Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 5" Charm Theme: I-Spy!

Blog Entries
    Went shopping today and loaded up on “conversational” prints. My most unusual find is probably the onion fabric...
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    Oh, can you tell I copied rbwieses' wording for this swap. ((embarassed look))

I guess I still don't have a preference.
    Anyone?
    I've already got over 100 unwashed squares cut (some fussy cut). I'm good with receiving either/or, but would have to drop out of a "washed only" swap.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Hmmm, I never noticed the "unwashed" and my fabric is 100% washed as I wash it before it makes it to my fabric room.

I have no problem getting unwashed squares. I figure with just squares, it's not going to cause a lot of problems.

I have problems with scents - so the only time I'd have a problem with washed fabric is if someone does use heavily scented laundry products. I can't see where sending washed fabric would cause any problems except if they ended up scented. I'd toss a pack of scented swap fabric in the outside burning barrel ASAP - scents can trigger migraines with me, and if I get a whiff of something that I think might set one off, I don't take chances.

I think I've got enough pulled from my stash to get these cut. Most are going to be fussy cut.

Question

Should I only fussy cut so everything is still straight of grain? I have some that are larger and I'd end up cutting off part of the object unless I rotate the ruler. If that is a problem, I will set those fabrics aside.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I am in again - I did find some fabric for I spy in my stash (can you imagine!!)
    I am trying to finish some UFOs. Have four quilt tops and need to get them sandwiched and sewn as the cold weather is coming and the Child Services asked for larger quilts for the older children/teens.
    Then I will attack the last month's blocks.
    The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    OK, 15 bags of 10- 5" charms each. Is this right?
    Question, Is it okay to send less bags than we sign up for? Not that I am planning to do that but you never know what is going to happen.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

I am cutting I Spy charms today. Looks like I'm good for 15 bags.

I've got mine cut - 15 bags ready to send in the mail.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
    In for 15. Would it be possible to request duplicates? I use them for zippered crayon pouches, and it's nice to have both sides match. If not, that's fine.
    I've started cutting mine. The bags will almost all be the same. I'll mark them for matching or not matching (I'm one charm short one fabric, but there appears to be plenty of the others to make 15 charms). So, is you want matching, ask for it, and maybe Redstilettos can do it.

The last swap we had, I used a lot of short pieces of fabric, so marked them all, "not for matching". Apparently, it worked. No one complained.

bkay

Welcome to those who have joined.

I am going to make an executive decision and say this can be an "either or" swap. Meaning: you can either have the fabric washed, or not, your call. Looks like we have some sensitive smell people (we do at work, too), so please keep scents minimized or eliminated altogether.

If you end up with more or less than you originally signed up for, not a problem on my end. I'm more interested in how many people. With some of our folks actually enjoying duplicates, it all works out for the most part.

I started pulling from my stash, but may end up shopping (oh the Horror! LOL)

Moonrise, your squishies arrived already!

Blog Entries
    I pulled from my stash yesterday and going shopping today. I haven't shopped in the last two months! I shopped from the internet yesterday, should get tomorrow if all goes well.
    It has been a long time shopping the internet. I can't find the names I had listed for fabrics. It would help if anyone could send a list of online quilting shops.

Count me in too! I'll try to do 15 bags. There's only 1 in my family who would enjoy an I spy quilt so I'm glad to swap 5" squares. I haven't participated since the one-color swaps.

Annie we are glad to have you back!

So far this is the list I have. Please let me know if I've missed anyone!

Hav4boys
    PamaleOry
    MaryMo
    SleepyHollow
    Bkay
    QuiltingDragon
    Moonrise
    MacyBaby
    Blhaines
    Bearisgray
    Travelinggramma
    Sunrise450
    Pinkflowers
    AnnieQuilts
    Redstilettos

Nice list so far!

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    It has been a long time shopping the internet. I can't find the names I had listed for fabrics. It would help if anyone could send a list of online quilting shops.
    One that has a lot of I spy fabric is: https://4my3boyz.com/

I've not bought from them in a long time, but they have been around for a while. You can buy smaller quantities from them, which is great when you are trying to get a variety.

