she wants next. Good luck!!! I'm on my way to town to check my mail box for a goody box from candlequilter!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lori L
Originally Posted by Leota
Originally Posted by candlequilter
This is OK Darla's center that cdcatlover put round one on.
I need help.... Have this gorgeous piece hanging on my wall and haven't a clue as to what it needs. I can't find 5 1/2 inch blocks that will compliment it.... any ideas? I need more than just a straight border but what type of piecing border should I do? Feed back would be greatly appreciated. I have found several 6 inch blocks but that's larger than what the rules call for.
Leota, just from taking a quick look at the center, my first thought was, I'd add a 5 1/2" border of one of the colors from the center and would skip the blocks and would use applique to provide "spice". I happen to love applique though and don't mind doing it but I know others don't always feel the same way. If I wasn't going to do applique, I would maybe add a piano key border using 2-3 of the colors from the center. It's so hard to say from looking at a picture though. I'd let the center hang on my wall for few days more and let her talk to you. You know she will eventually tell you what she wants next. Good luck!!! I'm on my way to town to check my mail box for a goody box from candlequilter!
Lori,
Thank you for the suggestion of appliqué after looking at it, I figured out what "she" is wanting. "She" strongly suggested appliqué on a 5 1/2 inch border :D.... I will be able to get started on this this week :D
Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM

I received Purplesharon's cat center today and I can't wait to start working....the little kittens are beautiful!! I need to hang her up for awhile and let her whisper and purr to me about what she would like to have added next. I promise to keep my 3 dogs from abusing the little ones, LOL
Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Weny shopping and I found fabric for the next border for cdcatlovers center, boy i had alot to choose from and I rec;d suggestions from friends as well. I'm thinking of combining a couplr ideas together. Good thing we have awhile vefore mailing . :P
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Wow.....are we quiet! Is everyone out there doing okay??? Thanksgiving was wonderful, I had both kids home and my house was rocking! Everyone is leaving tomorrow and it will be back to quilting for me before I leave for Boston again on Tuesday for follow up at Brigham's and Women's.
Purplesharon.......do you have any problems with having some little mice playing on your center?? I found the cutest little applique but then thought I'd better check with you first. I found a wonderful little quilt shop in Freeport Maine and got the most perfect fabric to add to your center! I can't wait to get started on it :)
Old 11-27-2010, 06:49 PM

no I don't have a problem with some little mice playing. will keep the felines happy for sure. go for it I trust your judgement. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by purplesharon
no I don't have a problem with some little mice playing. will keep the felines happy for sure. go for it I trust your judgement. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time to start playing then!!! I'll post a picture as soon as I get it finished :)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Now that Christmas part 1 for me is over I can work on my center. fabric has been bought for awhile. hope everyone had a good christmas!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by purplesharon
Now that Christmas part 1 for me is over I can work on my center. fabric has been bought for awhile. hope everyone had a good christmas!
I agree.... Now that Christmas is over, I can start focusing on my IRR round 2.
I have a question about appliquéing on quilts... should I put a stabilizer such as light weight interfacing behind the border fabric or just iron on the designs and then stitch around the edges?