Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2014 Birthday Swap 2.5  sign up now  !!!! >

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Hope you have a fast recovery. Take care of yourself and use your time off for a little quilting.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 AM

Mamaskeeto. I see you are from Florissant MO. I hope you are a save distance from the riots in Ferguson. Sounds like there are a lot of people who are not making smart decisions. Stay safe.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

BJ, sorry to hear about your appendix. Take care of yourself and rest!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM

BJ hope you feel better very soon! Keeping you in my prayers.
hugs
dj
Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Welllllll I thought my hubby had mailed my birthday candy. He had my car all last week. Guess what I found on the back seat!!!!!! :O I mailed them out this morning..... SOOOOO SORRY.

I'm also so impressed with all y'all. We've had a few sadnesses here. So nice to see the caring and support. It warms my heart. <3
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 AM

BJ, I hope your recover is a pain less one. Take it sloooooow. Remember, If you can't sew, grab a piece of paper (or computer device), and creat on paper. It's a great time to creat the next quilt, or 2 or 20.LOL. Seriously, I'm wishing you the best in your recovery.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 AM

Tuesday Tip on Wednesday (busy day at work yesterday)

I have always frozen summer fruit and veggies when my kiddos were in the home to save money. But as a single person, I no longer need a case of this or a bushel of that. One of my local grocery stories had a bargain on strawberries this past weekend. So purchased two extra containers of strawberries and a box of pint freezer bags. I unpacked the groceries and sliced off the tops of the strawberries, into a couple of freezer bags and Ta-Da! I have some red, sweet, yummy treats for winter! I do this periodically when produce is on sale. Not as much savings as those cases or bushels but then, I don't need that much either.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by bjsmith57 View Post
Just checking in - - I had to have emergency appendicitis surgery - - so I will be recovering for the next 4-6 weeks.
Sewing is not stressful, so sit and sew a spell. Wishing you well on your recovery.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM

Ooh it looked like I have missed a few things. To those who have lost fur babies, I feel your pain and my thoughts are with you. I have lost furbabies too and I still feel the pain of their loss. I think that is why I have since rescued 4 stray kitties so far (3 live with me) and I feed many other strays.

To the group going through health recovery or issues, be well, stay stress less and you are in my thoughts.

Here is my late this Tuesday (or early next Tuesday) tip and I am not sure if this has been mentioned but I use the mini hair twists as bobbin thread holders and I use them on thread also as I usually remove those little groove hooks in the thread cone. You can buy a 300 count pack of hair twist from Dollar General for less than $2.00.

As an FYI Dollar General will soon be purchased by Dollar Tree. Consolidation of the dollar stores. Who knew?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487459[/ATTACH]

P.S. I am chin deep in fabric strips/scraps working on string blocks (80 target), Legos quilt blocks, X-String blocks and postage stamp blocks. My 1/4" sewing foot is not a scant 1/4" foot and I cannot find smaller foot so I can mark my own scant 1/4". Ugghhh.

Oh I am also making scrappy trip blocks for 2 different swaps, one here on QB and another from an online blog. So it will be most important to get the seam allowances correct for a 12.5" block. OOOh new tip: what I have done is to cut my 2.5" strips a scant over the 2.5" mark to make up for shortcomings in my presser foot. I used my ruler to mark off 2.5" on my fabric and then just move the 2.5" mark on my ruler over just a smidgen. It has been working just fine.

Overall I gotta find my other 1/4" mark presser foot.
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-holders.jpg  

Last edited by Havplenty; 08-13-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Tuesday Tip on Wednesday (busy day at work yesterday)

I have always frozen summer fruit and veggies when my kiddos were in the home to save money. But as a single person, I no longer need a case of this or a bushel of that. One of my local grocery stories had a bargain on strawberries this past weekend. So purchased two extra containers of strawberries and a box of pint freezer bags. I unpacked the groceries and sliced off the tops of the strawberries, into a couple of freezer bags and Ta-Da! I have some red, sweet, yummy treats for winter! ....
I do this with most all of my fresh fruits. I go to the farmers market, buy up melons, berries, peaches, pineapples, etc, come home slice them up and freeze them. I juice a lot and make smoothies so need the fruits often. I also buy plenty of bags of cranberries when they are on sale during the holidays and freeze those also for my smoothies and fresh juices.