Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
August Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 31st 4pm CST >

August Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 31st 4pm CST

August Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 31st 4pm CST

Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Heck, I am learning a lot of history here! I sent my SP out today!It is going East of me. I can tell you this You have a Super Football team, not my favorite but one I usually cheer for as my team has not had a winning season in a very very long time. I will give you one more clue I sent out three packages today. To Texas, New York, and Wisconsin, one went to my SP the other two went????

I have to get a brag in, I knocked another ten minutes off my time today I did 3 miles in 35 minutes! I am training for a marathon in November and when I fell down those blasted stairs it threw my training off, so now I am back in. Wouldn't you know I just have to play catch up during the hottest part of the year! I run 3 miles 4 times a week and on Saturday I run distances, when I fell I was up to 11 miles, now I am back down to 5 for my long run, but I will double it every week to get in enough distance. But I gotta build my speed back up~ OK done bragging~
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Received my AUGUST sp pkg. yesterday! Nice surprise too! Box came from Nancy in Louisiana. She stuffed it with a hot pink scarf,cute little orange chicken hot handle mit,drink thermos,two magnetic to-do list which i use ALOT, threee at uters,little green notepad,baggie with several crystal lite drinks, red felt-works flower, that will be great to use on a tote, a pattern for a strip-happy wall hanging that is a FALL sceen of blackbirds and corn very colorful hot pad, a small single person FAN ,a cute shoe finger nail kit, Its hot-pink too!, an amish fabrci panel and a very big floral tote. On the very top of the box were several pieces of batting, great use of batting for cushion and pass on useful pieces. THANK YOU very much Nancy for all the goodies enclosed. Sorry about no photos....still hven't learned how to post photos. Just use your imagination .... fun box. I am working on getting mine sent out by the end of the week :-)
Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mscupid804 View Post
Use FLAT RATE and that will be nearly impossible to go over your weight limit. But I think international mailing have a weight limit, not sure.
Yeeep.. international have a weight limit even the priority boxes (these are flat rate, the envelope and the boxes) have a 20lb limit.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
Yeeep.. international have a weight limit even the priority boxes (these are flat rate, the envelope and the boxes) have a 20lb limit.
Ok.. so.. looking over the options.. It looks like this very large tyvek priority envelope (it's 15x12 which it listed 15x9 on usps.com) will cost the same as a SMALL priority flat rate box or SMALL priority flat rate envelope. But they both can only allow 4 lbs. So I might as well use the large, have the room, and not have to worry about bursting seams or anything and cram more stuff in there up to 4 pounds.

Whatever you do, don't ship express mail. Holy rape-age.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Swampfox, is it me?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by reeskylr View Post
Well...SP, I'm another one of those that left out the note. It was still sitting on the counter after I packaged the stuff in the post office.

Also, I want to apologize before hand, the BIG C - coffee - didn't make it either. It had a fight with one of the fabrics I am sending and that 'super' fabric won. It was more important

Anyways, hope you like what I sent, as it went out today heading its way West. One small fact -- The Sioux and Cheyenne nations were the dominant inhabitants before the westward expansions.
Wouldn't one get wet going west from the State of WA? Maybe they live in a houseboat? I could do that for a while!!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
Linda~sorry sweetie.....right state, wrong person.....

Oooooo... Ooooooo. Ooooooo. I live in CA, also. I'm sure Brenda's SP is me!!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by susansomethings
Ok I put my name in for August Sp & I read that we are to keep a $10 limit...but just seen pic's of a Sp who recieved a lot of stuff...looks to me a bunch more then $10 worth. Now I am wondering if what I planned on mailing is not enough...oh my! I don't want to disappoint my SP. This is my first time doing this..now don't know what to send!

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
It's simply not possible for me to stick to a $10 budget - that would barely buy you a FQ and spool of thread here, so I've had to really think about my parcels. Also, the packages have to be fairly small and/or light so the postage isn't ridiculous. Nor have I been able to make anything as I've been having a new kitchen fitted (I'm not really doing much of a sales pitch, am I? lol). However, I've put a lot of thought into them so hopefully the recipients will agree that good things come in small packages I'll find out soon!
It was my understanding that this swap was originally started to have fun getting to know other board members. It has a $10 limit so that there isn't a financial burden to participate. I know last year a couple of people discontinued after a couple of swaps because they couldn't afford more than $10, and didn't have a lot of extra time to make things either, and didn't have huge statches. They felt their sp would be disappointed because their package was smaller than so many others. I think this is why there was a limit set, so it would easily be equitable. (And maybe it is more generous in spirit to try to keep the value within the limit. just a thought). As the hostess says she has no control over what people send.
I would hope that people in the swap would enjoy what they receive and are not resenting receiving a package that may be smaller than others but meets the guidelines.

Knitette- this swap has no requirement to send fabric at all. Fabrics may be a safe bet for a quilter, but it isn't required. You could send items that common things in your region, they would be special and I think enviable (not sure that is a word) because they are imports And even if you are in the states you still are not required to send fabric either. And you are not required to spend more than $10.
Knitette if you sent me a rock from scotland and maybe a wee bit of yarn, and if someone was in Ireland and sent me a belleek cup and nothing else, I'd be doing the happy dance!!!!
So I hope you stay in and participate. Anyone who would resent getting a package that meets the guidelines but doesn't have as many items as another one, should maybe find a different swap. If people are only looking for fabric there are fabric swaps too. This one is about having fun and getting to know each other.

Please stay in and don't feel pressured to compete beyond the requirement, $10 limit and 3 pms; one to Lori that you sent your package to your sp, one to the person you receive your package from, and one more to Lori when you received your package.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Airwick and Swampfox welcome back .
Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Ok K9dancer yes the vowel thing was stating the obvious, but no more obvious than the clues stating their sp likes fabric. So here are some more. There is a fur baby, and Here is a co-ordinate 93.09770200000003