Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2018 March - June Wall Hanging Swap >

2018 March - June Wall Hanging Swap

2018 March - June Wall Hanging Swap

Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 PM
  #101  
Power Poster
 
ube quilting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 10,704
Default

Anna, this is a very nice Patriotic WHing. A few gold stars would be cool over the eagle. I wonder if 13 of them would fit, one over the bird and three in each dark blue corner.

I really like how you used these fabrics.
peace
ube quilting is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM
  #102  
Power Poster
 
ube quilting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 10,704
Default

I call it false trapunto. It is just an extra layer of batting added to the back of the motif area. Baste it in place and trim any extra batting close to the edge of the motif. Then add the full layer of batting for the whole top and backing. This gives the appearance of a raised area, like trapunto without the traditional work involved in doing it.

peace
ube quilting is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM
  #103  
Power Poster
 
Annaquilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,377
Default

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I call it false trapunto. It is just an extra layer of batting added to the back of the motif area. Baste it in place and trim any extra batting close to the edge of the motif. Then add the full layer of batting for the whole top and backing. This gives the appearance of a raised area, like trapunto without the traditional work involved in doing it.

peace
Thank you for that explanation. If you decide to do it would you mind posting pictures of the steps. Would the bastig show on the front?
Annaquilts is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 02:47 PM
  #104  
Power Poster
 
Annaquilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,377
Default

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Anna, this is a very nice Patriotic WHing. A few gold stars would be cool over the eagle. I wonder if 13 of them would fit, one over the bird and three in each dark blue corner.

I really like how you used these fabrics.
peace
Thanks for the input. Time to play and see how it would look.
Annaquilts is offline  
Old 06-20-2018, 09:38 AM
  #105  
Power Poster
 
Annaquilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,377
Default Ready to be quilted

This is what I ended up adding. I also tried a star or several stars in addition but it just didn't look right. I am getting ready to quilt it.
Attached Thumbnails 20180618_210044-small-.jpg  
Annaquilts is offline  
Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 AM
  #106  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,213
Default

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
This is what I ended up adding. I also tried a star or several stars in addition but it just didn't look right. I am getting ready to quilt it.

Very nicely done! I like what you chose to add to it.
SewingSew is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM
  #107  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,864
Default

Anna, Your Americana WH is so nice. The addition of the word "liberty" (esp.in red) brings your design together perfectly.
Linny is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 02:58 PM
  #108  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,864
Default

skaduzy, really like the WH you finished, especially the colors you used. It's really pretty.
Linny is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 05:14 PM
  #109  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,660
Default

Beautiful wall hangings. Love them all.
Rumbols is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 05:17 PM
  #110  
Power Poster
 
ube quilting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 10,704
Default

Anna, the Liberty quilt is wonderful.

My power has been out since Monday so I am a little late responding. Power came back on about two hours ago.

When you do the trapunto this way you echo quilt very close to the edge of the motif. The basting is pulled out after you are done. It just helps to hold everything in place while working on it.
ube quilting is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CarolinePaj
Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
166
04-30-2018 05:37 AM
Rhonda
Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
383
07-18-2015 01:06 AM
Rhonda
Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
142
07-08-2014 03:00 PM
Rhonda
Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
399
11-07-2013 07:14 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter