Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April Secret Pal Swap Closes March 30th noon >

April Secret Pal Swap Closes March 30th noon

April Secret Pal Swap Closes March 30th noon

Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mscupid804 View Post
OFF TOPIC: I just made a cool cupcake oven mitt but it looks wonky because it kept slipping on me. It was 3 layers thick of batting and the front and back piece and I always have problems with small projects like that where there's batting involved. I'd show a pic but am ashamed at how it looks, any suggestions on how to keep it nice and steady??? It was also THICKER when I had to join the 2 pieces (9 total) together!! I think my problem comes when I have to sew 2 separate pieces together instead as ONE WHOLE unit.
i made that pattern also and yes it is difficult to sew all of those layers together. i am waiting to try sewing it on my singer 301a and see if that helps. my sewing machine kept skipping stitches. i am going try it with a thinner batting the next time. i used warm & natural along with insulbrite. when making regular mitts, i had no problems but with the muffin top sewing it to the bottom for the cupcake one, i had all sorts of problems.

you may also try gluing the two layers together before sewing to see if that stops the slipping. i had that idea after i finished mine. haha.

Last edited by Havplenty; 04-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=mscupid804;5145156]OFF TOPIC: I just made a cool cupcake oven mitt but it looks wonky because it kept slipping on me. It was 3 layers thick of batting and the front and back piece and I always have problems with small projects like that where there's batting involved. I'd show a pic but am ashamed at how it looks, any suggestions on how to keep it nice and steady??? It was also THICKER when I had to join the 2 pieces (9 total) together!! I think my problem comes when I have to sew 2 separate pieces together instead as ONE WHOLE unit.[/QUOT

Teresa-
Don't know if this will work but I read it somewhere...suggestion was for things like this to use a jeans/denim needle...never tried it myself, although I am going to pick some up and try it myself.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by arizonagirl View Post
I believe that a
State certified U.S. birth certificate is different that the standard issued birth certificate that you receive when you order a birth certificate.
Congratulations on your trip to Alaska Louise.
it's not different. the birth certificate that you order from the records division of your local government will have a seal on it, which is the certification being referred to. what you cannot bring is a xerox copy of a birth certificate, it has to be an original. when i took my father on a cruise to a bahamian resort (about 5 yrs ago), all i needed was to get a copy of his birth certificate from the city government. if i had to get him a passport, he never would have been able to make the trip as he was very ill at the time.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=brenda21;5145396]
OFF TOPIC: I just made a cool cupcake oven mitt but it looks wonky because it kept slipping on me. It was 3 layers thick of batting and the front and back piece and I always have problems with small projects like that where there's batting involved. I'd show a pic but am ashamed at how it looks, any suggestions on how to keep it nice and steady??? It was also THICKER when I had to join the 2 pieces (9 total) together!! I think my problem comes when I have to sew 2 separate pieces together instead as ONE WHOLE unit.[/QUOT

Teresa-
Don't know if this will work but I read it somewhere...suggestion was for things like this to use a jeans/denim needle...never tried it myself, although I am going to pick some up and try it myself.
Ok now where is this cupcake or muffin pattern at? I'm making my daughter-in-law some pot holders now. that would be a cute one to make too.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=lawsonmugs;5145412]
Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
Ok now where is this cupcake or muffin pattern at? I'm making my daughter-in-law some pot holders now. that would be a cute one to make too.
Mary, I ordered mine on eBay....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Susie-Shore-...40091797607438

Last edited by mscupid804; 04-16-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

woohoo. all three sp swap packages are out for delivery today. now to get them into the hands of my swap pals hopefully to gleeful smiles.

now it time to start planning next month's handmade surprises.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=lawsonmugs;5145412]
Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post

here is a free pattern link also for the cupcake shaped potholders. i know i had another link also but cannot find it yet. i will keep looking.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=mscupid804;5145424]Thanks Teresa. I think I will wing it. They are adorable though.To much money for as simple type pattern.Again thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Swap Hosts

Received a package from HappyNana today.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 AM

[QUOTE=brenda21;5145396]
OFF TOPIC: I just made a cool cupcake oven mitt but it looks wonky because it kept slipping on me. It was 3 layers thick of batting and the front and back piece and I always have problems with small projects like that where there's batting involved. I'd show a pic but am ashamed at how it looks, any suggestions on how to keep it nice and steady??? It was also THICKER when I had to join the 2 pieces (9 total) together!! I think my problem comes when I have to sew 2 separate pieces together instead as ONE WHOLE unit.[/QUOT

Teresa-
Brenda, I have one of those, I will have to try it next time....thx!