Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Aprils Mug Rug Swap! Theme: How Sweet it is! >

Aprils Mug Rug Swap! Theme: How Sweet it is!

Aprils Mug Rug Swap! Theme: How Sweet it is!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the praise, Sewbizgirl. So glad that you like it. I have just a short time ago gotten into doing paper piecing. I found that once I could wrap my thoughts for reverse of everything it finally fell into place. I do enjoy it, and yes it is, at least for me, more precise.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Hi Dee... I have the beautiful mug rug you sent me right here in front of my computer. I just love the block... so pretty and precise. I've been enjoying it.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

paper piecing is still Greek to me. I still can't figure it out, even on a simple design like a square in a square. I need someone to show me. it looks beautiful done, so precise.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

Lynnie I keep trying too. I thought I almost had it once, but my last piece didn't go right. When I flipped it over it was wrong. I got to keep trying. lol..
Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 PM

My partner and I have made connections and we are all set to sew.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 AM

When I first started, I did our quilt guild name tag that was done in four pices then sewn togwether. It didn't make any sense to me until the end, when I put the four pieces together. My challenge was in the placement of the fabric to cover the numbered section that needs to be covered and the very first piece having the wrong side to the paper and the rest being face to face with the previous piece that was sewn. I went to YouTube and watched a couple of videos on paper piecing. It finally all fell into place once I had done it. I didn't think that I would like it, but I do.

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
paper piecing is still Greek to me. I still can't figure it out, even on a simple design like a square in a square. I need someone to show me. it looks beautiful done, so precise.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 AM

I am still waiting for a response from my partner, happylab.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Now Lynnie lol not everyone is speedy Gonzalez like you and Jaba! they will start trickling in I am sure soon enough. Please remember to post a pic when you receive them and hey if you want to take a picture of fabrics your using or a corner of your work as your going we love the tease!

I am so glad that Rosemary is starting to receive those cards. I know the road to recovery for her will be a slow one and a hard one.

I have been working with ctyankee to come up with finalized plan for next months swap. Since this one was a mix of those who made them for their partners as they chose and those who are waiting to hear what some want that next month will be our first swap that its a dead set deal either one or the other. so watch for it and read the rules when we finally get to posting it. It will be iron clad at that point. sometimes just half a year you will need to wait to find out what your partner is hoping for other months will be what you want to make with the theme. so wonder away at what the first month of this new and improved way to make sure everyone is happy tada! its only so much work you think dividing up partners but even with only 20 or 30 sign ups its a lot more work than you think. some say I do not want this I want only this others say I don't care others say I sure would like this. and well it is hard making everyone happy. We aim to please but somewhere along the way someone is going to be unhappy. This month we had 36 sign ups, Jan for Valentines day we had 42. so its not just dividing up the names. I did not give ctyankee the list of last months because its truly going to be better and easier for her just to put them in a jar and divide as they come out period. no more special requests. no I want only good quilters. that cant be done. its share and share alike here. sometimes you will get the same partner twice in a row. I am sorry for this. it just is the luck of the draw. the upside is I think that it cant possibly happen three times in a row. if that does show up we will put both the names back in the old jar (or bowl) and repull so you don't have the same experience each and every month. doubt that is possible but my luck it would happen monthly! (I am not so lucky). Please not its not done by preference. I don't want this person or that doesn't work around here. We are an equal opportunity playing community here at the quilting board. Rules state clearly that everyone is allowed to play and the board members go with this as the rule. if a person sends, does what they are asked to go no matter what their learning skill set is they are good standing players. so if you know someone needs help teach them! show them step by step how do to something. if you need help doing this ask either ctyankee or me to help them work with fabrics. people can only get better. no one can learn without trial and error, without being helped along the way. I know. I was there. I would sew for hours and then couldn't even remember how to put a bobbin in. hello I had been using the machine all day now I don't know how to do this? something so very simple was lost to me. couldn't sew a 1/4inch seam for the life of me. received one day a 1/4 foot in the mail. omg life saver. my friends here helped me learn all over again. I am ever grateful for Jaba, Marytoddliz and themamahauser for giving me their time, friendship and knowledge .. over and over and over again. finally.. it stuck. omg! so you see have faith. trust that your help matters. it is appreciated. I was never hurt by the help and often so embarrassed to ask the same question over and over. its not fun trust me. but then it stuck. I am scared to death to have surgery again and end up back at square one but I do know I have help here if I only ask. Please ASK if you need help. if you truly want to do better ask for it. ok mom here is getting off her band stand. sorry but it needed to be shared with the group. please talk to me or ctyankee for help. and any other board member who can assist ask them!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Banned

Very well said Linda!

I do not have a preference for experience, mainly because I KNOW
that my work is NOT show quality, but I try to do my best hoping
that my partner will like what I did.

My partner this month dfelker is fairly new to quilting, and machine
embroidery. Needless to say I am chomping at the bit (more or less)
to talk "shop" with her. I am not the most experience person for embroidery
but I LOVE sharing my knowledge base and hoping that along the way
I might learn something new myself from someone who is just learning
also.

I love everything that is made for me MAINLY because I know that
it is handmade... period!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Well said brat.

My dh mailed mine out today, bless him, he's the greatest husband in the world.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Oh I love paper piecing! In fact, take a look at my pineapple quilt I just finished in the pics. I made it while I was making labels. Took about a month or more but the top is done!