Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

I had a great time opening my 'Candies' today, looking at all the different fabrics. It's surprising how many are ones I've used in projects.
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

that is so terrible Sewbizgirl....I leave my purse all the time in the car....but I won't anymore...thanks for the warning!

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I forgot all about Tuesday Tips... but here's a late one: NEVER EVER EVER leave your purse locked in your car! I had mine hidden under the seat and was only out of the car for 30 minutes. I returned to find my driver's window smashed in and purse gone. My car has an alarm system which never went off because they didn't open the door! No matter how well hidden, DO NOT leave a purse in the car. We never think this can happen to us, until it does.
    "Queen B" of the "2017/18 2.5" Birthday Swap

Quote Originally Posted by djmat View Post
    Car sticker of a guy friend..."Smile for the camera!" silver dot in the middle of black circle. Corvette never stolen.
    Another friend, widowed mother going through chemo, apartment had been robbed 2 or 3 times. One summer her radiologist gave her oldest son (7 yrs old) Radioactive sticker during one of her treatments for behaving so well in the lobby & "helping" his mother. He put the sticker on the apartment front door storm glass, voila! no more burglars! Oh, she has been in remission for 10 years! She has said many times that the sticker changed the direction of her life in so many ways!
    We have a dog bowl just outside the back door that we fill with water, "KILLER" is etched on it in BIG letters (bad guys don't see a dog in the yard & think the dog must be IN the house, so they go away. Our beagle in the house would only want to play. Not too many approach our place because our daughter wears a federal officer uniform and has a 1,000 yard stare that scares even me!
    Love the 1,000 yard scare! lol

Quote Originally Posted by bjsmith57 View Post
    Thank you for the prize Barbara.

bjsmith57
    glad you received it!

Quote Originally Posted by jarenie View Post
    Hi All,
    This is Renee, I am Jarenie's daughter. She has been in rehab for a while and I am tanking care of the board for her. She is doing well and I hope to have her home next month. She has been hand sewing, as they will not let me bring in her sewing machine. She is ready to come home and I am ready to have her home.
    Have a great day all of you great quilters.
    thanks for the update Renee...tell her quilting friends wish her well and look forward to her coming back on the board with us.

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Wow. August brings us halfway through our swap year. Already!
    Wow that was fast!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
    Since my birthday is tomorrow, I thought I'd tell you a little about me today. This week I had vein work on my legs done, so I've been in bed all week. I did do some crocheting in bed. I'm also starting to make 5 flowergirl dresses for my son's wedding the end of September.
    1.) Board name/real first name: KathyM - Kathy
    2.) How long have you been quilting - bought my first sewing machine at the age of 13 from babysitting money from that summer, now I'll be 59
    3.) Favorite quilting tool: they have come up with sooo many new gadgets, rotary cutter & mat
    4.) Favorite quilt you have made & why: I have made several Grandmother's Garden with the hexies, I do enjoy hand sewing, I usually don't like making a pattern twice.
    5.) Favorite color: I seem to go for the darker colors, if you look at my stash you don't find many lights.
    6.) Favorite flower: anything that blooms
    7.) Best advice you can give: enjoy your project or you won't like it when it's done
    Kathy thanks for the introduction!

I would love to see a picture of the grandmother's garden quilt. I started making one over 5 years ago and need the inspiration to return to that project! Also need to see how you finished off the edge and how you quilted it.

Barb

Havplenty....I love the foundation quilt. I am confused what you are doing. I have never seen that kind of quilting and it looks very interesting. Please I think you need to spell it out for me. ????

Quote Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
    I had a great time opening my 'Candies' today, looking at all the different fabrics. It's surprising how many are ones I've used in projects.
    Happy Birthday Kathy...hope your day is great!

Happy Birthday, KathyM. I'm late with your candy, I'm sorry. It will go out today.

This is the first of three quilt tops using 2.5 inch squares. I call it twenty five and nine. I used 1,079 2.5 inch squares. The nine patch is framed with 2.5 inch strips. Very easy. It is seven blocks by nine blocks and measures 70 X 90 inches. No pattern. The grey texture is from my stash so I am not sure how much I used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Karen G; 08-04-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
    Havplenty....I love the foundation quilt. I am confused what you are doing. I have never seen that kind of quilting and it looks very interesting. Please I think you need to spell it out for me. ????
    Sorry to be so confusing. I didn't want to use a foundation so I taped out a 8.5" inch square on my cutting board to use to measure out the next length strip to sew for my string blocks. I it makes sense now.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Karen G your quilt is gorgeous!! I love the twenty-five and nine idea... Thanks for sharing it.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nls View Post
    ....Havplenty, Did you cut all your strips the same width for the Lego quilt? What size blocks did you make?
    Sorry too be confusing again. The pic I posted is not of my Lego quilt but I was posting to to show what a Lego quilt looked like. I am cutting all of my strings 1.5" in various lengths and also using some of my 1.5" postage stamps as I have 1,000's from my love of PSQ and the various swaps I have been in. I am making my blocks 10.5" uf.