Marshall dry goods has a good selection, but they have a 1 yard minimum cut.

bkay

washed or not washed

has anyone ever mixed washed and unwashed squares in quilt , just wondering if it makes a difference after the quilt is finished and washed .... my concern is not knowing if its washed or not ..... MA

can we at least ask that people label whether it is washed or unwashed if its going to be a mixture ....Id like final clarification before I start cutting ..... THX MA

I have done it a bit, but that is because the only thing I don't prewash is precut strips. My Gypsy Wife quilt had quite a few unwashed strips, and some of them were used WOF. Didn't notice any problems once it was quilted and washed.

I use poly batting which does not shrink up like cotton batting, so I think any problems would have been more noticeable. If your batting is going to shrink up, you aren't going to notice much with the fabric as it will all end up crinkly looking.

I don't worry too much about shrinkage, and have no problem using washed/unwashed squares together. I prewash because I've had problems with dies bleeding.

Mine are already packed up - so I'll just tell everyone that all of mine are prewashed.

Quote Originally Posted by matayerle View Post
    has anyone ever mixed washed and unwashed squares in quilt , just wondering if it makes a difference after the quilt is finished and washed .... my concern is not knowing if its washed or not ..... MA
    I have. I participate in the yahoo I spy swap group fairly regularly. Their rules require washing and quilt shop quality.

I've also participated in the swap on QB many times. This group does not require washing and there is no requirement for quilt shop quality. I have mixed the fabrics and don't see any problem. I have tossed some squares that seemed stiff and thin, though.

I did not know that the fabric for this group was supposed to be unwashed until this swap. I just thought you didn't have to wash.

I can't tell the difference after the quilt is washed.

bkay

I can't possibly comply with all the requests from all the participants so I may just decline participating and make my own I-Spy quilt with my bags. This is supposed to be pleasurable . . .

When it comes to fabric pieces less than fat quarter, I have mixed washed and fresh fabrics with no problems except one time with a red square that added creative interest to the quilt. I make I-Spy quilts for kids and old people, neither of which are persnickety.

Blog Entries
    I don't really care if fabrics are washed or unwashed as long they are not wrinkled.
    Found two new fabrics yesterday and goodies for Secret Santa.
    Have 3 sets finished for this swap, only 12 more to go. I am slow but can only stand for a short time.

I agree.

This is supposed to be fun. Yes, I understand those that have a preference, but as I stated earlier, I don't mind either way. For those of you who do mind, perhaps it would be best to participate in a future swap. This one is, either or (washed or unwashed, your call)

If anyone plans on dropping out, please let me know so I'm not waiting on the baggies in the mail. But since I've never had a problem between mixing washed and unwashed, I hope you decide to stay

I'm trying to keep demands/requests to a minimum, because as the hostess, we already require enough work out of y'all (goodness...names on baggies AND outside the postage bag anyone?!? LOL). Let's try to keep this simple, so we can all enjoy.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    I can't possibly comply with all the requests from all the participants so I may just decline participating and make my own I-Spy quilt with my bags. This is supposed to be pleasurable . . .

When it comes to fabric pieces less than fat quarter, I have mixed washed and fresh fabrics with no problems except one time with a red square that added creative interest to the quilt. I make I-Spy quilts for kids and old people, neither of which are persnickety.

Blog Entries
    I’m good with that red, and for those to whom it matters, I bought all of my fabrics new from a quilt store and they will be unwashed.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

All my baggies going in mail today. I can't even tell you what was washed and what wasn't. I normally wash the fabrics if they are over a yard. But many times I have pieces from estate sales,etc. All are high quality and have no smell. I have never had an issue of missing washed and unwashed quality fabric.
    You all enjoy the day - the sun is always up - it is just hiding sometimes
    The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.

thank you

Thanks everyone for replying to my question about mixing washed and unwashed , I feel better now about mixing them . I dont prewash for my own quilts but some swaps want prewashed so for those I do .

Count me in ... Ill do 15 also .... just need to know where to send

All my squares are cut and bagged up. I'm out of the padded envelopes, so I got those ordered last night. I'll be able to mail them off as soon as the bags get here!
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast