Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2013 Quilt for Quilters Swap (Closed) >

2013 Quilt for Quilters Swap (Closed)

2013 Quilt for Quilters Swap (Closed)

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 PM

I sent mine priority mail because it actually was cheaper than regular 1st class.

I envy all of you who can hand sew binding on, my arthritis just won't let me, thankfully my longarmer puts the binding on for me. I can machine sew binding on but it isn't pretty.

So excited to see photos of everyone's quilt, have a great week all!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 PM

Oh I agree, the binding gets me everytime. I still have about 6 quilts to bind.

Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
I mailed mine today also, should arrive next Tuesday, wonder why the difference? Must be farther to go! My Partner mailed today also and I will get my quilt on Tuesday as well! Doing happy dance!

I feel really good getting a lot of projects finished that have been on the back burner for a while! But I have very sore fingers doing a lot of binding by hand!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM

I know how you feel, my fingers get so stiff when I bind,my arthritis also kicks in. I try and keep my fingers moving but I pay for it. I may have to have my right knee replaced soon, Dr says it gone?? Will wait & see for sure.

Originally Posted by shortmom5 View Post
I sent mine priority mail because it actually was cheaper than regular 1st class.

I envy all of you who can hand sew binding on, my arthritis just won't let me, thankfully my longarmer puts the binding on for me. I can machine sew binding on but it isn't pretty.

So excited to see photos of everyone's quilt, have a great week all!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 AM

oh that is not a fun surgery buddy's mom! I wonder where that knee went too? you have to keep a leash on those things I think as mine took off on me years ago several times!

when I bind I can do about 2 to 3 hours of hand stitching then the old finger cramps kick in. Suddenly what my fingers go from just being short and stubby to.. CLAWS! like some magic act happens and they just contort into amazingly different shapes that I have to pull and stretch out to turn them back into stubby fingers! but anytime I try to machine stitch my binding down it looks fine on one side and goes on and off on the other. I hate that so its back to being the claw for me. ps love the sneak peak. all those quilted flowers how pretty can't wait to see the entire quilt.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM

I can tell you I'm glad my partner and I have finished our swapping - - - we each have our quilts. Done! I'm looking forward to seeing lots of pics of others' quilts. Jane
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM

That binding is the bugger for me as well. that seems to be the hardest part. Ok, I have cheated, or was realistic, and machine stitched mine down. I do it on baby quilts, table runners, scrap quilts, and quilts without purpose but to be donated to child group. The special ones that are to be in show or this swap, i do the hand sewing on.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Since I am working on getting some old projects finished and out of my space! I took the advice of the experts (anyone who agrees) and machine stitched the binding on my daughters quilt!

I am not kidding as far as the quilts I have made in the past, this one is one of the most striking ones! I used a Batik jelly roll and black Kona fabric! Amazing! it looks so awesome. Then to be super extravagant I sent it to the longarm here in town! I got her name and number right here! She is awesome, and very reasonable! Carol, I will get her user name and give her a great vote of confidence..

The pattern she quilted was Dragonflies, and seriously it is amazing! OK I know Pictures! I will do that, I have to log off here and get on my lap top, this computer is not very picture friendly! Anyway I am so pleased with the results I am giving it to my daughter early. Her birthday is in September but she is getting it on the 30th of June. I can't wait, I have a really bad capacity to keep secrets too!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 AM

I suck at those too Mary BUT I did keep this one a secret from Twinrivers we didnt tell each other patterns, sneak peaks nothing only these are the possible fabrics or this is the line of fabrics that was it. It was tough! With everyone here its killer but lucky for me lol I forget a lot so when I put things away for holidays.. I put them allin one spot so come that time I can pull out my things and sometimes get this.. I surprise myself with what I find! lmao

I love the dragonfly quilting that was done. Gotta ask does your quilter use a computer program for her quilting? I do hope she posts her quilt for everyone it is so perfectly Marybeth. Your daughter will love it I am positive. Of course you do know come Sept she will be waiting for 'her gift' again so maybe you can whip up one of your beautiful table runners for her too! just dont start right now or your making ANOTHER gift too!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM

I know how you feel, my fingers get so stiff when I bind,my arthritis also kicks in. I try and keep my fingers moving but I pay for it. I may have to have my right knee replaced soon, Dr says it gone?? Will wait & see for sure.

So sorry to hear about your knee. I know that surgery can be kinda of tough, but on the bright side you can get alot of projects done while your recouping.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Her name is Carol and her Id here is quilttiludrop, she does amazing work. I had one of the quilts done in butterflies and the other in Dragonflies, I don't know what it is with me and bugs lately! LOL. Her prices were very reasonable and I was able to drive over to her house and check out her set up, which is very nice! I will be going back, when I can justify the expense! UGH, that is the hard part spending money on it when I spend so much already on quilting!

I will be away from the computer for a while, we had a family emergency and I am sure I will be heading straight to the camp site when I get back, so I will look for you all in a few weeks. Libby I will try and figure out a way to let you know I got your quilt, but won't post pictures till I get back late to mid July.

Good luck with your quilts everyone and I hope you all are happy with them and enjoy your summer~

Marybeth