April 2016 Postcard Swap

Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Miriam had to email the pic from the phone to the iPad...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547612[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.png  
Old 04-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I made the 'fabric' by putting pieces of plastic in a plastic bag. Then I ironed the whole works between parchment paper. The first one I tried had the iron way too hot. The plastic bag on the first one was too light weight and the whole thing shriveled up and went wonky. The second try looked better - I made it bigger and had to cut it down. I free motioned on it but the first machine was leaving large loops and lots of holes. I'm thinking I needed to use a larger needle. Maybe the smaller needle allowed the plastic to close up around the hole before it made a stitch. I used a 1980s Kenmore 12 stitch to sew. I am thinking about making a bag like that by putting a bag inside a bag, parchment in the center bag and then load in the design pieces, then iron of course parchment on the outside as well as inside. Maybe it will be a bag when the parchment comes out of the center bag. The time consuming part is making the design. And getting it to stay put before the ironing. It seems to need a few layers to work right.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Miriam that is a very creative card. You are very talented.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:02 PM

miriam - you "made it work"... & where there's a will...! What kind of plastic bag did you put the plastic pieces in, to make it? Ziploc? bread bag? plastic bag that bedding comes in? I love the little melted heart. Nice!

Betty, your card is in the mail and the post office would only give me a guesstimate of about two weeks. After I got home I remembered that I forgot to take a picture of it.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

I had a zip bag from something I bought. I'm thinking the heavier kind. Then I had a thin bag to fit inside from when we got the news paper. That would be 4 layers. Then I cut pieces off every bag in the house for words. I laid them on top of the newspaper bag but in the zip bag. The iron Was on fairly low. There is no second chance. Don't forget parchment paper. When it was done it wasn't very heavy. I might have been able to iron a post card right in there but I sewed it after I sewed all over the art. I think some time I want to experiment with food wrappers. I ironed front and back with parchment. I had one other one I ruined. I pulled it out of parchment too quick and it folded over itself and melted. The bags the news papers come in are fun to make 'art' if they turn out. There is a lot of static with all that plastic. It was hard to keep the 'binding' on with no pins. I was chicken to try to fuse it.

Last edited by miriam; 04-12-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
miriam - you "made it work"... & where there's a will...! What kind of plastic bag did you put the plastic pieces in, to make it? Ziploc? bread bag? plastic bag that bedding comes in? I love the little melted heart. Nice!

Betty, your card is in the mail and the post office would only give me a guesstimate of about two weeks. After I got home I remembered that I forgot to take a picture of it.
Thank you, Carol, I can take a pic of the PC and post when it arrives. We only arrived back home this afternoon and I haven't had a chance to PM you back yet but will do so in the next day or so. I haven't caught my breath yet and I have to have DH packed for the road again as he leaves tomorrow for work.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:23 AM

Great card Miriam! Very creative!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Tumdarra, I mailed your card yesterday, he said it should arrive on Thursday. Therefore I was able to open yours you sent,,,,thank you, it's so Spring like, and the buttons are so clever. Butterfly's in the background too....thank you. Oh, I forgot to take a picture of mine, would you be able to post one ? Thanks for being my partner.....calla/Sue
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

both cards are so creative and lovely in their own ways. So talented!!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:45 PM

Miriam -- you did a great job with your Earth Day card! So original! I'm glad your experiment worked!

Tumdarra -- that's a lovely butterfly & I see the flowers are 3D -- so very nice!

I can't wait for my partner to get hers, but it's traveling overseas so will take a bit of time.