Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
August Secret Pal Swap CLOSED >

August Secret Pal Swap CLOSED

August Secret Pal Swap CLOSED

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM

And so it begins.......the hints, the questions, the jumping up and down and stalking the mailman!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Normabeth
Hi Lori
I am new to quilting and do not understand what is being swapped?
Please PM me.
Thanks
NormaBeth
normabeth welcome to the monthly swap. one suggestion would be to do a board search of "sp swap" or "secret pal swap" (search at top of page) and look at previous swaps to get good ideas on what swappers are sending. when i started this swap that is what the host suggested to me and i found it very helpful. it will give you great ideas on what types of things to send. the $10.00 spending limit is set on the items you need to purchase but many swappers supplement their packages with items from their "stash" such as fabrics, threads, craft supplies, handmade items (mug rugs, potholders, hot pads, pincushions) that they do not "count" as part of the $10.00 spending limit. you can also do a board search on mug rugs, potholders, pincushions to get some good ideas on handmade items that you can include in your swap package.

the term "squishy" is used to describe packages that are mailed in envelopes and the term "firmy" is used to describe packages that are sent in boxes. there are many things you can include in your swap package such as machine sewing needles, hand needles, thread, quilt pins, rotary blades, seam rippers, snip scissors, fat quarters, books, recipes, quilt magazines, quilt patterns, craft patterns, packages of tea or coffee, notepads, post-it notes, puzzle books (crossword, suduko, etc), hand lotions, thimbles, etc. there are so many things you can include. to help mazimize the $10.00 spending limit many swappers use joann coupons, shop clearance isles at their favorite stores, shop dollar stores, hobby lobby, walmart, tuesday morning, clearance bins at local quilt shops, yard sales, estate sales, resale or secondhand stores, ebay or online purchases, anywhere you can find bargains. many swappers include candy or some sweet goodies in their packages. once you get your secret pal's name you will be able to see what they like. while it may be a bit too hot to send chocolate now because it will melt, you can send other sweet items if your partner notes they like sweets.

about saving on postage costs (because it is extra outside of the $10 limit), i have found using the post offices regional A/B boxes to be much cheaper than using their flat rate boxes. i have sent the regional boxes stuffed full of stuff for under $6.00. using the legal sized flat rate envelopes versus the regular ones can allow you to pack more stuff for the same $4.95 flat rate cost. just box the bottom of the legal flat rate envelope and use plenty of tape and you can get a lot in one of those. if you continue in this very fun swap, when you are out shopping looking for bargains to purchase for the next swap will become second nature. just start a collection box to hold your items and when you get your next month's sp swap, you may just have to add an item or two to personalize it for that partner.

this is a very fun swap. don't fret too much about being perfect in what you swap. giving a little thought, you can create a wonderful swap package that your partner will love. i am one who does not have a stash to pull from (and i refuse to collect one (in recovery :-)), i have to buy the items i swap so i am always looking for bargains and they are out their. it just takes a bit of snooping to find them.

mary
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 AM

lori are you done with pairing names if so i did not get mine yet and if not then nevermind.

i like that i was typing this message and as i got done i got a pm and guess what it is its my sp thanks lori for all the hard work you do for us.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by mimom

nope not you, but then again if it was I wouldn't tell ya anyway.
You're a stinker. It's me. I know it.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM

OK now I am all done. If you did not get your name then please send me a pm to let me know! Thanks for being understanding with me taking so long. I lost my internet connection there for a while and also had Dr appt.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Swap Hosts

Who has Lori???
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM

is there a standard size for mug rugs, I want to make one for my sp's
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Lori a big thank you for hosting!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
I got both my sp's one is east and one is west, they gave very good descriptions in their likes and I am going to make something special for both of them. Cant wait to get started, but I have to do some houseworks first.

ok, so 30 more min in the pool then house work, I can plot my designs while sunning myself, yeh that sounds justified :)
Hmmm, I am east 8-)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 PM

I got my SP and all I can say is WOW...Lori, your fantastic..You have a gift :-) ..My SP likes just about everything I do and what I made has her favorite colors in it..I am finished with making it and since I got it done early..I may have time to make something else for her :thumbup: