Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2014 Birthday Swap 2.5  sign up now  !!!! >

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM

Hello Ladies
Sorry I have been missing in action since (april 11th) . Long story but here is the short story...I managed to break my left arm a few weeks ago and didn't realize it was broken. it hurt and it was swollen and finally went to the drs today. Dr says I have to see a surgeon to see if it needs to be set??? or re-broke since it is healing wrong. Haven't spent much time on the computer since it hurts to type.

So...thanks to sewbizgirl for the photo's...you are so fast and I love the results! I plan on making that quilt. I think maybe you need to do a tutorial on it.
What size bed will the quilt you made fit on? I need to make a quilt for a full size bed.
Benndm..sorry didn't send your prize yet. I will send it in the next few days. Also love the pattern you shared too!
Bjsmith57...I believe you have received all of your candy squares...YEAH for you!

Barb
Old 04-21-2014, 06:17 PM

Mrshalibut...love the color fading.
Gannyrosie love the rainbow quilt.

I think it is great to see everyones work with these tiny squares! very inspirational.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Leaving for the Paducah Quilt Show tomorrow night. Can't wait. I'm really fortunate that I live only 140 miles from Paduckay KY and I have an aunt there with a spare bedroom, and she likes company. I'll be on the lookout for some great fabric to swap.

Is anyone else going?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM

Have fun at the quilt show Diana.

Originally Posted by benndm View Post
Leaving for the Paducah Quilt Show tomorrow night. Can't wait. I'm really fortunate that I live only 140 miles from Paduckay KY and I have an aunt there with a spare bedroom, and she likes company. I'll be on the lookout for some great fabric to swap.

Is anyone else going?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM

Barb I feel bad about your arm..... You take care!!!

Paducah sounds so fun! I can't wait to see the treasures you find.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:55 AM

Barb, take care of that arm. You need it to.... quilt, the obvious, send messages to us, and hug grand children and a special someone too. Prayers going your way that the doctors will be wise and that you will be pain free and at ease with what ever procedure needs to be done.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

So sorry about your arm, Barbara! Hope they get you straightened out (no pun intended!) and out of pain soon.

My quilt top ended up being around 66" x 84"-- plenty big enough for a full sized bed. The bed I took the pictures on was a full size. The quilt has some overhang on either side... It took just over 800 colored squares. There are 31 16-patch blocks in mine, rows of 3 and 4 alternated, with the X blocks in between. The X blocks take 4 squares of background fabric, each 4.5" square. Then you use more candies to "snowball" the corners on the 4.5 squares, to form the points. Last of all, there is a border of 4.5 squares all the way around, with snowballed corners to complete the points on the outside edge. You should be able to follow that from looking at the pictures.

If you want to do the color families as I did, you need to sort out 24 candies that all are in the same "family", i.e., lime greens, or sage greens, bubble gum pinks, purpley pinks, etc. There are differences even within one color. You'll use 16 for the big patch, and another 8 for the points.

I made all my 16 patches first, then laid them out on the bed (or use your design wall, if you have one). Work on your placement of colors. Then you can lay out the X block squares and place the remaining 8 candies that match each block. Put together each X block. Then I sewed the blocks in rows.

Because the intersections were so thick in the X blocks, I pressed the seams open, rather than to one side. The 16 patches have the seams pressed to the sides and alternated row by row.

That's about all there is to it!

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-22-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:56 AM

Be our eyes and watch for really interesting "sweet treat" patterns too! Have loads of fun. Some day when work is over, I will be able to do things like wander Paducha for a couple of days.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Diana, I'm so jealous of your trip to Paducah! Sounds like you have the perfect set up with your aunt there... I would love to go one year. I hear you have to find a hotel room over a year in advance!

Please show us your loot when you get back!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM

I'm super slow thanking you, but I did get Birthday Candy from nursebonnie and pjjandme!!! I guess I was dragging this BirthdayPrincess out as long as I could?? lol.... Thank you ladies. This makes all my Birthday Candy RECEIVED! Now I get to send send send.