Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 10-06-2020, 06:36 AM

Default Hummingbirds

Wow Bugaroo, I love the hummingbirds, the spiky triangular design really ties in well with the overall piece, and you are right, the colors wash out from a distance, that purple is so pretty. I think that is a problem in taking photos from far away, I received Iceblossom's center and the colors look so much better in person. Hugs!
Old 10-06-2020, 10:07 AM

OK, I decided to just go for it and stop moving things around. Here is the final result. I haven't done applique for several years it was kind of fun.

It's getting harder to fit the quilts in one photo so I took a couple closeups also.

CarrieM let me know when you are ready for me to mail.
Attached Thumbnails bug-final.jpg   bug-top-corner.jpg   bug-bottom-corner.jpg  
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 AM

Wow! You have me stumbling out of my lurker arm chair!
Old 10-06-2020, 11:15 AM

Mona...that is perfect!!!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Mona, that dark blue is a perfect tie-in with the center.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM

Wow! Lovely work all! And I agree about it getting harder to take pictures.

Once I quit my pity party, I've had a nice couple of days working on my round. There was actually blue sky today by the end of Tuesday group and we have a plan/place to meet next week if it is raining as expected. Lungs are still congested but nothing really to but wait it out at this point.

So when I saw this in progress coming up to me, I was thinking that I had a pretty cool opportunity to offset it even more with a 12" border on the top and one side, Was thinking basically lone star segments that would meet at the corner and look like wings, either bluebird wings or maybe white on white angel wings with blue background. Oh, it was cool and had I gotten the top at a different round I might have gone that way, but with only one more round remaining, I decided to leave the top easier to be added to.

My other thought was I wanted to wrap a ribbon around it and tie it up in a bow. Was considering a traditional ribbon border, but elected to try to keep with the bird theme. Those are actually Wild Goose units and not arrows. Six of them, for the group, all of them going the same direction but not quite... each side is slightly different.

I rarely buy new fabric any more but I ordered these ahead of time from Jordan Fabrics since they weren't going to be open for me to go there live on my birthday trip, even though there I was in Grants Pass and we actually sat in their parking lot... From Moda "Flights of Fancy" the white with tiny birds and the watercolor (also with very hard to see birds) are companion fabrics. I just thought they were sweet and lovely. The blue was from stash.

This round's song was Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole, otherwise known as the Hawaiian version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Ooxpz0Eqk
it's other song was Blue Skies, here by Willie Nelson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGZDwxnjG1g

Attached Thumbnails 100_5901.jpg   bird-rr-2-.jpg  
Old 10-06-2020, 01:05 PM

That is lovely Ice.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:20 PM

Great round, iceblossom!!! I will have to do some thinking about what I am going to add to it. Hard to believe the last round is next.

I loe both those two songs you mentioned. I've seen Willie Nelson in concert several times.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:28 PM

Iceblossom, I love the round you did on my quilt! It seems to pull it together without being busy! Thanks so much, it's very pretty!
Old 10-06-2020, 03:12 PM

Must be the day to finish borders! I got mine done on Macybaby's quilt today too!

Mona, you can mail any time. I am really not sure what I will do with Bugaroo's quilt yet...I am sure once I have it in hand it will come to me.
Attached Thumbnails mb5.jpeg