I will post some of my blocks soon on my QB blog. I have about 70 more string blocks to make first. I have so many scraps and short fabric pieces gotta use them up. I am still sewing blocks for my Perkiomen Daydream quilt, my 1.5" PSQ, my string quilt and my Anna Williams inspired quilt.

PSQ's and strings quilts are a journey for me and not just a destination so I sew on them all most of the time. Of course I want the Legos quilt to enter into a scrap quilt challenge online. It's due in October and I think I can make it.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Havplenty, I just spend the last3/4 hour wandering through Lazy Quilter's web site. What a good photographer she is and it gives a little glimpse into another world that has touches of ours, cowboy boots, quilts and featherweights. Thank you for the link.

Karen G...love the quilt. great inspiration!

CONTEST TIME

this contest is all about the "Row by Row Experience"
    You can find out all the answers to the questions on their website.
    The prize I give will be the pattern from my local store. (I shop all the time there this is not a copy but an original) (don't worry I spend money in the shop every time I go there).

1. How many states are participating this year in the row by row experience????

2. A participating store's name is ...."Quilting Season's" what state is it in?

3. One state has more then 100 stores participating this year..which state?

4. 2 states have only 5 stores participating name one.

5. Who is the coordinator in my state?

PM me the answer by 3pm Wednesday. Prize is very cool ! hope everyone plays this time.

Barb~

My August Birthday Candies went out Monday. Sorry I'll be a few days late, DH and I left for Boston Thursday to see the Sox's and Yankee's play for our Anniversary on the 2nd. Hope you get them tomorrow.

Happy Anniversary Gannyrosie!

Hello everyone it is TUESDAY! so it is time for a tip....anyone else have one????

My tip for today....When I am cutting out fabric for a quilt project I take all my left overs and cut them into sizes of fabric that I will use.
    for example if I have a large piece of fabric leftover ...

I cut out 1 yard piece...put it in the 1 yard pile.
    then 1/2yard piece put that in the 1/2 yard pile.
    Then a fat quarter put it in the fat quarter pile.
    Then 5x5" (usually pieces) and put them in the 5x5 bin
    then 5x2.5 put them in the in the 5 x 2.5" bin
    then 2.5" x 2.5" and put them in the 2.5" bin

Most of my project I don't have much left over usually a fat quarter, and some variety of the smaller pieces.
    This makes it easy to find fabric when I am working on a project. I always go thru my stash first! Also if I am needing pieces for the birthday swap or the candy swap I can cut up the 5 x 5 or the 2.5 x 5 to get the amount I need.
    It works for me!

Barb

I've received more "CANDIES" thank you ladies - bullock2us, nurse bonnie, let's quilt. I hope I'm not missing anyone. If you sent me one and I don't have your name listed - PLEASE let me know.
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

KathyM, Happy belated birthday! Your candy will be mailed tomorrow. I hope you have a great day and month.

Karen G, your quilt is very pretty. I will need to add it to my list of possibilities.
    Happy sewing everyone!

Karen G, love how you made that quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Well, It is Wednesday and I missed the Tuesday Tip which is just too funny considering what I wanted to pass on to all of you. I am a dyed in the wool procrastinator and my Tuesday Tip is.... When you see something that needs to be done, do it NOW! Whether it is returning all of those pieces of fabric to their proper places, a dust bunny smiling at you from under the dresser or a pan that needs a little extra elbow grease. Now is a much better time than tomorrow to care for what needs to be done. Well, I got to the office yesterday, Tuesday and put off submitting my tip, did not listen to my own advise, and here I am on Wednesday submitting late. Ah well, I am getting better... at least it is not Friday!

Birthday treats will go to the post office later today... really they will, I promise.
    Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-06-2014 at 04:21 AM.

I missed the Tuesday Tips too... and tried to think of one I could post a day late. This 'tip' may not be news to anyone, but when I run out of bobbin thread I stop and wind about 10 at one time (of white). Then when I'm sewing along I can just grab a new bobbin when I run out without stopping to wind. Seems to take less time and causes less interruption of sewing that way.

That's my 'tip'...
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast