Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
5" Charm Swap - August Theme:  Browns/Tans >

5" Charm Swap - August Theme: Browns/Tans

5" Charm Swap - August Theme: Browns/Tans

Old 08-14-2018, 03:17 AM

Okay, here's a little ha ha for everyone: I was contemplating cleaning out the spare room (did not get much farther than the contemplation). I had my bag of padded envelopes in there.

Well one of the dogs (shih tzu) went in there and must have been rummaging around. She must have been playing with the strips that holds the adhesive tape. She had two envelopes stuck to her paws when she tried coming out. You should have seen her trying to walk. She was very confused trying to shake the envelopes off. LOL

Ah well....it's the little things that crack me up I guess!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:02 AM

I'll be cutting up fabric soon and getting it in the mail as soon as we have a "for sure" count.

I spent double what I had planned at the "going out of business" sale on Friday. Came home with about 140 yards of regular cotton fabric at about 2.50 a yard, and 50 yards of extra wide backing at 4.50 a yard, plus a handful of bag hardware (hooks, rings, zippers) and 220 yards of lace at 5 cents a yard. But on a good note, I gave away about 40 quilts at the reunion, so that is probably over 300 yards of fabric (front and back) so I can justify that I was only replenishing what I'd used up!

Rationalization is such a nice thing LOL.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:35 AM

So I am assuming that I need to get 9 in the mail to you instead of 12.
It will still be fun and I can't wait to see what arrives.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:52 AM

Just a few thoughts:

For those of you that want to do 9 sets, it's understandable if you want all your charms different. But if you are going for a quilt that is scrappy-- over the size of a bed quilt, it's hardly noticeable if there are two charms the same here and there, when most of the charms are different.

Plus, there are lots and lots of block patterns that use eight 2 1/2" candies, or four triangles. You can cut two charms into candies or triangles, so it can be very useful to have two charms of the same print if you plan to make blocks.

Plus, it's a better deal for the cost of postage to go to the top limit of charms.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:29 AM

Macy baby, I remember you saying you were doing the quilts for your reunion, but I had NO idea you were doing that many! Kudos to you! I bet they loved seeing you walk in! Now to organize it all. I'd love to see a picture of your bounty once you do!

givio had a good point. If you don't mind a few repeats, doing 10 or 12 makes the most sense from a postage standpoint. I don't mind having a few repeats, because...well. Hi. My name is Chris and I'm a fabric hoarder.
LOL

And like trish stated earlier, I'd rather have a duplicate of someone else's fabrics than a duplicate of my own.

It's all good, though, how ever many you decide to swap.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 AM

I've got my fabric selected and ready to cut - Just wanted to verify that we are to send 9 sets of 15 each.

I have no problem sending more if some what duplicates, I just don't want to receive any of my own back regardless of how many I send in.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Macybaby and everyone, the minimum is 10, Red did not have her name on the list. Personally I am sending 12 and hope I don't get my own back. Have a nice day.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:29 PM

I'm assuming I don't need to send one for myself, so if there are 10 and that includes me, then I only need to send 9 - provided I don't want duplicates . . . Or are we suppose to send one for ourselves just to make dividing up easier for Red?

I'm trying to get this figured out because I'm one of the few that sent too many last time and Red had to send them back to me
Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 AM

Macy, your reasoning is correct. There are 10 swappers so if you do not want a set for yourself, you'll be cutting 9 charms. Me, I'll be cutting one set for me ….. maybe more if I have lots of energy and fabrics.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:55 AM

I know I might seem anal about this - I am trying to not end up adding to my scrap pile. So what ever I cut is going to be divided up into 9 bags and sent out so I have nothing to add to my scrap pile.

If I had been thinking last time I could have taken the extras and divided them up and stuffed them into the 12 bags I was suppose to send, instead of sending the extra bags and then having them sent back to me.